• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Welcome to Demonland Kynan Brown

dazzledavey36

From my understanding, Cal is wrong.

We can match a bid, but we have made a decision that we don't want to match a bid, because we would likely go into points deficit and would use a primary list spot if we matched, and we're seemingly not prepared to do that.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Dee Boys said:

Think about what you’re saying. The club clearly only rate him as rookie worthy, otherwise they’d have made it work.

I love the romance of father/sons and have a connection to the Brown family through my local footy club. I’d love nothing more than for him to make it.

But the reality, as I’ve tried to hint at a few times from watching him play personally a number of times, is that he’s unlikely to have enough AFL level attributes to make it at that level. There’s a reason not a single expert has him in their top 50 rated prospects.

Would love nothing more than to be proved wrong but some people need to temper their expectations.

Exactly. Let's hope he proves us wrong. His contribution in his appearances for Casey this year were very modest but he apparently did well for Vic metro.

He will now have his opportunity which is justified.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, deanox said:

We can match a bid, but we have made a decision that we don't want to match a bid, because we would likely go into points deficit and would use a primary list spot if we matched, and we're seemingly not prepared to do that.

Has nothing to do with points deficit. We have pick 42 to use which would cover the points for any bid outside the top 25.

This is from Cal a couple of weeks ago. Pretty much we’ve decided he’s a rookie and not worth a main list spot.

Clubs can nominate in that period whether they plan to take a father-son in the national draft – meaning if the player doesn't receive a bid they will automatically be added to a list with the club's final pick in the draft – or if they want to list them as a father-son rookie.

A father-son rookie leaves the door open for other clubs to pick them as a national selection but allows the holding club to automatically list the player as a rookie if they get through the national draft without being chosen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Dee Boys said:

Think about what you’re saying. The club clearly only rate him as rookie worthy, otherwise they’d have made it work.

I love the romance of father/sons and have a connection to the Brown family through my local footy club. I’d love nothing more than for him to make it.

But the reality, as I’ve tried to hint at a few times from watching him play personally a number of times, is that he’s unlikely to have enough AFL level attributes to make it at that level. There’s a reason not a single expert has him in their top 50 rated prospects.

Would love nothing more than to be proved wrong but some people need to temper their expectations.

Appreciate the honest thoughts based on your own observations mate.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, deanox said:

I’d think we can’t in Cal’s scenario because we’ve already committed that list spot to Turner, and if he’s not elevated we lose him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dee Boys said:

I bow to your more intimate knowledge of him as a player, and you may be right in that rookie level is the right assessment of him. I have only seen 4 full games of him on TV eg. National Champs and Casey (where he impressed me more than Duursma did). 

I like his attitude to the game and seems to have a pretty good footy IQ. He also had a blinder later in the year for his local team, 25+ possessions and 5.2. I certainly rate him higher than I did Taj in his year. 

Anyway,  if we get to rookie him then everyone will be happy. Fingers crossed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Has nothing to do with points deficit. We have pick 42 to use which would cover the points for any bid outside the top 25.

This is from Cal a couple of weeks ago. Pretty much we’ve decided he’s a rookie and not worth a main list spot.

Clubs can nominate in that period whether they plan to take a father-son in the national draft – meaning if the player doesn't receive a bid they will automatically be added to a list with the club's final pick in the draft – or if they want to list them as a father-son rookie.

A father-son rookie leaves the door open for other clubs to pick them as a national selection but allows the holding club to automatically list the player as a rookie if they get through the national draft without being chosen.

So as I said we can match if we choose.

We just don't want to match for Brown, because the price (if picks, points, deficit points, salary cap implications of primary list vs rookie, etc.) is higher than we think he is worth.

Edit: Unless there is a specific subset of the f/s rule where you nominate a player as a rookie only, foregoing the option for a main list draft selection.

But if that is only a box tick exercise, and isn't a committment to take him (which should be the case because you can always choose to not match a bid) why would that even be an option?

