TMac on the Trade Table?

Lord Nev

Tmac has ongoing foot and ankle problems. He will have to manage them for the remainder of his career, and they've clearly effected his ability to perform. He's less agile than my grandmother at this point! I have no doubts over is work ethic though. He's always been a strong trainer and high endurance athlete. He's also had to deal with having his first baby and then moving into a hub this year etc.

His days as a KPF are done IMO. His form has been poor for two years, and with Brown coming in, Weid and Jackson both surpassed him this year too. I think he needs to move to the backline again. He'd have May and Lever as talls there with him now, unlike his time there in the past where he was the number 1 defender. He'd also be able to pass the ball off to Salem, Rivers, Hibberd etc as runners to rebound. It's worth a shot if he wants to save his career and if we want to get something for the giant contract we're stuck with if we can't move him on.

Edited by Lord Travis
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Watching his Instagram Feed he has been training already. 
So i will make my judgement early in the New Year

I would love to see him succeed 

Same here. Knowing (second hand) how hard he's tried to play through pain has given me a bigger appreciation for his work ethic. Deserves a bit of luck now.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Tmac has ongoing foot and ankle problems. He will have to manage them for the remainder of his career, and they've clearly effected his ability to perform. He's less agile than my grandmother at this point! I have no doubts over is work ethic though. He's always been a strong trainer and high endurance athlete. He's also had to deal with having his first baby and then moving into a hub this year etc.

His days as a KPF are done IMO. His form has been poor for two years, and with Brown coming in, Weid and Jackson both surpassed him this year too. I think he needs to move to the backline again. He'd have May and Lever as talls there with him now, unlike his time there in the past where he was the number 1 defender. He'd also be able to pass the ball off to Salem, Rivers, Hibberd etc as runners to rebound. It's worth a shot if he wants to save his career and if we want to get something for the giant contract we're stuck with if we can't move him on.

So he is done as a KPF were he creates the run and a defender follows, but move him back to man someone up and be reactive to their movement.  If his body is like you say, he will get absolutely carved up playing back and there will be a good chance May will punch him.  Don't forget he was moved forward because his form down back was extremely poor and he was going to be dropped.

Trade him or get him as good as he can get and let him fight for a KPF spot. 

On 11/1/2020 at 2:13 PM, rjay said:

I'm not sure there will be any takers for Tom.

No club seems to be putting their hand up at the moment and for good reason.

He's had 2 poor seasons and it looks like the game has passed him by...

It happens, players have purple patches then burn out for a multitude of reasons.

We just might have an expensive depth player on our hands unfortunately.

I've seen nothing so far that makes me think this post is wrong...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rjay said:

I've seen nothing so far that makes me think this post is wrong...

Unless his injuries are terminal I reckon there will be clubs prepared to take a punt. I think it’ll be a question of how much of his salary we’re prepared to pay to move him on. I reckon we’ll have to cough up half or so.  More than that and I think he’s probably worth keeping as depth.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

Unless his injuries are terminal I reckon there will be clubs prepared to take a punt. I think it’ll be a question of how much of his salary we’re prepared to pay to move him on. I reckon we’ll have to cough up half or so.  More than that and I think he’s probably worth keeping as depth.

I hope you are right, but I think he could be done...

3 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

If he can get fit again their is no reason he can't earn the Joel Smith role and return to the backline.

Except Joel Smith is out of the best 22.  He is cover for Lever as the mid-tall defender back pocket role. 

If Tmc stays, he may be ‘possible’ key defender cover for Steven May. But then he will be a very expensive Casey full back as a “break-glass in case of emergency” option. 

30 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Except Joel Smith is out of the best 22.  He is cover for Lever as the mid-tall defender back pocket role. 

If Tmc stays, he may be ‘possible’ key defender cover for Steven May. But then he will be a very expensive Casey full back as a “break-glass in case of emergency” option. 

I would have thought the Club has made it very clear to Tom that He is not required

It may be his choice to hang around money is the problem but I'm sure the club see it very clearly and dont think he can be rehabilitated

So if Casey is it then Casey it will be!

