• Podcast:      

• Podcast:      

GAMEDAY: Rd 18 vs Hawthorn

Another stable team at the selection table. Has to be lots of cohesion developing.

Want us to be ruthless, kick scores with plenty of accuracy and play the 4 quarters.

Pressure to be applied, and we need to stick the tackles.

Oliver and Tracc to play with endeavour from the start and not just after half-time.

It is a bad habit to be picking and choosing when to go.

Viney must be game fit now. Expecting him to perform, get the ball in and under, then deliver with effective and efficient passes and handballs. Hoping his main impact will be with goal assist.

ANB and Sparg's to lift, and the players to make lace outs to BBB.

Want to see fast ball movement, clean hands and smart play.

Win the clearances and the contested, so as to get our attacking system running smoothly. 

Go Dees.

• Like 10

I think rain helps our contested brand but it also makes goal kicking more difficult, which we don't need. Time to switch on guys and much needed % is up for grabs. Take it and be ruthless. Surge the ball forward. 

• Like 2

Rain is the enemy. We need a few more percentage points in the bank. We need to make the absolute most of our scoring shots today.

• Like 1

In Rd5, we beat them by 50 (4th quarter by 40), let's make that margin again. Geelong is 130.33% at moment, ours is 129.92%, 50 points margin would lift us to around 133%. Go Dees, you can do it!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hawks were atrocious last week. Absolutely pantsed by Freo. Have a real end of season look about them, coaching hand-over a big distraction, injuries, etc. Noise around that they have turned their minds to draft picks. They are there for the taking.

4 points most important thing but for once this year I’d like to see us put a team to the sword. Percentage could be a factor in the final reckoning and we have not converted our dominance in games into bigger scores. Would love us to register a 50+ point win today. Let’s swarm these bastards from the get-go and pummel them into the ground

Good luck Vanders. I love your heart and attack on the footy.  

Go Dees

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

They persecuted us for years on end. They beat us up, mocked us and kicked us in the teeth when we were down. Let’s show them how to win in style … 

Eye gouging,  groin stuff, toe stepping and the odd tickle....whatever it takes.

Go dees.

• Love 1

I usually go for margins no higher than 20 points. However, tonight will be different.

Injuries, disharmony and a potential wooden spoon (North are playing better than them) show me Hawthorn are coming apart at the seams. Kennett and his merry men have created a breakdown in human relations that will make Mick and Buckley’s hand over look like a bromance.

Demons by 60 points.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Obviously due to our ladder position and how we generally play week to week Demons have significantly improved, over 16 rounds our worst is losses of 1, 9, and 16? Against Crows and Giants kicking straight we win both.

What we haven’t seen is an absolute flogging of an opposition team, and while as a long long suffering Demons fan of over 50 years, any win is a good win, it would be terrific to see the Demons put the foot down today and kick straight to deliver a massive victory over the Hawks.

If we kicked straight against point, we would have won by over 50 points, so hoping for straight kicking tonight in the pissing rain, which is logical as we can’t kick straight in the dry!

Edited by D4Life
Added a point re kicking for goal
  • Like 1

I expect us to play ‘our brand’ for 100 minutes, and walk off the ‘G’ with our biggest winning margin of the year.  The ‘new’ season starts in just a few short weeks.  Time to start asserting ourselves!

• Like 2

Would be really nice to smash them. I still remember Dermie saying when the Hawks were down against us at the huddle they’d say “relax boys, it’s Melbourne” ie they will fold. 

let’s decide the game by Q time and demolish them!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

31 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Please Vanders no undisciplined frees and no unnecessary 50’s - and watch where your kicking 

Please Vanders, smash the bastards at every opportunity.

I will forgive a few errant kicks.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I have a soft spot for Frosty. I sure don;t miss the heart palpatations he gave me but he always had a dip. Sublime and ridiculous in equal measure

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

I have a soft spot for Frosty. I sure don;t miss the heart palpatations he gave me but he always had a dip. Sublime and ridiculous in equal measure

I have too but i hoope he he has a  shocker tonight

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

AVB is the right man at the right time to step things up a notch for us with his hard as nails defensive intent and attacking attitude.

Tear the Hawks a new one Vanders. 

Ken Oath!

• Demonland changed the title to GAMEDAY: Rd 18 vs Hawthorn
1 hour ago, chook fowler said:

Please Vanders no undisciplined frees and no unnecessary 50’s - and watch where your kicking 

Personally, I think bringing in Vanders is a mistake. I have watched a bit of Casey games and would have thought a fair few were in front of him. I love his tackling and toughness, but he is a momentum killer. His mistakes are often brutally simple but result in opposition goals. Hope I am wrong today. 

• Like 3

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

THE POINTY END by The Oracle

The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

• Tell a friend

Love Demonland? Tell a friend!