Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs Adelaide



Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Adelaide supporters on Big Footy seem adament the ball deflected off Spargo and hence not deliberate. I dunno, I can't bring myself to watch it again just yet.

A way to fix the grey area of deliberate (or not deliberate) is to pay a free kick against the team which touched the ball last before it crosses the boundary line (as it was from 1926 - 1939)

But if Spargo touched the ball then they would have received the free (under that rule)  And if Spargo did deflect the ball then I would like to see the vision before making any judgement. 

Besides all that, we lost the game in numerous other ways and if we had have won, those issues would still be being addressed today and ongoing - not sure everyone would have been in raptures

Last night highlighted that we are just not that good a team ... we're in the mix with a number of other teams but if we finish top 4 we'll gain an advantage pre finals.

Long way to go before that possible outcome though ... the next 2 weeks will be full on and if we play like we did last night against the Pies, we will probably lose the QB clash

Last night could be viewed as the loss that taught the team how to go about it for the rest of the season. 

But if we don't learn from it we're in trouble

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I can see next week getting very ugly against the dogs if we allow them to follow the same blueprint as Adelaide and North have now. 

We were a mess last night. Adelaide are rebuilding so of course we were always going to be in the game. We're a strong and mature side. 

But the dogs have grunt and class all over the ground and if we allow them to chip and handball around our zone as freely as Adelaide did, we are toast. 

Gawn needs a massive wakeup call. Four weeks now he hasn't asserted himself when needed and he's making some. Fairly crucial mistakes over the course of a game. Dropping marks, trying to mark when he should spoil, shocking taps and sub-par energy levels at the contest. He's our captain, he needs to lead more in key moments and step up the intensity and physicality. 

May's worst game by far, needs to respond. 

Fritsch a genuine liability if the ball isn't on a silver platter. He genuinely has no desire to chase, tackle or get involved off the ball. 

The dogs backline is no better than the crows and we were preety inefficient going inside 50 last night. 

We will get a big smacking if we don't take away the dogs strength and if we get smacked, we're pretending at this stage. 

We should know exactly what they'll do against us. We better be up for the fight. 

 

Edited by JimmyGadson
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I found myself nearly putting my fist through the wall over this..

 

Yeah, that was pretty bad. Good Lord.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fritsch is probably the most selfish player in our side. He is a very very good forward who is hard to match up on and has a great goal sense. He’s also very lazy, insipid tackler and an awful set shot. He goes from sensational one week to a liability the next. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I found myself nearly putting my fist through the wall over this..

 

Maybe they lost the selfless acts last nite, going for individual glory rather than choosing a better option 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The hysteria from some supporters is laughable.  I have read multiple times Gawn needs to be dropped, Adelaide are a bottom 4 side but when I look at the ladder they are 12th.  There must a secret ladder that I don’t know about it.  Fritsch has a quiet game and people want our best goal kicker dropped.  I even read Trac needs to pull his finger out - that was my tipping.  

I think if you made any of the above comments that it might be time for a few days off Demonland to go searching for some perspective.

Get a grip people!  

Edited by Demons11
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

I wondered in the last moments when Melksham went off with that ankle if we couldn't have subbed on sparrow and had fresh legs forward. 

Any reason why we couldn’t/didn’t?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

And started tinkering with our forward set up when Brown and Weid became available. I am starting to believe a forward set up with TMac, Jackson and Fritsch with more smalls and runners will end up the preferred. 

Agree with the tinkering, but not sure about the preferred. I still think TMac, Brown, Jackson and one of Fritsch/Melksham can work.

There's a lack of reliability in Fritsch and Jackson's value is higher in the midfield/ruck than forward. So if Fritsch has a bad game, that forward line is really just TMac and the smalls.

For whatever Brown's cons are, one of his pros is he is a constant threat. It's hard for the opposition to ignore him - he's a good mark and as an accurate kick he can't be left alone if he leads wide. 

I thought our mix in the Sydney game was OK (TMac, Brown, Jackson, Fritsch and the smalls, no Melksham, no Weid), and I'd like to see it again.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hardtack said:

The funny thing is, how many of us would have complained at the beginning of the season if we’d been told we’d be 9-3 by round 12? I suspect most would have scoffed at such a suggestion.
 

