Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Steven May Suspended by the Club

Satan

1 minute ago, PaulRB said:

Drawing a long bow here, but a comment up the thread about Adam Goodes and latent racism in australia has me thinking… why wasn’t the DeGoey incident investigated but the May one is to be..? 
why the pile on?
Would it have been a different reaction if it had been TMac instead of May? 

no a strong opinion on it, but was curious to ask the question? 

I'm more surprised that all of these sort of incidents (and even rumours of events) aren't thoroughly investigated by the AFL as good governance.  Surely as soon as an whisper of off field event comes to light, shouldn't the AFL be on the phone to clubs to find out whats gone on?  This announcement of an investigtion seems to be nothing than pandering to the media.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Go the Biff said:

FMD - some long bows are being drawn in this thread

I got sent a screenshot of a text that contains some ridiculous claims that suggests the May/Melksham incident is just the tip of the iceburg. Choosing not to post it because it seems like unsubstantiated BS to me, and I don't want to get banned!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

Drawing a long bow here, but a comment up the thread about Adam Goodes and latent racism in australia has me thinking… why wasn’t the DeGoey incident investigated but the May one is to be..? 
why the pile on?
Would it have been a different reaction if it had been TMac instead of May? 

I don’t have a strong opinion on it, but was curious to ask the question…

Yeah I mean all de goey did allegedly was harass and forcibly touch a female and beat up a bloke at a club

but he had a good lawyer and a club with a poor culture so he missed zero games.  should have missed 10 imo

damn right there should have been an investigation by the AFL but they don't want the bad press overseas

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DemonWA said:

I got sent a screenshot of a text that contains some ridiculous claims that suggests the May/Melksham incident is just the tip of the iceburg. Choosing not to post it because it seems like unsubstantiated BS to me, and I don't want to get banned!

The fake message that has circulated social media about bikies and likening Goodwin to Bomber Thompson? Complete and utter garbage 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Demonic Power said:

Players have punch ons all the time - at all clubs - and will continue to do so as long as they have testosterone in their young, cashed up bogan brains.  It's no big deal.  Having a drink with a meal is not going to affect the state of May's concussion in any significant way.  Sticking too rigidly to any made-up rule is foolish.  This is such an over-reaction.  May and Melky are still good mates.  Why should a momentary rush of blood mistake punish the whole tribe!  You need a nuanced approach to all forms of justice.  

There are far more effective ways to discipline May - a massive fine, community service, get May to talking with the whole team, pledging to do better, counselling and so many more sensible, mature options.  Suspension is incredibly dispropotionate for a momentary lapse.  May has made great contributions as a leader and role model on and off the field for years now at the Dees - he's been a great indigenous role model, he captained an AFL club for years ... and what gets the most attention? A brief spat in a restaurant.

Don't punish the whole team, club and all the supporters by dropping the player we've been missing the most!  

The assumption that a suspension to May is inevitable is narrow-minded, inflexible and illogical.  The coaching staff and leadership group need to question their own out-dated system of player guidance.  This sort of Primary School teacher - head prefects/leadership group, "young boys won't behave unless you smack them hard", holier than thou - think we're doing the difficult but right thing (when you're doing the opposite on both counts) - punishment is illogical, psychologically flawed and doesn't actually work. Did a total of 23 weeks suspensions turn Dermott Brereton into an angel overnight?  May is 30.  Do you expect him to change dramatically because of this one week suspension?  The penalty may sounds tough, disciplined and "professional" to people that don't examine it fully - people who are comfortable with simplistic approaches to human psychology, who say things like "culture starts at the top", "there's no choice - he has to be suspended".  It's simplistic and lazy thinking.  This suspension is counter-productive in so many ways.  May would play a blinder on QB - to redeem himself - in front of a big crowd and TV audience. Then you'd see him move on, with his head held higher and be energised to do better on and off the field.  Now he just stews for a fortnight - having been already effectively 'suspended' for 2 weeks by an accidental concussion.  Your consigning him to 5 weeks between games.

Has anyone contemplated the fact that concussion can lead to irrational behaviour?  We need to discipline him and work with him in a much more considered, mature and professional way.  He's a tough, commited player and a decent guy - but human, like us all.  He lost his temper.  I lose my temper more than I lose my sunglasses or umbrella!

And imagine if the leadership group re-asses their decision and come up with a better plan for Steven - and the Pies hear May is free to play now.  Let's turn this into a positive (we need it right now!!!) and not shoot ourselves in the foot / cut of our noses to spite our own face.

I'm sorry but this is silly.

This isn't the SAS, our players are vital assets and there is a bunch of capital tied up in someone like May. I’m not paying my membership fees so an already concussed player can be put into more danger just because boys will be boys occasionally. 

As far as punishment goes they were both handed your suggestion of community service. If the club decided to give May a 1 game ban for breaching concussion protocol then that's their prerogative. 

