Steven May Suspended by the Club

Satan

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

The so called 'drip feed' isn't coming from the club. 

Any info after Max's media conf is from ambulance chasing commentators digging into what happened and nearly everyone comes up with a slightly different version which leads to frenzied headlines about 'twists' and 'new information'.

If the players or the club have deliberately withheld critical information the AFL will find out and we take what comes our way. 

But, I don't think naming the players at the dinner, who said what to who, who stood up to May, where the players were before or after dinner etc as critical information nor is it relevant.  Digging for that sort of stuff is just mud raking and the guesswork they make around that is what is being 'drip fed'.

Btw, according to Sam McClure the dinner was in a private dining room.

Staple gun locked and loaded. Present foreheads!

Luci = The Voice of Reason. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Evidence or not, that's what the rules are and May knew them.

But for the sake of said evidence:

A standard concussion timeline looks something like this:

Injury day.

About 3-5 days later, your symptoms reach their peak (worst).

Within 7-10 days, your symptoms should be resolving.

Then, within 21-33 days, your brain metabolism should be back to normal.

Source: How long after a concussion can you drink alcohol?

Thanks.  But if you read that full article it seems he provides no real data and he basically says booze is no good for you so it's probably worse if you are recovering from something.   Fair enough.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, sue said:

Thanks.  But if you read that full article it seems he provides no real data and he basically says booze is no good for you so it's probably worse if you are recovering from something.   Fair enough.

If you google it, there's a ton of articles about drinking while recovering from concussion.

2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Yep, I used to think 'Gee Goody is so boring in pressers', but these days it's more 'Thank god Goody is so boring in pressers'...

Although, his whack in regards to 'joining the dots' was a little peek into his internal thoughts IMO.

Yes, he's always been the AFL's version of Bill Belichick!  Who, by the way, could be considered the best ever coach (in a league where parity is a striving point - the NFL)

So I really like Goodwin's deadpan approach ... but I understand it's not for the majority

• Like 3

And on it goes...

"AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said on Friday the league had intervened on Thursday because of new information.

“I think they [the integrity unit] are always looking at stuff and when more information comes to hand, then I think there’s always an open book and that’s what’s happened here, that there more information has come to hand than earlier in the week and that’s why they’re having a look at it,” McLachlan said on 3AW.

McLachlan did not rule out the possibility that May and Melksham could face more sanctions."

Asked if the AFL had CCTV footage of the incident, McLachlan replied: “The integrity unit will be working through that process and so whatever information is available, and there’ll, obviously, be interviews, and if there’s other information, they’ll be working through it.”

broken-some-trusts-goodwin-says-may-melksham-fight-was-embarrassing

New information doesn't mean players or the club withheld it but I sure hope they didn't.  New info could come from anywhere or anyone.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Demonland said:

Unfortunately I know some very intelligent people who received that same clearly fake message and fell hook line and sinker for it.

As you mentioned variations of this same message go around with every controversy. They seem to get more ridiculous every time. I imagine that many people believe them and no matter how far fetched they are eventually become fact to many people.

Exhibit A?

6019DB6C-E7B8-4999-A1D7-B2E50F7F080A.jpeg

5 hours ago, sue said:

But if you read that full article it seems he provides no real data and he basically says booze is no good for you so it's probably worse if you are recovering from something.

A lot of the articles on alcohol consumption and brain injury are similar. Actual studies with real data are more nuanced. e.g.

"Alcohol Consumption Does not Impede Recovery from Mild to Moderate Traumatic Brain Injury"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27534259/

Even the linked article in the original post says "The takeaway was that alcohol consumption neither hurt nor helped the recovery in concussion patients."

Though personally, if I had a concussion not sure I'd be going out and getting smashed. Though also personally, if I was an AFL footballer, not sure I'd be getting smashed during the week in any case, I don't know how they do it. Interesting that Frederick was banned because he'd broken Fremantle's no drinking on a 6 day turnaround rule, which is in place because as Longmuir pointed out, drinking isn't great for recovery.

Edited by bing181
  • Like 2

I’ve refrained from commenting on this debacle but I just cannot for the life of me believe that we have a situation where a fight occurred because one player bad mouthed another when respect for each other was the key to the 2021 success.

Top four is far from certainty now, massive danger signs and if somehow we do get to a 25-30 point lead on Monday it will be fascinating to see if the team has the willingness and desire to go on with it or will they just shut up shop like the past two weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

54 minutes ago, bing181 said:

A lot of the articles on alcohol consumption and brain injury are similar. Actual studies with real data are more nuanced. e.g.

"Alcohol Consumption Does not Impede Recovery from Mild to Moderate Traumatic Brain Injury"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27534259/

Just to clarify, you have quoted the title of the paper, which is the assertion being tested, not the conclusion of the study.

The actual finding from that one is: "Conclusions: Alcohol may not significantly alter long-term outcome from mild to moderate TBI."

But for reference, that study is from 2016.