I hope there aren’t too many changes to the side, but I get the feeling that we might see Ben Brown back in against the Dogs.

Loser mentality.

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Fritsch is probably the most selfish player in our side. He is a very very good forward who is hard to match up on and has a great goal sense. He’s also very lazy, insipid tackler and an awful set shot. He goes from sensational one week to a liability the next. 

What about the other dozen or so players who decided to have a night off?

Right across the board we were awful

I don't disagree with you about Fritsch but he's not a physical player and is more of a pure (tallish) opportunist. 

The question is how many of those types do you have in the same team? 1? 2? ... at the moment we've got more than 2

Spargo, ANB, Weideman, Rivers, Jordon, Jetta, Hunt,  Petty,  Melksham,  Hibberd,  T-Mac,  Pickett & May were all well down on their best

Along with Fritsch that's nearly 2/3rds of the team that took the field

It's any wonder we lost

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

The hysteria from some supporters is laughable.  Fritsch has a quiet game and people want our best goal kicker dropped. 

 

Perhaps you should open your eyes.

 

2 of the last 3 games Fritsch has had zero  tackles and 9 or less possessions. He's lazy, insipid and provides zero fwd pressure. To top it off he played selfish footy last night and missed a great opportunity to give Petracca a goal instead trying to dribble the ball through.

His kicking for goal has been pathetic and ;ast night he didn't make the distance from about 40m out.

He can take a break as far as I am concerned.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Perhaps you should open your eyes.

 

2 of the last 3 games Fritsch has had zero  tackles and 9 or less possessions. He's lazy, insipid and provides zero fwd pressure. To top it off he played selfish footy last night and missed a great opportunity to give Petracca a goal instead trying to dribble the ball through.

His kicking for goal has been pathetic and ;ast night he didn't make the distance from about 40m out.

He can take a break as far as I am concerned.

 

 

Wow he missed 1 handball to Trac, never play him again.

The bloke is not there for his forward pressure, he is there to finish off the work which he has been doing in the majority of the games.  2 bad games out of 10 and you want him out? Spare me mate 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JimmyGadson said:

Fritsch a genuine liability if the ball isn't on a silver platter. He genuinely has no desire to chase, tackle or get involved off the ball. 

I think that’s a bit unfair. Watch his 6 goal haul against North and you’ll see a lot of those were from ground ball he’d chased or had positioned himself well to get the loose ball and then managed to work himself into a position where he could take the shot. Only two were from set shots and one of those from a difficult mark over the pack (hardly silver service).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Loser mentality.

Not really... based on the last couple of years, as much as we’d like to think we could win every game, it’s quite a reasonable assumption that most would have said 9-3 was crazy talk.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, hardtack said:

I think that’s a bit unfair. Watch his 6 goal haul against North and you’ll see a lot of those were from ground ball he’d chased or had positioned himself well to get the loose ball and then managed to work himself into a position where he could take the shot. Only two were from set shots and one of those from a difficult mark over the pack (hardly silver service).

It's silver service if you're receiving favourable handballs with little pressure around and/or favourable bounces. 

Fritsch is normally a deadeye [censored] and has great class around goal. Obviously his strengths are dangerous, but everything else is not only average, it's below the required level. So if he's not kicking goals or if the kicks coming in are scrappy like they were last night, what does he provide us? 

His refusal to give that handball to Trac and kick himself was also unforgivable. So selfish. So he's not only not doing the small things off the ball, he's burning team mates. 

Can't have that 

Edited by JimmyGadson
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Macca said:

What about the other dozen or so players who decided to have a night off?

Right across the board we were awful

I don't disagree with you about Fritsch but he's not a physical player and is more of a pure (tallish) opportunist. 

