Jump to content

Welcome to Demonland Kynan Brown


dazzledavey36

Recommended Posts

From my understanding, Cal is wrong.

We can match a bid, but we have made a decision that we don't want to match a bid, because we would likely go into points deficit and would use a primary list spot if we matched, and we're seemingly not prepared to do that.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Dee Boys said:

Think about what you’re saying. The club clearly only rate him as rookie worthy, otherwise they’d have made it work.

I love the romance of father/sons and have a connection to the Brown family through my local footy club. I’d love nothing more than for him to make it.

But the reality, as I’ve tried to hint at a few times from watching him play personally a number of times, is that he’s unlikely to have enough AFL level attributes to make it at that level. There’s a reason not a single expert has him in their top 50 rated prospects.

Would love nothing more than to be proved wrong but some people need to temper their expectations.

Exactly. Let's hope he proves us wrong. His contribution in his appearances for Casey this year were very modest but he apparently did well for Vic metro.

He will now have his opportunity which is justified.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, deanox said:

From my understanding, Cal is wrong.

We can match a bid, but we have made a decision that we don't want to match a bid, because we would likely go into points deficit and would use a primary list spot if we matched, and we're seemingly not prepared to do that.

 

Has nothing to do with points deficit. We have pick 42 to use which would cover the points for any bid outside the top 25.

This is from Cal a couple of weeks ago. Pretty much we’ve decided he’s a rookie and not worth a main list spot.

Clubs can nominate in that period whether they plan to take a father-son in the national draft – meaning if the player doesn't receive a bid they will automatically be added to a list with the club's final pick in the draft – or if they want to list them as a father-son rookie.

A father-son rookie leaves the door open for other clubs to pick them as a national selection but allows the holding club to automatically list the player as a rookie if they get through the national draft without being chosen.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dee Boys said:

Think about what you’re saying. The club clearly only rate him as rookie worthy, otherwise they’d have made it work.

I love the romance of father/sons and have a connection to the Brown family through my local footy club. I’d love nothing more than for him to make it.

But the reality, as I’ve tried to hint at a few times from watching him play personally a number of times, is that he’s unlikely to have enough AFL level attributes to make it at that level. There’s a reason not a single expert has him in their top 50 rated prospects.

Would love nothing more than to be proved wrong but some people need to temper their expectations.

Appreciate the honest thoughts based on your own observations mate.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, deanox said:

From my understanding, Cal is wrong.

We can match a bid, but we have made a decision that we don't want to match a bid, because we would likely go into points deficit and would use a primary list spot if we matched, and we're seemingly not prepared to do that.

 

 


I’d think we can’t in Cal’s scenario because we’ve already committed that list spot to Turner, and if he’s not elevated we lose him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dee Boys said:

Think about what you’re saying. The club clearly only rate him as rookie worthy, otherwise they’d have made it work.

I love the romance of father/sons and have a connection to the Brown family through my local footy club. I’d love nothing more than for him to make it.

But the reality, as I’ve tried to hint at a few times from watching him play personally a number of times, is that he’s unlikely to have enough AFL level attributes to make it at that level. There’s a reason not a single expert has him in their top 50 rated prospects.

Would love nothing more than to be proved wrong but some people need to temper their expectations.

I bow to your more intimate knowledge of him as a player, and you may be right in that rookie level is the right assessment of him. I have only seen 4 full games of him on TV eg. National Champs and Casey (where he impressed me more than Duursma did). 

I like his attitude to the game and seems to have a pretty good footy IQ. He also had a blinder later in the year for his local team, 25+ possessions and 5.2. I certainly rate him higher than I did Taj in his year. 

Anyway,  if we get to rookie him then everyone will be happy. Fingers crossed.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Has nothing to do with points deficit. We have pick 42 to use which would cover the points for any bid outside the top 25.

This is from Cal a couple of weeks ago. Pretty much we’ve decided he’s a rookie and not worth a main list spot.

Clubs can nominate in that period whether they plan to take a father-son in the national draft – meaning if the player doesn't receive a bid they will automatically be added to a list with the club's final pick in the draft – or if they want to list them as a father-son rookie.

A father-son rookie leaves the door open for other clubs to pick them as a national selection but allows the holding club to automatically list the player as a rookie if they get through the national draft without being chosen.

 

So as I said we can match if we choose.

We just don't want to match for Brown, because the price (if picks, points, deficit points, salary cap implications of primary list vs rookie, etc.) is higher than we think he is worth.

 

Edit: Unless there is a specific subset of the f/s rule where you nominate a player as a rookie only, foregoing the option for a main list draft selection.

But if that is only a box tick exercise, and isn't a committment to take him (which should be the case because you can always choose to not match a bid) why would that even be an option?

Edited by deanox
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, deanox said:

So as I said we can match if we choose.

We just don't want to match for Brown, because the price (if picks, points, deficit points, salary cap implications of primary list vs rookie, etc.) is higher than we think he is worth.

