Farewell Brodie Grundy

Ouch!

48 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

I think this is the third week in a row that Brodie has been named on the extended bench or as an emergency.

Can't imagine it's for anything other than cover for Max in case of a last minute injury or such.

Late call-ups can come from those not named emergencies, so IMO emergencies these days are almost symbolic more than anything. I think we name the emergencies to signal to the squad who is next in line. 

• Like 5

Three weeks ago, I expected Grundy to return at some stage. Now, I'm not so sure. 

Gawn's form has been astonishing. Moreover, his fitness is incredible; three consecutive weeks he's played 100% TOG in the 4th quarter and dominated his opponent. Maybe he can go solo for another four weeks until the pre-finals week off. I'm sure he and the club will have a good idea of what he's capable of. 

Also, cannot imagine Gawn being rested or managed. So, the only way to reduce his workload is to bring in Grundy. Petty and JVR are not getting omitted - and I wouldn't want to lose a running player - so I can't see how Grundy comes in without weakening the team.

I like that Goodwin is talking about doing whatever's best for the MFC in terms of selection. While Grundy should be treated with respect, we shouldn't be distracted by sentimentality or media narratives. We're at the business end of the season with an excellent shot at the premiership. That's where the focus needs to be. 

Edited by speed demon
Typo
  • Like 10
  • Thinking 1

you have to feel for Brodie. a star young player signs one of the biggest deals in AFL history only to be shafted by the Pies and forced to leave against his will.

now he is playing vfl. because he is hamstrung by this crazy deal

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

13 hours ago, Demonstone said:

I recently heard about a new young adult novel in which Schrodinger’s cat and Pavlov’s dog team up together and get into all sorts of whacky adventures.

Just the perfect birthday present for my nine year old niece I thought, and so dropped into the local bookshop to buy a copy for her.

The owner said my description rang a bell, but he wasn’t sure if it was there or not.

Well he only needs to take a quick look.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DubDee said:

you have to feel for Brodie. a star young player signs one of the biggest deals in AFL history only to be shafted by the Pies and forced to leave against his will.

now he is playing vfl. because he is hamstrung by this crazy deal

Signing a 7 year contract on huge money comes with a significant amount of expectation and pressure. It would be fair to say that Grundy hasn't come close to performing at the level that that contract requires over the past three years. If he signed for five years at $700K, I reckon he may well still be at Collingwood, but he and his manager pushed for maximum value.

Ultimately the next move is his. He can stay at Melbourne on his current deal and fight for a spot in the senior side, or he can agree to terminate his contract and look for another club. I'm sure plenty of clubs would be interested, but he might have to price himself at $600K for three years. What's worth more to him - the security and money of his current deal, or being a number one ruckman again?

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

30 minutes ago, poita said:

Ultimately the next move is his. He can stay at Melbourne on his current deal and fight for a spot in the senior side, or he can agree to terminate his contract and look for another club. I'm sure plenty of clubs would be interested, but he might have to price himself at $600K for three years. What's worth more to him - the security and money of his current deal, or being a number one ruckman again?

No way is he going to terminate his contract to have 1 year less and a total of around $1.8 million less, he'd stay for sure if that were the case. His alternative's are either to stay and fight for his spot or go elsewhere only if a trade can be arranged, but no way is he getting that much less time and money. 

• Like 2

As someone else said here ... Grundy has provided great value in the sense that we've now got a fit & firing Gawn at the right time of the year

Max looks totally rejuvinated and that couldn't have happened without a Grundy type to often take the burden

And we can manage Gawn & Grundy ongoing for the next 4 weeks and then September

So it's the sum of all the parts not the micro image that only the media want to see

• Like 9

On 8/3/2023 at 9:34 PM, titan_uranus said:

Late call-ups can come from those not named emergencies, so IMO emergencies these days are almost symbolic more than anything. I think we name the emergencies to signal to the squad who is next in line. 

It's an effort to placate egos and try to maintain morale.

I do feel sorry for Grundy. He's a talented player but now looking at the experience in a whole new light one does start to wonder what the club was doing. I mean Max is probably one of the greatest rucks to play the game. Why were we trying to limit his time in this role? I get he's not a young player anymore but neither is Grundy. Maybe it was a good move in terms of an immediate back up rman which fortunately worked when Max went down. And maybe it's been a good move in that it hasn't really cost us an arm and a leg. But seeing Max play the way he has lately, it does start to seem that it wasn't fully thought through. I don't think Grundy will play again this year which leads to the probability the bloke would understandably seek opportunity elsewhere.

• Thinking 1

Doubt Grundy wants to be a VFL player, could easily be in the running for the main gig elsewhere i.e Port or be the main man at the Eagles. Its pretty strange that we arent using him this weekend to give Gawn a lighter load, Grundy has had very limited opportunities to show his worth and get back into the team too.

Edited by david_neitz_is_my_dad

1 hour ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

Doubt Grundy wants to be a VFL player, could easily be in the running for the main gig elsewhere i.e Port or be the main man at the Eagles. Its pretty strange that we arent using him this weekend to give Gawn a lighter load, Grundy has had very limited opportunities to show his worth and get back into the team too.

Grundy playing at VFL level for the rest of the year isn't going to dissuade clubs from pursuing him. Other clubs know that his value is as a no.1 ruckman, so if he returned to the team alongside Max, his value won't increase.

• Facepalm 1

Cannot be considered a back up ruckman only. Gawn or and Grundy need to kick goals especially when Petty is not playing. I think Grundy will be there next year. Interesting Goodwin has stated that Grundy isn't going anywhere , wasn't the same said about Jackson !!!!!!

24 minutes ago, COOLX said:

Cannot be considered a back up ruckman only. Gawn or and Grundy need to kick goals especially when Petty is not playing. I think Grundy will be there next year. Interesting Goodwin has stated that Grundy isn't going anywhere , wasn't the same said about Jackson !!!!!!

All the talk about Grundy being at another club next year is fake news by the stupid media, he ain’t going anywhere. I’ll bet another Demonland tattoo on it. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 3

So why did w e offer him a contract In my view we still haven't seen his best yet

He is much fitter now and I think he will go gangbusters tonight

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, old dee said:

IMO tonight's game will decide whether he stays or goes in 2024. 

What, one wet evening game will decide whether he stays or goes? 

I think whether he goes or stays is really up to him and it will be based on more than just tonight.

I think given the current situation, we are happy to keep him and honour his contract. 

• Like 3