Edited by deanox
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, deanox said:

So as I said we can match if we choose.

We just don't want to match for Brown, because the price (if picks, points, deficit points, salary cap implications of primary list vs rookie, etc.) is higher than we think he is worth.

Edit: Unless there is a specific subset of the f/s rule where you nominate a player as a rookie only, foregoing the option for a main list draft selection.

But if that is only a box tick exercise, and isn't a committment to take him (which should be the case because you can always choose to not match a bid) why would that even be an option?

Read what Cal has written.

If you nominate them as a national draft father son they automatically get drafted to your main list as your last pick if they aren’t bid on.

Nominate them as a rookie father son and you can’t match a national draft bid but they automatically go on your rookie list. That’s the choice that we’ve made. So whether it’s coulda/woulda/shoulda that’s now what’s done.

It’s a silly system, you should be able to match late bids in the national draft without automatically committing them to your main list. But as it currently stands you can’t. If you don’t commit to the main list you don’t get the chance to match bids. 

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Clap 1

4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Read what Cal has written.

If you nominate them as a national draft father son they automatically get drafted to your main list as your last pick if they aren’t bid on.

Nominate them as a rookie father son and you can’t match a national draft bid but they automatically go on your rookie list. That’s the choice that we’ve made. So whether it’s coulda/woulda/shoulda that’s now what’s done.

It’s a silly system, you should be able to match late bids in the national draft without automatically committing them to your main list. But as it currently stands you can’t. If you don’t commit to the main list you don’t get the chance to match bids. 

Thanks, I missed that wording.

Very silly system when you have to commit without knowing what else would be available.

• Like 2

Im with @deanox - where are these BS rules written? 

‘the rookie stream’?? Never heard of it before and I have read the previous two EBAs front to back so I would read these governance docs. Love ToR and standards and process maps…

BECAUSE GOVERNANCE IS IMPORTANT

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mickey said:

Might have a bit to do with how many list spots we have. If we pick at 6 and 11 and have committed to upgrading Turner, we may not have the spots to match

Or we think there will be better options with our mid 40s pick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Palace Dees said:

I have only seen 4 full games of him on TV eg. National Champs and Casey (where he impressed me more than Duursma did). 

I like his attitude to the game and seems to have a pretty good footy IQ. 

That was my strong impression too PD. Duursma may have a better pedigree, but Kynan at Casey was snapping around the packs like a terrier. He appears (albeit on a brief showing) to have inherited Dad’s dogged determination.

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tarax Club said:

That was my impression too PD. Duursma may have a better pedigree,  but Kynan at Casey was snapping around the packs like a terrier. He appears (albeit on a brief showing) to have inherited Dad’s dogged determination.

As a fellow 'Fosterican' I have a great deal of respect for Dean Duursma. However,  if we are talking football  pedigree,  Kynan's dad has him covered.  😉

I dare say the tables will turn next generation 😁

Edited by Palace Dees
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Palace Dees said:

As a fellow 'Fosterican' I have a great deal of respect for Dean Duursma. However,  if we are talking football  pedigree,  Kynan's dad has him covered.  😉

I dare say the tables will turn next generation 😁

PD my  purpose when using of the word ‘pedigree’ was being rather loose with the language, more akin to the hyperbole of draft ratings than genetics. But in keeping with my canine theme more scatological than etymological. My knowledge of Carlton United products is rather dated. But Foster must have a special exemption, as l was under the erroneous impression that Fosters lager was only available offshore, especially in cans.

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Haha 4

Whlle folks might be disappointed that Kynan may not be with us the club is actually helping him by saying we can't (for whatever reason) commit to adding him to our senior list.

Generally players would prefer a senior spot over a rookie spot (due to tenure, opportunity, income) and the mfc is giving him this chance by allowing anouther club to draft him.. 

The fall back is he will join as a rookie.