31 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

When we played 3 tall defenders Smith was there in his own right not as cover for Lever.  I see no reason why TMac can't compete for that spot. 

Of course he would be competing with Petty as well but nothing wrong with competition for spots.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kent said:

I would have thought the Club has made it very clear to Tom that He is not required

It may be his choice to hang around money is the problem but I'm sure the club see it very clearly and dont think he can be rehabilitated

So if Casey is it then Casey it will be!

Agree..he has no spot on our list.

As I posted earlier I would be surprised if T Mac's management has not let it be known that he would take a paycut of say $100k. Add in $200k a year from us and his cost to a new club is around $400k.

If he can't get a taker on that money he would be in real trouble.

4 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Agree..he has no spot on our list.

As I posted earlier I would be surprised if T Mac's management has not let it be known that he would take a paycut of say $100k. Add in $200k a year from us and his cost to a new club is around $400k.

If he can't get a taker on that money he would be in real trouble.

Don't think either of Kent or DJ are in a factual state of what's gone on.

From  the Clubs Info released its  more like We have a spot but he is facing a lot less  Ists opportunity and is free to Look elsewhere for opportunities.

At this stage that's what IMO is the status but any scenarios could be possible as of now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 58er said:

From  the Clubs Info released its  more like We have a spot but he is facing a lot less  Ists opportunity and is free to Look elsewhere for opportunities.

At this stage that's what IMO is the status but any scenarios could be possible as of now.

Pretty much what Mahoney said on todays Trade Radio ? 

1 hour ago, 58er said:

If you're told to look elsewhere it's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

I wouldn't expect them to say ...you have no place... they know as we all do that it's quite possible we'll be stuck with him

The interesting thing which we won't be told is whether his manager was given an idea of how much of his salary we would pickup

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, drdrake said:

I think that might be a pretty much the same response we will get from all clubs.  Tom has been poor for 2 seasons, someone might take him as a fire sale but certainly not a priority for any club

i pray essendon take him or the dogs would be the only other shout

2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

If he can get fit again their is no reason he can't earn the Joel Smith role and return to the backline.

u mean petty's spot?

2 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

If you're told to look elsewhere it's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

I wouldn't expect them to say ...you have no place... they know as we all do that it's likely we'll be stuck with him

The interesting thing which we won't be told is whether his manager was given an idea of how much of his salary we would pickup

DJ from your and Kents post you are talking salary as a given etc (your figures not MFC) and how the message is being conveyed to Tomand Mamager

i am suggesting you're post is far More pointed above what is the real position.

Tom is doing what any player would but no luck as yet with any leads.

2 minutes ago, Turner said:

i pray essendon take him or the dogs would be the only other shout

u mean petty's spot?

No it's any ones spot from Smith and Tommo But I don't think he will replace Petty as Harrison will play firward or be the CHB from Round1. 

3 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

T Mac may have to accpet a salary cut if he wants to stay in the game.

There are limited opportunities for him at Melbourne if we get Ben Brown.

If he dropped to $450k of which we paid $200k he might get a buyer. He can then back himself to improve and get another few years at his new club. If it doesn't happen this year it's sure to happen in 2021 or he's out of the game.

Of course there's no guarantee another club would take him at the bargain price of $250k which shows how low his stocks have become.

Why? He has a 2 year contract on big money. He can keep his current salary as well as his spot on an AFL list, he doesn't have to sacrifice.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

No takers for McDonald.

Stupid to give him a 4 year contract after 1 good season.  Same with the Harmes contract.

Harmes is a bit different in that he has been played out of position basically all season and has affected his form. 

• Like 1

Unless we have someone we are specifically targeting this year with his salary, I’d be happy for TMac to stay for another year, come back 5kgs plus lighter, and give it a proper crack.

If that fails, move him on, pay a chunk of his salary for the remaining year and move on.

10 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

Harmes is a bit different in that he has been played out of position basically all season and has affected his form. 

But surely that raises the question of signing him to a long term deal when there is no clear role for him available?