Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

COVID & AFL 2021

Demonland

I guess Liam Jones truly believes that he will be vindicated for his defiant stance(I told you so)one day. To forgo a $500,000 salary in the twilight of his career in these uncertain times demonstrates how pervasive and damaging misinformation can be in steering people astray. Not much different to harmful wacky cult and religious beliefs which defy common sense and immune to reason.

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 2

Occam's Razor says rash decision but I wonder.  If it's only about the vaccine then you have to wonder if his head is in the right place

Edited by Macca

16 minutes ago, Nascent said:

There were rumblings of an Eagles player that was holding out on getting the vaccine. Hopefully no demons are in this position.

Darling rumoured to be the player

There are still Saints players who haven't had dose 1 apparently

Who remembers the scene in Trainspotting where Begbie lectures Renton about using heroin? 

‘No wey would I poison my body with that [censored].  All they [censored] chemicals’ (while smashing a scotch & sucking on a dury). 

That’s what these anti-vax types sound like when they say they don’t trust what’s in the vaccine. 

I suspect there is more nuance to LJs decision than him simply being an anti vaxxer, if that is, in fact the case.

Have we heard directly from him yet? 

Does he have a medical condition that may have influenced his decision? I don't know, but until the full story is heard perhaps we should hold back with the pile on.

I hope he gets the information and help he needs to enable him to get vaccinated.

Edit. Just read some quotes attributed to him about his retirement. Wants to keep his reasons private

Edited by Stiff Arm
  • Like 1

Liam Jones is a fool. And a selfish one at that. If you don’t want to protect yourself at least do it for your family and the community. 

if there were mitigating factors I am sure he would have mentioned them. 

I swear people refusing to get vaccinated just makes no sense to me. 
Throwing away your life because you think your Google skills are superior to the skills of scientists and doctors world wide.
Mind boggling stupidity.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, deegirl said:

Who remembers the scene in Trainspotting where Begbie lectures Renton about using heroin? 

‘No wey would I poison my body with that [censored].  All they [censored] chemicals’ (while smashing a scotch & sucking on a dury). 

That’s what these anti-vax types sound like when they say they don’t trust what’s in the vaccine. 

Don't trust the vaccine because they don't know what's in it. Yeah - like they know what's in a can of coke or a carton of KFC.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, dees189227 said:

So Liam Jones has decided to retire because he won't get the covid vax. 

So I'm guessing he has never had  a pain killing injection for an injury and he has a back up plan. 

Most jobs these days require the jab and I guess travel is off for him to. 

Can't believe he is throwing his career away. But it's his choice I guess. 

This post assumes Liam Jones doesn't like injections of any type and therefore won't be vaccinated. That is almost certainly not the reason for his refusal. I don't know his reasons for not wanting to be vaccinated, but I think he's making a big mistake. Not because his football career has come to a premature end, but because the vaccine is the best protection for his health and for those around him. 

Current data suggests that nationwide about 95% of the population (16+) will end up vaccinated. Hopefully more. But 5% of approx 720 AFL male footballers is 36. Given those number we shouldn't be surprised that there's at least one footballer not wishing to be vaccinated. I just hope he's the only one (and that he subsequently gets vaccinated, even if it is too late to resurrect his career).

• Like 3

I'm not sure whether this question might be better posted on the Trading and Drafting thread, but as it relates to the impact of Liam Jones's retirement it's also logical to ask it here. What impact might Liam Jones's sudden and unanticipated retirement have on the draft? Will clubs have to reconsider their strategies if they believe Carlton may now be looking for a key defender early in the draft? Might a better player who is not a key defender be overlooked by Carlton and become available for others?

16 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

I swear people refusing to get vaccinated just makes no sense to me. 
Throwing away your life because you think your Google skills are superior to the skills of scientists and doctors world wide.
Mind boggling stupidity.

I think its the mandation Jaded does not helped the situation. If you met my in-laws you would think this is start of the next start of the next Apocalypse.

Having said that I still dont quite understand why young people (Under 18) need to be vaccinated, particularly if the elderly/vulnerable have already done so.

