Kozzy Pickett Re-Signs for 4 Years

4 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

They are professional players, sorry but sentimentalism is not part of professional sports (or any profession for that matter).

Interesting. Yep it's professional and it's a workplace.

Sometimes you turn down bigger $ and packages to stay at a place because you love the team and environment you work in.

I think that's been a thing this club was missing until Roos and Jackson came on board.

Culture, environment and success are probably the three big things for player retention.

Sometimes they'll still leave for the money etc but we seem to be Retaining most of our key players which is a really good sign.

We've also been attracting better players as well.

Can't believe the media noise on this. If I was Kozzy, I'd be delaying signing and hoping for a cracker start to the season to get the best deal possible at our club hopefully.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Grand New Flag said:

This is absolutely correct.  I spoke to a Board member after the Essendon victory very early in the season last year.  He essentially told me Jackson was likely gone.  Last week spoke to the same Board member about Pickett. The Board, and the greater MFC don't see him leaving. Pickett nor his manager have ever expressed a consideration to leaving....... to the contrary.  This was not the experience with Luke whose mum put enormous pressure on to return to Fremantle.  Expect a new contract to be signed by Pickett in the first half of the season.

So essentially they’re just holding off because Kosi is backing himself to demand more money / years by mid season?

49 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

They are professional players, sorry but sentimentalism is not part of professional sports (or any profession for that matter).

Sorry, but your remark does not bear on my comment about the length of time a drafted player should be contracted for. Sentiment has nothing to do with giving a club appropriate return on their investment in developing a drafted player.  The clubs are professional organizations too.

3 minutes ago, sue said:

Sorry, but your remark does not bear on my comment about the length of time a drafted player should be contracted for. Sentiment has nothing to do with giving a club appropriate return on their investment in developing a drafted player.  The clubs are professional organizations too.

Sorry I was trying to support your statement about the "happiness" element on this. As said before, they are professional AFL players, don't want to live interstate then don't becomes an AFL player. I guess they also have the academy route if they wish to remain in the same city?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Richo was just on SEN, interviewed by everyone's favourite shock jock in Kane Cornes.

Nothing much to add to the obligatory Kozzie question that came his way, other than "we're confident where things sit" and "Kozzie loves his club."

Sounds like this is the company line that will be trotted out for the near future.

Richo was a bit of a smart alec to Kane when he asked Kane if he was speaking to Kane Cornes or Jason Cripps of Port.

Richo also dropped the first bit of ill will I've heard from the club towards Luke Jackson. When asked at what point he thought LJ was gone, he said for basically the entire season they were confident without really knowing, but then sounded dismayed when he read Freo's website confirming that Jackson had chatted with Fremantle mid season.

Thanks BBP for posting the details  

This bit really pisses me off and shows a total lack of respect for the club. 

Hope Kozzie doesn’t follow Jackson’s lead with this. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DemonOX said:

Thanks BBP for posting the details  

This bit really pisses me off and shows a total lack of respect for the club. 

Hope Kozzie doesn’t follow Jackson’s lead with this. 

You've only now realised that Jackson wasn't particularly respectful of the responsibility his natural talent required of him?

Immature and thick as a plank

Kossie is gone but for different reasons. 

It's still a drag though.

With luck Kossie will give us a season of competitive magic and a flag , rather  a quarter of talent pitching for  a self entitled future

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, IRW said:

You've only now realised that Jackson wasn't particularly respectful of the responsibility his natural talent required of him?

Immature and thick as a plank

Kossie is gone but for different reasons. 

It's still a drag though.

With luck Kossie will give us a season of competitive magic and a flag , rather  a quarter of talent pitching for  a self entitled future

Is that your opinion or are you in the know?

It’s helpful to start off any opinion based sentence with “I think” it helps the nufties like me to tell the difference between fact and speculation. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

So essentially they’re just holding off because Kosi is backing himself to demand more money / years by mid season?

A common theme in the Stan doco 'Show me the money 2' , is that agents believe players first want to get a game, then play in successful teams, then money.

I suspect this is true and will drive Kozzie.  He'll always get a game anywhere, so where is his success trajectory.  Dees have that covered too.   Just hoping.

But do we now hope for a Power implosion in the first few rounds, Koschy gets involeved and shoots his mouth off, Ken feels the heat, and Kozzie sees where the green grass is - @ the G.????    Not Adelaide oval.

I think Luke's call was different, but he believed Freo showed something so it may be not too bad he thinks. - he hopes.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Grand New Flag said:

This is absolutely correct.  I spoke to a Board member after the Essendon victory very early in the season last year.  He essentially told me Jackson was likely gone.  Last week spoke to the same Board member about Pickett. The Board, and the greater MFC don't see him leaving. Pickett nor his manager have ever expressed a consideration to leaving....... to the contrary.  This was not the experience with Luke whose mum put enormous pressure on to return to Fremantle.  Expect a new contract to be signed by Pickett in the first half of the season.

I don't take any comfort from this. Why would Pickett or his manager express a consideration to leaving? What's to be gained? And the only contrary position is that a timeframe for contract negotiations are already in place. I didn't get that impression from Richo's interview.

• Like 2

Win the Premiership this year and I think he stays. 

On 3/3/2023 at 10:09 AM, Grand New Flag said:

I do hope you have the correct mail.   Hope he has a fantastic start and we pay him 50% more !

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Is that your opinion or are you in the know?

It’s helpful to start off any opinion based sentence with “I think” it helps the nufties like me to tell the difference between fact and speculation. 

I know all the signs are there 

Occam's razor

I do like the unfolding deliberate development, apparently, of the midfield/forward 'waxing'(*) between Kozzy and Trac, as a logical up-shift in the team's flexibility and unpredictability and particularly for the increased engagement and centralising of Kozzy in the team and with his brother teammates.

(* For you younger folk, that means a turn-for-turn sharing, not a bonding visit to a salon...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

I do like the unfolding deliberate development, apparently, of the midfield/forward 'waxing'(*) between Kozzy and Trac, as a logical up-shift in the team's flexibility and unpredictability and particularly for the increased engagement and centralising of Kozzy in the team and with his brother teammates.

(* For you younger folk, that means a turn-for-turn sharing, not a bonding visit to a salon...)

I well remember 'waxing' in kick to kick at primary school.

• Like 1

Didn't get a tonne of it today in the middle - but gee he's a natural there.

Sublimely fast around the packs - once he has the pill, Everything just opens up for him. There were a couple of little shimmies in traffic, the field opening up as a result today that just reminded me a little of the Macedonian marvel Peter Daicos... Reckon this kid could be at that level by the end of his career

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 9:43 AM, Bombay Airconditioning said:

It’s only going to get worse. Look at GWS, GCS and if Tassie gets a team….

Exactly I think we should follow the NFL model. 4 year rookie contracts with 5th year options and ability to franchise tag players. Clubs have the option to cut rookies after 2 or 3 years without any penalty. The trade off is once their rookie contracts/5th year options are up they become FA's for life, not just at the end of that contract (assuming they are not franchise tagged).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1