The question is how many of those types do you have in the same team? 1? 2? ... at the moment we've got more than 2

Spargo, ANB, Weideman, Rivers, Jordon, Jetta, Hunt,  Petty,  Melksham,  Hibberd,  T-Mac,  Pickett & May were all well down on their best

Along with Fritsch that's nearly 2/3rds of the team that took the field

It's any wonder we lost

I don’t think Fritsch is why we lost. Far from it. Too many players were down and played lazy selfish football. Trac tried to do too much. Harmes doesn’t play to his obvious limitations. Hunt was woeful. ANB and Spargo had zero influence. May had his worst game maybe ever. 
I think Fritsch has had a few very poor outings this year that have been skimmed over because he is a good player who can kick a bag. But we pick on Melksham who is poor defensively, and yet we don’t raise an eyebrow when Fritsch lays 0 tackles. I don’t care if that’s not his primary role. Every player should play with a defensive mindset when they are not in possession of the footy. It’s what makes us such a great team. Fritsch averages 2 tackles a game. Tmac is at 6. That’s all I’m saying. He has to play more defensive, especially when he isn’t having a great game on the scoreboard. Because he isn’t tall and because we have brought him a host of talls recently, he is now playing on a much more attacking defender and it’s been costly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jaded said:

I don’t think Fritsch is why we lost. Far from it. Too many players were down and played lazy selfish football. Trac tried to do too much. Harmes doesn’t play to his obvious limitations. Hunt was woeful. ANB and Spargo had zero influence. May had his worst game maybe ever. 
I think Fritsch has had a few very poor outings this year that have been skimmed over because he is a good player who can kick a bag. But we pick on Melksham who is poor defensively, and yet we don’t raise an eyebrow when Fritsch lays 0 tackles. I don’t care if that’s not his primary role. Every player should play with a defensive mindset when they are not in possession of the footy. It’s what makes us such a great team. Fritsch averages 2 tackles a game. Tmac is at 6. That’s all I’m saying. He has to play more defensive, especially when he isn’t having a great game on the scoreboard. Because he isn’t tall and because we have brought him a host of talls recently, he is now playing on a much more attacking defender and it’s been costly. 

When you say 'we' pick on Melksham it's more the loud minority here

Certainly not me ... I hate scapegoating with a passion (although I did critique ANB on another thread ..  without including others who make the same sorts of errors)

So it's not just about Fritsch when 2/3rds of the team have a night off

For instance replacing Fritsch leaves us with a stack of others who underperformed last night

To be fair, some of those who were down like T-Mac, May,  Hunt,  Rivers & Jordon have all played well this season (to date)

Spargo,  Hunt,  Weideman,  ANB,  Hibberd,  Pickett,  Jetta and 1 or 2 others need to find their best form (along with Fritsch)

We've been off the boil since the Richmond win,  that much is true

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There were a lot of players off song yesterday but if I was to try to distill into an over-arching theme I would say our attitude was wrong and has been for a few weeks now. We’ve covered over this reality because our defence has been excellent.

An attitude adjustment will cure a lot of our ills (although structure forward is still an issue)

Time to draw a line under this game and focus on the doggies. Time to sharpen up and bring the pressure and intensity that typified our wins v the Tiges and Cats. Clarry led the way yesterday. The other senior players, Trac, Max, May, Lever and TMac need to step up and follow his example.

No passengers next week. It has to be a 22 man manic effort else we’re not going to win.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, AmsterdamDeesFan said:

Spewing. Weideman can get traded, what a non-entity that bloke is.

Unfortunately, this most recent game may have actually reduced his trade value. A couple of weeks ago sections of the media were suggesting that 3 or 4 clubs might be interested in his services and estimated his value as a late first round trade. He needs to be in stellar form to be picked again I reckon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Macca said:

When you say 'we' pick on Melksham it's more the loud minority here

Certainly not me ... I hate scapegoating with a passion (although I did critique ANB on another thread ..  without including others who make the same sorts of errors)

So it's not just about Fritsch when 2/3rds of the team have a night off

For instance replacing Fritsch leaves us with a stack of others who underperformed last night

To be fair, some of those who were down like T-Mac, May,  Hunt,  Rivers & Jordon have all played well this season (to date)

Spargo,  Hunt,  Weideman,  ANB,  Hibberd,  Pickett,  Jetta and 1 or 2 others need to find their best form (along with Fritsch)

We've been off the boil since the Richmond win,  that much is true

Yep, we were definitely on song against the Tigers. The most decisive, cleanest ball movement I've seen by the club in many years. We also haven't come close to replicating it since that game, although I missed the Carlton game.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When Lever pushed the Adelaide guy square in the back unnecessarily I knew we were in for a long night. You just can't give easy goals up when you're playing away. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...