If you look at more recent reputable studies most, if not all, say that while the specific data isn't clear yet, the surrounding data around concussion and alcohols effect on the body and brain make it abundantly clear you should not drink after a concussion until at the very least a medical professional has advised it's safe to do so.

Given May was under protocols from medical professionals as to when to not drink, I think it's safe to say what their recommendation is for concussion recovery.

Of course, this also doesn't take into account that data shows you're more likely to drink more when concussed (if you choose to do so), and more likely to cause yourself another concussion if drunk.

Pretty surprised anyone can argue it's not a bad idea really.

Edited by Lord Nev

7 hours ago, pineapple dee said:

Having the AFL integrity unit investigating this incident is akin to having the Irish government set up a squad of Leprechauns to help people find pots of gold.

The AFL has no business using the word 'integrity ' under any circumstances 

According to the official bookmaker of the AFL - "integrity" is currently at $4.20 and the smart money is coming for "no integrity" at $1.72.

If you are looking for value this weekend combine "integrity" with "No further investigation required" and "We've gone through the Due Diligence" and you can get them at $8.00 this weekend in our "same AFL Investigation multi." 

But as always when we bombard you with gambling ads on TV, radio, the internet, the newspaper and billboards and really mean it as a token gesture fully knowing it actually doesn't do anything to deter...gamble responsibly.

Edited by 13thFlagIsComing
  • Like 2
  • Haha 11

7 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

If the AFL intervenes and gives May an extra week or 3, can someone suggest why the AFL allowed J De Goey to rip up round 1 despite spending a night in a NYC clink for alleged assault...

How does the process work with an AFL investigation? Can we appeal in same way we can with normal suspension arising from something that happened during a game?
It would seem a massively unfair for DeGoey not to receive any ban but May gets more than the club enforced week. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Colm said:

How does the process work with an AFL investigation? Can we appeal in same way we can with normal suspension arising from something that happened during a game?
It would seem a massively unfair for DeGoey not to receive any ban but May gets more than the club enforced week. 

it's the afl......they can do what they like

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Demonland said:

Unfortunately I know some very intelligent people who received that same clearly fake message and fell hook line and sinker for it.

As you mentioned variations of this same message go around with every controversy. They seem to get more ridiculous every time. I imagine that many people believe them and no matter how far fetched they are eventually become fact to many people.

I know some very intelligent people who are easily sucked in all the time.

• Like 1

Based on what has been said and what I have read so far, I have no problem whatsoever about Melksham taking a swing at May.

Any player drunk or sober would have been quite within his right to do the same, and to actually say that, the person who copped it should have been aware of what might have been coming, drunk or sober as well

I regard this comment as tantamount to calling someone somewhat inadvertently a coward, and I presume Melksham took it that way as well.

I may be wrong with this so be it but no one is perfect

• Thinking 1

8 hours ago, Vipercrunch said:

I'm more surprised that all of these sort of incidents (and even rumours of events) aren't thoroughly investigated by the AFL as good governance.  Surely as soon as an whisper of off field event comes to light, shouldn't the AFL be on the phone to clubs to find out whats gone on?  This announcement of an investigtion seems to be nothing than pandering to the media.

Exactly. 

I'm happy for the AFL integrity department to investigate.

If any of the players have gold porkies to the club then they deserve their right wack.

The problem with picking and choosing which incident they investigate is they open themselves up to accusations of selective investigations and/or having an agenda.

And if every incident was investigated the players involved in any incident would be less likely to withhold key information.

• Like 4

On 6/7/2022 at 11:15 AM, Ham said:

An individual punishing the team by their behaviour. 

Now that the one-match ban has been awarded, let's hope that Steven is not ostracized by any sector of the Club beyond a recognition of wrong-doing - and enabling them both to rapidly move forward  to a more harmonious team/environment. Same for the Melk, who is competing against a considerable talent array within the Club. Both players have been under immense strain and pressure across a considerably long journey, overcoming injuries and doing their best to meet the needs of the Club, the Team and the fans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, willmoy said:

I may be wrong with this so be it but no one is perfect

Lets just stick with this shall we.

Edited by dworship
Clarity
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, drysdale demon said:

I know some very intelligent people who are easily sucked in all the time.

What is said and what is heard are often a difficult divide. I think that's where the term "Chinese whispers" comes from.

Having said that; I have no idea why the Chinese are being blamed but I'm sure someone will be outraged!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

If the AFL intervenes and gives May an extra week or 3, can someone suggest why the AFL allowed J De Goey to rip up round 1 despite spending a night in a NYC clink for alleged assault...

Still can't remember hearing any explanation for the Dusty chop sticks incident.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, dworship said:

What is said and what is heard are often a difficult divide. I think that's where the term "Chinese whispers" comes from.

Having said that; I have no idea why the Chinese are being blamed but I'm sure someone will be outraged!

I don't think I will comment on that, my intelligence will not allow it.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, loges said:

Still can't remember hearing any explanation for the Dusty chop sticks incident.

To be fair, the Dusty chopsticks incident didn't compromise the integrity of Dusty, Richmond or the AFL so,clearly, no investigation was warranted !!

• Haha 2