If concussion can lead to irrational behaviour, then fair enough I can accept that as a possibility but why go fuel the fire more with alcohol? May is a leader of the club and we all praise him for his on field leadership and how much he demands from his teammates. You can easily lose respect from situations like this, would you want to be told what to do and how to act like a winner by someone who couldn’t do that himself the week before? 

The only way to nip this in the bud was to come down hard. As for violence being something that just happens, yes it does but it should happen a lot less. I don’t know how many one punch life destroyers we need for this to eventually sink in. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DemonWA said:

Yeah I've seen that.
What a load of sheet.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, DemonWA said:

Yep, back in the brain that you were gifted with :- clearly made up fake rumour. 

18 minutes ago, DemonWA said:

One of those fake messages pops up with nearly every footy controversy, don't get sucked in mate.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Goody presser about to start, should be interesting given the week it's been.

Hope he copes ok tbh, he hates pressers at the best of times.

He nailed it. As good as Max. 

gave the journo’s a clip too “any questions on the game, it’s a big game this week?” 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Just now, 1964_2 said:

gave the journo’s a clip too “any questions on the game, it’s a big game this week?” 

Yep, I used to think 'Gee Goody is so boring in pressers', but these days it's more 'Thank god Goody is so boring in pressers'...

Although, his whack in regards to 'joining the dots' was a little peek into his internal thoughts IMO.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 1964_2 said:

good to hear!

would you mind posting a link to it?  I tried the MFC website but no luck

Having the AFL integrity unit investigating this incident is akin to having the Irish government set up a squad of Leprechauns to help people find pots of gold.

The AFL has no business using the word 'integrity ' under any circumstances 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Still slightly concerned there have been a few well publicized fights after games between fans and the AFL may come down  hard on these 2 as an example to make it look like they're strong on violence. 

36 minutes ago, Vipercrunch said:

I'm more surprised that all of these sort of incidents (and even rumours of events) aren't thoroughly investigated by the AFL as good governance.  Surely as soon as an whisper of off field event comes to light, shouldn't the AFL be on the phone to clubs to find out whats gone on?  This announcement of an investigtion seems to be nothing than pandering to the media.

Don't investigate something if you don't know what the answer is going to be. Investigating the De Goey incident had the potential to open a massive can of worms.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Anyone calling for Steve May's head needs to give them selves an upper cut.  May's never say die attitude is the sort of spirit that saw us turn around a 20 point third quarter deficit into an 80 point premership for the MFC.  You can't worship that and then turn on the guy when he tips ever so slightly over the other side of the line.  Just can't please some people, the Weid is soft and doesn't put in, but now May's too much of an animal?

To all the people that claim he shouldn't have been drinking - the impression I get is that today's footballers drink 10 times less and have 100 times more disiplined lifestyle than the average man on the street, so unless you're perfect, then let the bloke be a human.

The AFL wading into this is total BS.  Buddy gets one week for intentionally impacting a guy in the head with a fist while sober on a footy feild with perfect video evidence and they want to go further than the one week self imposed punishment given by the MFC - go [censored] yourselves AFL.

I've seen a number of the statements made by Max and Maysy post the event - like what more do you want these guys to do?  Start flagellating themselves until the blood runs freely FFS.

Ditto from me. FFS … AFL are trying to screw us over. 

• Like 1

Can't wait til May returns against the Lions in a couple of weeks, hopefully the crowd gets behind him as well. He is an essential part of our success, not just his ability but his mentality. Like it or not his ruthless attitude is exactly what this club has been missing for a long time and I can't wait til he is back out on the field I know he will be itching to get back out there.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

What evidence is there that drinking a week after a minor concussion is an issue? Common sense may argue that, but is there any hard evidence?   (Genuine question - not trying to make any comment on the rest of this issue.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sue said:

What evidence is there that drinking a week after a minor concussion is an issue? Common sense may argue that, but is there any hard evidence?   (Genuine question - not trying to make any comment on the rest of this issue.)

I’ve wondered the same … 

2 minutes ago, sue said:

Evidence or not, that's what the rules are and May knew them.

But for the sake of said evidence:

A standard concussion timeline looks something like this:

Injury day.

About 3-5 days later, your symptoms reach their peak (worst).

Within 7-10 days, your symptoms should be resolving.

Then, within 21-33 days, your brain metabolism should be back to normal.

Source: How long after a concussion can you drink alcohol?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DemonWA said:

#joffa&thefilth

32 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

One of those fake messages pops up with nearly every footy controversy, don't get sucked in mate.

Unfortunately I know some very intelligent people who received that same clearly fake message and fell hook line and sinker for it.

As you mentioned variations of this same message go around with every controversy. They seem to get more ridiculous every time. I imagine that many people believe them and no matter how far fetched they are eventually become fact to many people.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1