COVID & AFL 2021

Demonland

8 minutes ago, old dee said:

I know this has nothing to do with AFL but last night I got a good laugh after reading that local spectators will be allowed into the  Tokyo olympics.

They are not to cheer or stand / jump however clubbing is allowed. 
Monty Python in real life. 
I could not stop laughing for five minutes.

Clubbing? Do you mean clapping? 

The Japanese are essentially uber-polite and respectful. I expect they'll follow the instruction and not participate in clubbing/clapping. I suspect the best thing about these Olympics will be the absence of boorish international fans, particularly those in green and gold.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, daisycutter said:

od, according to a leading epidemioligist on the radio today

IF 70 YEARS AND OVER 

if you get covid and are unvaccinated you have 1 chance in 100 of dying from covid

if you get vaccinated with az you have 1 chance in a 1,000,000 of dying from az

you made the right choice

The problem with this is that there is limited transmission at present, which doesn't provide a compelling reason for people to hasten their vaccination timeline. The prof on RN Breakfast y'day morning also spoke to the different profiles of people. She mentioned that hesitancy was really broken into "wait and see", "undecided", which makes sense given the low level of circulating virus.

Another way to look at this is: so long as we have low numbers, then international travel and unrestricted (read: low risk, low friction) domestic travel is out the window. For some that's unimportant, so there's no need to hurry.

If you're a university chancellor or any number of industry/vested interests (excluding tourism) who relies on a steady supply of international students, temporary migrant workers (capital C Capital to contain wages), etc, then follow the money. There is a clear interest in vaccinating the populace to reopen the borders.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

The Japanese are essentially uber-polite and respectful. I expect they'll follow the instruction and not participate in clubbing/clapping. I suspect the best thing about these Olympics will be the absence of boorish international fans, particularly those in green and gold.

There are times when predictive script makes me want to scream. Should be clapping. I have a friend whose name is Ken and it constantly changes it to Jen and it is not me hitting the wrong key as I now watch it do it.
Yes the world would be a better place without boorish fans of which Australia is near the top of the list.

32 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

The problem with this is that there is limited transmission at present, which doesn't provide a compelling reason for people to hasten their vaccination timeline. The prof on RN Breakfast y'day morning also spoke to the different profiles of people. She mentioned that hesitancy was really broken into "wait and see", "undecided", which makes sense given the low level of circulating virus.

Another way to look at this is: so long as we have low numbers, then international travel and unrestricted (read: low risk, low friction) domestic travel is out the window. For some that's unimportant, so there's no need to hurry.

If you're a university chancellor or any number of industry/vested interests (excluding tourism) who relies on a steady supply of international students, temporary migrant workers (capital C Capital to contain wages), etc, then follow the money. There is a clear interest in vaccinating the populace to reopen the borders.

That covers a lot of it Super. I have said before I have friends ( a couple ) who fall into the your second paragraph. Don’t travel, have no intention of doing so and have the “ we won’t get it”  attitude. They will wait till they can get the Pfizer vaccine. In their view if that is next year so be it. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Those darn South Africans

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, old dee said:

I know this has nothing to do with AFL but last night I got a good laugh after reading that local spectators will be allowed into the  Tokyo olympics.

They are not to cheer or stand / jump however clubbing is allowed. 
Monty Python in real life. 
I could not stop laughing for five minutes.

Clubbing?????

what does that mean, in this context?

Oh FFS as if anything will change tomorrow. Just make a call. Such gutless leadership! 

I feel so sorry for people trying to get married. Fancy being at the mercy of an [censored] who thinks it's 'easy to push out a wedding', but allows 300 people to go to a religious ceremony! 

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

Weren’t they supposed to make the announcement today?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, old dee said:

There are times when predictive script makes me want to scream. Should be clapping. I have a friend whose name is Ken and it constantly changes it to Jen and it is not me hitting the wrong key as I now watch it do it.
Yes the world would be a better place without boorish fans of which Australia is near the top of the list.

I know what you mean OD so many times mine changes to "ducking" when that is not what I meant at all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Utterly ridiculous, not much is going to change in the next 24 hours - seriously these people are utter morons.

I suspect the delay is not related to the number of new cases but to finalising the details in the plans submitted by the AFL and MCC. It's even possible the delay is because the AFL and MCC are trying to convince the relevant officials that 50% capacity at the MCG is do-able and that some procedures to allow that to happen have yet to be agreed upon. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

It's even possible the delay is because the AFL and MCC are trying to convince the relevant officials that 50% capacity at the MCG is do-able and that some procedures to allow that to happen have yet to be agreed upon. 

Snap.

I was thinking something similar.

Though I was more thinking that  they were looking at something like 50% but want to wait a day to see what the numbers are tomorrow. If they announced 50% today and then tomorrow there was say 5 new unlinked cases they might have to walk it back. Which given how quick people are to jump on them, whatever decision they make, makes a lot sense.

Another day of zero, or 1 or 2 linked cases, as they will announce 50% tomorrow hopefully. And I can go to the G!

Edited by binman
  • Love 2

Seems AAMI Park has got the go ahead for 50% for the AL Grand final, but that is ~15,000 people. 

Either way, hoping to be back shortly. 

6 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Citation required.

Don't hold your breath.

On the other hand, plenty of studies give figures around 80% (e.g., WHO), though more and more studies are showing a substantial % of "mild" cases where symptoms persist long-term, often with fairly debilitating impacts on quality of life, work etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

Snap.

I was thinking something similar.

Though I was more thinking that  they were looking at something like 50% but want to wait a day to see what the numbers are tomorrow. If they announced 50% today and then tomorrow there was say 5 new unlinked cases they might have to walk it back. Which given how quick people are to jump on them, whatever decision they make, makes a lot sense.

Another day of zero, or 1 or 2 linked cases, as they will announce 50% tomorrow hopefully. And I can go to the G!

But then they could make a decision tomorrow and there's 5 cases on Thursday. As long as we get to the right result (ie being able to go to the G on Saturday night) I won't mind it's just the seeming arbitrariness that is frustrating. I'm not an ALP supporter by any stretch but I am definitely anti-LNP so it's not like I'm agitating for the other mob, it just seems to be getting a bit ridiculous.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's been said before, but I fail to see the point of crowd limit percentage at games when they just crowd everyone into one part of the ground and keep entire other sections of the ground closed.

If games are at limited to 50% capacity then open the entire ground so that the crowd is spread out. Given you have to pre-book a seat, couldn't you just leave one space between every booking party as a minimum - so that no-one is sitting next to a stranger? Perhaps when you book each seat it also removes from play the equivalent number of seats that are near you?