Big Ben Brown’s Wild Ride

Demonland

41 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Ben will really turn it on in the GF. He has practised his 'tricks' and 'readiness' in lead-up games, he has led forward and taken nearly all opponent defenders with him, he has started to increase the accuracy of set shots, plus a few snaps. This is the last game for the year and this game is super-important for him; good scores are vital and he has the toolbox to produce great little contributions across the game. 

• Like 7

He’s gone up a gear in the last few months, that’s for sure. He’s hanging on to his marks again now, and his work rate is awesome.

Funny how ridiculous perception of footy players are from the outside. For Brown, there was this perception that he got a favourable run from the umps. Having watched him a lot more closely since being one of our players, if he does draw frees it’s only because at his best he’s so hard to stop otherwise. He’s huge, he’s massively strong and he’s got a high leap. There aren’t going to be many defenders who could match him, so they resort to double teaming and arm chopping. 

We took a player who was injured and well below his best, for cheap, and gave him the time and resources to get back there. Great recruiting and great management that is now paying dividends.

• Like 17
  • Love 1

I remember wanting Ben Brown before he signed his last contract with North. Not only a great contested mark and accurate set shot, he’s also a smart player who more often than not disposes the ball to the advantage of his team mate. Just spent the last 20 minutes watching some of his highlights, he is a weapon in our arsenal that the Bulldogs will have to watch. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, FireInTheBennelly said:

I reckon there's a big bag on the way for BBB. Hoping it's next week, but next year hell turn it on. 2022 Coleman is his for the taking.

Not sure about that. Brown, Fritsch, TMac and Kozzie will share the bags around. The price of playing in a multi dimensional forward line.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rpfc said:

Not sure about that. Brown, Fritsch, TMac and Kozzie will share the bags around. The price of playing in a multi dimensional forward line.

For sure. There'll be plenty to throw around though, and with another year in our system and natural improvement, he's the one you want to be on.

I’ve been really pleasantly surprised at his field kicking. Especially inside 50, really seems to place the ball exactly where he would want it. Any decent forward should know where, but to execute is another thing. But even his searching leads into our half back line that often result in pressure dropping marks end up with a long, calculated pass to advantage. It’s a big weapon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demongirl35 said:

I had the pleasure of working with Benny in his Werribee days. I remember thinking how hasn’t this guy been drafted. Now look at him. So happy for him 

Just seems like a super nice bloke.

I swear his arms extend out an extra half a metre in marking contests.

I like the way our match committee usually gives blokes coming into the team a couple of weeks to find their groove. 

It's paid off in spades with Ben

• Like 1

What I like about Brown's presence on our list is the work which has obviously been done by our medical/fitness staff. Not only did we recruit him knowing he had a knee problem, we trusted our medical/fitness teams and Brown himself to get him back into proper shape.

It hasn't always worked (Bennell, for example) but when it does, it's a great credit to all involved. 

PS: Can include Max Gawn in this group. Fine effort by him and our medical/fitness team to get him to where he is today (and has been for the last 6 years) after two knee reconstructions.    

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic interview after the game. Ben really looked like a reborn man. He obviously was excited by the AFL journey with the Roos but injury and self doubt had set in. 

His move to the Dees has given him such joy and is obviously amazed with how his life has changed.  I think the Dees were the only team giving him the lifeline and new start needed.  He’s fitted in perfectly now and I hope his mind and body continues to keep in a happy place. 

His goals were a key in the grand final.  The mark and goal to get us even and then early goal in the last quarter really killed off the dogs lifeline.  

BBB - you bloody beauty!! Go Dees 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Watching him play  reminded me of how infuriating he was to play against when at Norf.  A trotting, tripping? gait, an incredibly long run up and if you look at him the wrong way the ump gives him a free kick.

Glad we got him fit to play. Well done BBB

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My son-in-law and family are North Melbourne tragics and when we recruited Ben Brown he said to me 'he is glad because Ben is useless and they need someone better'.

I spoke to him after the Grand Final and he changed is mind about Ben, supporters either see players thru rose colour glass or are critical when they don't live upto expectations in a year due to injury or loss of form.

Some supporters and coaches did the same with Tom McDonald, Charlie Spargo and Alex Neal-Bullen but they had the last laugh because they will be able to say they have a premiership medal.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jontee said:

Watching him play  reminded me of how infuriating he was to play against when at Norf.  A trotting, tripping? gait, an incredibly long run up and if you look at him the wrong way the ump gives him a free kick.

Glad we got him fit to play. Well done BBB

You forgot a great mark and straight as an arrow kick.
He did exactly what we got him for.
And in some big moments.

33 minutes ago, Wrecker46 said:

I've said it in another post and I will repeat it. Ben Brown didn't get removed from North Melbourne his partner did.

She was a culture killer. Loved by some, hated by many.

I have this very reliably from a board member at North, not a list manager.

That may be. But if you want to engage in strange speculation about partners you better allude to the struggles that they went through. Or just avoid the topic altogether because it is so fraught?? 

Even if you do know a vested interest with an agenda…

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1