 

Edit: Unless there is a specific subset of the f/s rule where you nominate a player as a rookie only, foregoing the option for a main list draft selection.

But if that is only a box tick exercise, and isn't a committment to take him (which should be the case because you can always choose to not match a bid) why would that even be an option?

Read what Cal has written.

If you nominate them as a national draft father son they automatically get drafted to your main list as your last pick if they aren’t bid on.

Nominate them as a rookie father son and you can’t match a national draft bid but they automatically go on your rookie list. That’s the choice that we’ve made. So whether it’s coulda/woulda/shoulda that’s now what’s done.

It’s a silly system, you should be able to match late bids in the national draft without automatically committing them to your main list. But as it currently stands you can’t. If you don’t commit to the main list you don’t get the chance to match bids. 

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Read what Cal has written.

If you nominate them as a national draft father son they automatically get drafted to your main list as your last pick if they aren’t bid on.

Nominate them as a rookie father son and you can’t match a national draft bid but they automatically go on your rookie list. That’s the choice that we’ve made. So whether it’s coulda/woulda/shoulda that’s now what’s done.

It’s a silly system, you should be able to match late bids in the national draft without automatically committing them to your main list. But as it currently stands you can’t. If you don’t commit to the main list you don’t get the chance to match bids. 

Thanks, I missed that wording.

Very silly system when you have to commit without knowing what else would be available.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Im with @deanox - where are these BS rules written? 

‘the rookie stream’?? Never heard of it before and I have read the previous two EBAs front to back so I would read these governance docs. Love ToR and standards and process maps…
 

 

BECAUSE GOVERNANCE IS IMPORTANT

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mickey said:

Might have a bit to do with how many list spots we have. If we pick at 6 and 11 and have committed to upgrading Turner, we may not have the spots to match

Or we think there will be better options with our mid 40s pick.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Palace Dees said:

 I have only seen 4 full games of him on TV eg. National Champs and Casey (where he impressed me more than Duursma did). 

I like his attitude to the game and seems to have a pretty good footy IQ. 

That was my strong impression too PD. Duursma may have a better pedigree, but Kynan at Casey was snapping around the packs like a terrier. He appears (albeit on a brief showing) to have inherited Dad’s dogged determination.

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Tarax Club said:

That was my impression too PD. Duursma may have a better pedigree,  but Kynan at Casey was snapping around the packs like a terrier. He appears (albeit on a brief showing) to have inherited Dad’s dogged determination.

As a fellow 'Fosterican' I have a great deal of respect for Dean Duursma. However,  if we are talking football  pedigree,  Kynan's dad has him covered.  😉

I dare say the tables will turn next generation 😁

Edited by Palace Dees
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Palace Dees said:

As a fellow 'Fosterican' I have a great deal of respect for Dean Duursma. However,  if we are talking football  pedigree,  Kynan's dad has him covered.  😉

I dare say the tables will turn next generation 😁

PD my  purpose when using of the word ‘pedigree’ was being rather loose with the language, more akin to the hyperbole of draft ratings than genetics. But in keeping with my canine theme more scatological than etymological. My knowledge of Carlton United products is rather dated. But Foster must have a special exemption, as l was under the erroneous impression that Fosters lager was only available offshore, especially in cans.

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whlle folks might be disappointed that Kynan may not be with us the club is actually helping him by saying we can't (for whatever reason) commit to adding him to our senior list.

Generally players would prefer a senior spot over a rookie spot (due to tenure, opportunity, income) and the mfc is giving him this chance by allowing anouther club to draft him.. 

The fall back is he will join as a rookie.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going by comparisons Shifter seems to rate him pretty highly:

Kevin Sheehan's top 40 prospects in the 2023 AFL Draft

Kynan Brown

State: Victoria Metro
State League Club: Oakleigh Chargers
Community Club: Blackburn
Date of Birth: 13/01/05
Height: 181cm

Left-footed inside midfielder who has quick hands, sharp vision and creates play through the middle of the ground with his creativity. Had a remarkably consistent year which included starring for Victoria Metro in the National Championships averaging 22.8 disposals at 80 percent efficiency as well as 4.5 clearances and 4.8 tackles to win their best and fairest award. Had similar numbers with the Oakleigh Chargers in the Coates Talent League including kicking five goals and having 25 disposals in a best on ground performance in the Wildcard Round win against the Northern Knights. Tested very well at the state Draft Combine in Victoria with his 6:12 on the 2km time trial and 3.04 seconds for the 20m sprint rounding off a productive season. Is eligible to be selected under the father-son rule as the son of former Melbourne utility Nathan D Brown, who played 146 games for the Demons.
Weapon: Footy IQ and ball-winning ability
AFL player comparison: Errol Gulden (Sydney Swans)

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jibroni said:

Going by comparisons Shifter seems to rate him pretty highly:

Kevin Sheehan's top 40 prospects in the 2023 AFL Draft

Kynan Brown

State: Victoria Metro
State League Club: Oakleigh Chargers
Community Club: Blackburn
Date of Birth: 13/01/05
Height: 181cm

Left-footed inside midfielder who has quick hands, sharp vision and creates play through the middle of the ground with his creativity. Had a remarkably consistent year which included starring for Victoria Metro in the National Championships averaging 22.8 disposals at 80 percent efficiency as well as 4.5 clearances and 4.8 tackles to win their best and fairest award. Had similar numbers with the Oakleigh Chargers in the Coates Talent League including kicking five goals and having 25 disposals in a best on ground performance in the Wildcard Round win against the Northern Knights. Tested very well at the state Draft Combine in Victoria with his 6:12 on the 2km time trial and 3.04 seconds for the 20m sprint rounding off a productive season. Is eligible to be selected under the father-son rule as the son of former Melbourne utility Nathan D Brown, who played 146 games for the Demons.
Weapon: Footy IQ and ball-winning ability
AFL player comparison: Errol Gulden (Sydney Swans)

 

 

Is there anyone that shifter doesn't rate highly??

  • Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Clap 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 17/11/2023 at 22:23, dazzledavey36 said:

Is there anyone that shifter doesn't rate highly??

It is quite funny.

Have to hope he doesn’t need to mention Kynan Brown, until the ND concludes tonight.

Then he can rate him highly as a Dees’ rookie.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Redleg said:

It is quite funny.

Have to hope he doesn’t need to mention Kynan Brown, until the ND concludes tonight.

Then he can rate him highly as a Dees’ rookie.

He compared Brown to Errol Gulden.. 🥴

I like shifter, but I think it's time for him to retire.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

He compared Brown to Errol Gulden.. 🥴

I like shifter, but I think it's time for him to retire.

Well tbh he can’t really knock any player and the other guys always find something good to say about each draftee too.

It is just a love fest.

The better appraisals would come privately from other club’s recruiters.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Well tbh he can’t really knock any player and the other guys always find something good to say about each draftee too.

It is just a love fest.

The better appraisals would come privately from other club’s recruiters.

Which is fine.

But he really does need to be realistic with his player comparisons. 

  • Like 1
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kynan Brown. 100% heart and effort. Run and run and run. Smart little player. Suited to a back pocket role.  Left foot ok over 25-30 metres. Reminds me of a young Libba in the way he plays his footy. Not sure he’s got AFL qualities but he’s a kid that will give it everything.  Hope he gets a rookie spot. All he probably really wants is a chance.  

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    Welcome to Demonland: Luker Kentfield

    With the Melbourne Football Club's first pick in the 2024 AFL Mid-Season Draft and pick number 11 overall the Demon's selected Western Australian key forward Luker Kentfield from Subiaco.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 85

    TRAINING: Tuesday 28th May 2024

    Veteran Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin returned to the training track to bring you the following observations from Gosch's Paddock this morning. Beautiful morning for training. The dew has dried, out from AAMI, quiet chatting. Maysie does his heart symbol. 7 in rehab, Turner, Hore, Sestan, BBB, Petty, Spargo and Schache. All in runners. Melky weighted and change of angles work. Salem has his individual program. White cap (no contact), Howes, Woewodin and Sparrow

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    GALLANT by KC from Casey

    The world “gallant” is not one that is readily acceptable to losing teams in our game of football so when it was used in the context of the Casey Demons’ loss to Sandringham in yesterday’s match at Casey Fields, it left a bitter taste in the mouth.  The Demons went into the game against the St Kilda affiliated Zebras with the advantage of playing on their home turf (not that this has been a major asset in 2024) and with very little else going in their favour. The Saints have close to a full

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    MEANWHILE by Whispering Jack

    … meanwhile, at about the same time that Narrm was putting its feet on the accelerator to obliterate the long-suffering Euro-Yroke combination, I heard someone mention in passing that Kuwarna was leading Waalitj Marawar by a whopping 46 to 1 halfway through the second quarter of their game over in Adelaide. “What is football coming to?” I asked myself.  In front of my eyes, the Demons were smashing it through the midfield, forcing turnovers and getting the footy to their forwards who w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PREGAME: Rd 12 vs Fremantle

    The Demons head back on the road for the fourth time this season as the travel to Alice Springs to take on the Fremantle Dockers at Treager Park on Sunday afternoon. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 152

    PODCAST: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 27th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons victory at the MCG over the Saints in the Round 11. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 29

    VOTES: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    Captain Max Gawn has a considerable lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the win against the Saints. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 54

    POSTGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    After a very wasteful first half of footy the Demons ended up cruising to a clinical victory over the Saints by 38 points at the MCG and ultimately reclaimed a coveted spot in the Top 4.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 397

    GAMEDAY: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    It's Game Day and after 2 losses on the trot the Dees must win against the Saints today at the MCG to keep in touch with the Top 4. A loss today will see them drop out of the Top 8 for the first time since 2020.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 503
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...