• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The ANB Appreciation Thread

5 hours ago, Demonland said:

Great bloke, genuine person.

If it wasn’t for one Christian Petracca you could see him as a skipper in the mould of Junior Mac.

We touched on this in ‘21 - but the work he does to help CP5 in particular to be damaging is his real asset and then when he gets lost in the shuffle and hurts the opposition - that’s just gravy. To be the best, you need players like ANB that are happy to execute a role and do it excellently. You can put up with the odd fumble and clanger ;) 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Great bloke, genuine person.

If it wasn’t for one Christian Petracca you could see him as a skipper in the mould of Junior Mac.

We touched on this in ‘21 - but the work he does to help CP5 in particular to be damaging is his real asset and then when he gets lost in the shuffle and hurts the opposition - that’s just gravy. To be the best, you need players like ANB that are happy to execute a role and do it excellently. You can put up with the odd fumble and clanger ;) 

ANB reminds of a Chief of Staff, supporting the General (Trac) during a campaign, enabling the decisive actions. I also think he is a great example for nurturing your talent. We nurtured Wied and some others, and sadly didn't pan out, we did the same with ANB, and it did, and we didn't just get a player, we got a culture, our game style require brutal effort, people like ANB have helped develop that (Viney and Max being the principles), I can't help but think the way Chandler, Kossie, Rivers, McVee etc play is based on seeing the efforts of the leaders like ANB. And by nurturing I think that makes more of a team than just throwing people to the wolves. Compared to the time when Green was Captain (that's too hard we're not doing that(at training)- is that true or urban myth???) I feel ANB was one of those that shook the bruise free tag.   

• Like 3

Fascinating how certain players are key to teams fortunes (structural integrity) and are overshadowed by the glamour of goals and high possession gatherers.

They used to be called ‘workman like’ or ‘agricultural’ and now ‘role players’,  yet even (to my mind) that is underselling them. ANB’s career has been encapsulated by what he does defensively which is ultimately unheralded unless you are a key back man. It’s not just the last 3 years, and I get that people see his last match as a version of a ‘break out’ - but he’s been consistently consistent for years with the attributes that he has.

I loved hearing that someone from the Hawthorn FD flagged that people should sit down and watch what ANB does with the down the ground footage.

They watch it knowing how subtly yet significantly influential he is.

For a thoroughly obscure reference - he is the Claude Makelele of Melbourne. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 31/03/2024 at 11:37, Chook said:

He used to go to ground a lot and fumble at inopportune moments. He’d be the first to say he has been working on his game and has dramatically improved in those areas, taking his game to the next level as a result. 

Yes, I have been critical of the fumbling, costly turnovers and inability to keep his feet at times in the past. This year ANB has largely removed that and his confidence has soared. Has always been good with pressure acts and tackling, now he's super clean and efficient. Keep it up and he's a big part of us going deep into Sept

Good on him and long may this form continue. 

Speaks very well, a clear leader, reckon he may go into coaching after another couple of flags as a player

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

Fascinating how certain players are key to teams fortunes (structural integrity) and are overshadowed by the glamour of goals and high possession gatherers.

They used to be called ‘workman like’ or ‘agricultural’ and now ‘role players’,  yet even (to my mind) that is underselling them. ANB’s career has been encapsulated by what he does defensively which is ultimately unheralded unless you are a key back man. It’s not just the last 3 years, and I get that people see his last match as a version of a ‘break out’ - but he’s been consistently consistent for years with the attributes that he has.

I loved hearing that someone from the Hawthorn FD flagged that people should sit down and watch what ANB does with the down the ground footage.

They watch it knowing how subtly yet significantly influential he is.

For a thoroughly obscure reference - he is the Claude Makelele of Melbourne. 

Great reference, even if I dislike every team he played for, anyway had to look this up and lo and behold: I think Claude has this kind of gift – he's been the best player in the team for years but people just don't notice him, don't notice what he does-Fernando Hierro. Not saying ANB is anything other than maybe the best runner, but the parallels with their defensive work is definitely there (although I think it was racism that saw CM leave Real Madrid)

Like a good wine.

Improves every year.

• Like 1

Fun fact time!

Nibbler has only polled Brownlow votes once before and it was some years ago. Even better, it was a remarkable 3 votes in a game where he and Angus Brayshaw had three goals apiece in a beautiful 15-goal margin splattering destruction in Alice Springs which many of us will recall fondly as the peak of the time we were pushing for the most consecutive quarters won, ever. At the time we had only three players on the field with as much experience as Nibbler has now.

The opponent? Adelaide!

Got another one in you, Nibbler?

• Clap 1

I'm just wondering if I'm right in saying that Nibbler used to be a poor kick at goal. He's certainly turned it around.

Can we move him into the midfield instead of Salo or would that curtail his greatness at the moment?

Salo has been ok but Nibbler is just so much stronger and I reckon has more endurance for the job.

In any case I'm so glad to see him playing so well.

There are a couple of others who have recaptured their form of old. Not least is Langers.

The Rock wall in Lever is another as are of course Tmac and Bbb.

• Like 1

The amount of territory the guy covers is amazing 

it means effectively we have more cattle on the park

In his first game against Geelong (memorable win) his second effort and goal announced what he had

massive tank always wins the 2k trial

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

I'm just wondering if I'm right in saying that Nibbler used to be a poor kick at goal. He's certainly turned it around.

Can we move him into the midfield instead of Salo or would that curtail his greatness at the moment?

Salo has been ok but Nibbler is just so much stronger and I reckon has more endurance for the job.

There are a couple of others who have recaptured their form of old. Not least is Langers.

Salo is one real tough cookie, his toughness is criminally underrated.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Flat wrong about Salem but also, ANB isn’t a midfielder. He finds space in the midfield and gets footy because of his role interchanging with Petracca and the fact that he isn’t respected by the other midfield group. He is very effective in the role he plays and allows our most damaging player to get footy forward of the ball.

No need to move away from it

• Thanks 1

NIBBLER = COMBO OF

Andy Lovell, Andrew Obst, Glenn Lovett,Steve Newport, Steven Stretch aaand Brett Bailey only I think the way he is going he will end up better than any of these special footsoldiers! How does FIELDMARSHAL NIBBLER sound??

Edited by picket fence

41 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Salo is one real tough cookie, his toughness is criminally underrated.

Salo has class and is underrated by the opposition. Even the great Clarry is perpetually underestimated by opposition supporters. 

We have many at the moment who are becoming really more resilient and reliable from week to week.