• Like 7

Going by comparisons Shifter seems to rate him pretty highly:

Kevin Sheehan's top 40 prospects in the 2023 AFL Draft

Kynan Brown

State: Victoria Metro
State League Club: Oakleigh Chargers
Community Club: Blackburn
Date of Birth: 13/01/05
Height: 181cm

Left-footed inside midfielder who has quick hands, sharp vision and creates play through the middle of the ground with his creativity. Had a remarkably consistent year which included starring for Victoria Metro in the National Championships averaging 22.8 disposals at 80 percent efficiency as well as 4.5 clearances and 4.8 tackles to win their best and fairest award. Had similar numbers with the Oakleigh Chargers in the Coates Talent League including kicking five goals and having 25 disposals in a best on ground performance in the Wildcard Round win against the Northern Knights. Tested very well at the state Draft Combine in Victoria with his 6:12 on the 2km time trial and 3.04 seconds for the 20m sprint rounding off a productive season. Is eligible to be selected under the father-son rule as the son of former Melbourne utility Nathan D Brown, who played 146 games for the Demons.
Weapon: Footy IQ and ball-winning ability
AFL player comparison: Errol Gulden (Sydney Swans)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jibroni said:

Going by comparisons Shifter seems to rate him pretty highly:

Kevin Sheehan's top 40 prospects in the 2023 AFL Draft

Kynan Brown

State: Victoria Metro
State League Club: Oakleigh Chargers
Community Club: Blackburn
Date of Birth: 13/01/05
Height: 181cm

Left-footed inside midfielder who has quick hands, sharp vision and creates play through the middle of the ground with his creativity. Had a remarkably consistent year which included starring for Victoria Metro in the National Championships averaging 22.8 disposals at 80 percent efficiency as well as 4.5 clearances and 4.8 tackles to win their best and fairest award. Had similar numbers with the Oakleigh Chargers in the Coates Talent League including kicking five goals and having 25 disposals in a best on ground performance in the Wildcard Round win against the Northern Knights. Tested very well at the state Draft Combine in Victoria with his 6:12 on the 2km time trial and 3.04 seconds for the 20m sprint rounding off a productive season. Is eligible to be selected under the father-son rule as the son of former Melbourne utility Nathan D Brown, who played 146 games for the Demons.
Weapon: Footy IQ and ball-winning ability
AFL player comparison: Errol Gulden (Sydney Swans)

Is there anyone that shifter doesn't rate highly??

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Clap 3
  • Sad 1

On 17/11/2023 at 22:23, dazzledavey36 said:

Is there anyone that shifter doesn't rate highly??

It is quite funny.

Have to hope he doesn’t need to mention Kynan Brown, until the ND concludes tonight.

Then he can rate him highly as a Dees’ rookie.

• Like 1

Just now, Redleg said:

It is quite funny.

Have to hope he doesn’t need to mention Kynan Brown, until the ND concludes tonight.

Then he can rate him highly as a Dees’ rookie.

He compared Brown to Errol Gulden.. 🥴

I like shifter, but I think it's time for him to retire.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

He compared Brown to Errol Gulden.. 🥴

I like shifter, but I think it's time for him to retire.

Well tbh he can’t really knock any player and the other guys always find something good to say about each draftee too.

It is just a love fest.

The better appraisals would come privately from other club’s recruiters.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Well tbh he can’t really knock any player and the other guys always find something good to say about each draftee too.

It is just a love fest.

The better appraisals would come privately from other club’s recruiters.

Which is fine.

But he really does need to be realistic with his player comparisons. 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

Kynan Brown. 100% heart and effort. Run and run and run. Smart little player. Suited to a back pocket role.  Left foot ok over 25-30 metres. Reminds me of a young Libba in the way he plays his footy. Not sure he’s got AFL qualities but he’s a kid that will give it everything.  Hope he gets a rookie spot. All he probably really wants is a chance.  

• Like 3
  • Love 2