2 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

I think its the mandation Jaded does not helped the situation. If you met my in-laws you would think this is start of the next start of the next Apocalypse.

Having said that I still dont quite understand why young people (Under 18) need to be vaccinated, particularly if the elderly/vulnerable have already done so.

IT's because - for example - the largest percentage of cases at the moment are aged 25 years or younger...The kids get it at school, they go home and spread it...It's why Israel had a problem in that while it had  a high percentage of vaccinated people, all over 16, the overall figure was something like 57% and hence the rise in case. In other words, immunologists now recognize that you vacc as much of the population as you can.

In the meantime, I saw an 'Invitation' on a poster on a shopping center wall in Blackburn last week which told people to attend last Saturday's Demo because Dictator Dan's new bill was gonna make it possible for him to jail people because of their 'race and beliefs'. See...

And it's not only the Bogan Intelligentsia which is  shouting this clap-trap from the roof tops, I read an article by Jeremy Salt - an internationally renowned academic and author, specializing in the Middle East, in which he wrote that Dictator Dan was building not a Quarantine facility in Mickleham, but  a GULAG, and that Victoria was now the equivalent of Nazi Germany in 1934/35.

There you go...

1 hour ago, dieter said:

Reported that our number one Libertarian - the dude who thought the priveleged  boys who snuck over the WA to watch the Grand FInal were just cheeky chaps - has supported Liam Jones. Methinks Christian maybe not too priveleged in certain mental capacities. Oh, yes, he is a very handy footballer though...

Petracca said he respected Jones' decision to retire and respects how he has gone about it.  That is not the same as Petracca supporting his stance on the vaccine, whatever that might be.

Extrapolating your interpretation of what Petracca said to his 'mental capabilities' is a long bow to draw and makes no sense.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this matter.

Then let me blunt and give my opinion. I see nothing wrong with the vaccine mandate. It's not like we don't have other mandates under which we live, even in this democracy. Are any of these other mandates matters we should now abolish:

• driving on the left side of the road?
  • stopping at red traffic lights?
  • using passports to leave and enter the country?
  • fluoridation of the water supply?
  • making murder an offence?
  • paying tax?
  • free speech (albeit qualified)?
  • voting rights?
  • not discriminating against people on the basis of their gender, sexuality, religion, disability (amongst other things)?
Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia
typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

32 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

I think when it comes to vaccinating younger people, the concern/intention is more about reducing transmission to vulnerable people rather to preventing severe illness. That being said, obviously most vulnerable people have been vaccinated but there are many immunocompromised people out there who are still at risk, and most cases are occurring in younger people due to interaction at schools.

Edited by Foopy on the telly

4 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Then let me blunt and give my opinion. I see nothing wrong with the vaccine mandate. It's not like we don't have other mandates under which we live, even in this democracy. Are any of these other mandates matters we should now abolish:

• driving on the left side of the road?
  • stopping at red traffic lights?
  • using passports to leave and enter the country?
  • fluoridation of the water supply?
  • making murder an offence?
  • paying tax?
  • free speech (albeit qualified)?
  • voting rights?
  • not discriminating against people on the basis of their gender, sexuality, religion, disability (amongst other things)?

Yes there are a few, for starters there are people I would like to get rid of, I dont' drink fluorinated water, haven't paid tax for a long time, voting should not be compulsory but other than that if Jones doesn't want to get vaccinated that is his decision and if Petracca wants to support him in the way Jones has handled it that is his decision as well. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

17 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

Yes there are a few, for starters there are people I would like to get rid of, I dont' drink fluorinated water, haven't paid tax for a long time, voting should not be compulsory but other than that if Jones doesn't want to get vaccinated that is his decision and if Petracca wants to support him in the way Jones has handled it that is his decision as well. 

I agree that Jones doesn't have to be vaccinated, but by breaching the mandate he has to wear the consequences of that decision. I admire him for standing by his principles, but believe he's made a poor choice in doing so. Not because it ends his career but because he's put his health and the health of those around him at unnecessary risk. And that's why the mandate exists.

• Like 2