• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Forgotten Demons

Bizzell Blitz

3 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

I’d say he’s currently a better player than Sparrow and Jordan.  If I was picking a best 22 for finals this year and I could only play one out of those three, I think I’d pick Tyson.

oscar could outrun tyson mate.. plus tyson couldn't kick. He was playing in the roos 2's last year

Would love Frosty back, but we needed to generate the 2nd round pick to do the Pickett deal. So it is what it is. 

Kent’s going better than Hannan and Nibbler right now but the real answer is to find another Butler or a mid/forward with pace/pressure and class. 

The case for Watts is as a back flanker with tremendous kicking skills, but he’s struggled to ever become that player. I’d overlook some other flaws if he nailed 10 corridor kicks a game!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Would love Frosty back, but we needed to generate the 2nd round pick to do the Pickett deal. So it is what it is. 

Kent’s going better than Hannan and Nibbler right now but the real answer is to find another Butler or a mid/forward with pace/pressure and class. 

The case for Watts is as a back flanker with tremendous kicking skills, but he’s struggled to ever become that player. I’d overlook some other flaws if he nailed 10 corridor kicks a game!

Not sure about his comparison to ANB.

Averages 9.7 disposals a game to ANB's 9.3. ANB averages 1 goal a game to Kent's 0.9, and 2.3 tackles per game to Kent's 2.0. ANB has higher disposal efficiency and fewer turnovers, but Kent has more metres gained and inside 50s.

Looks relatively even to me.

Statistically Kent's got Hannan covered, but I'm not sure that's an argument in favour of Kent.

As to Frost, why? Do you see him slotting into our side as a running player? We tried him in the OMac/Tomlinson role as the third defender - if this year has taught me anything, it's that we strived for, and succeeded with, reliability in the backline. Frost was not reliable.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Averages 9.7 disposals a game to ANB's 9.3. ANB averages 1 goal a game to Kent's 0.9, and 2.3 tackles per game to Kent's 2.0. ANB has higher disposal efficiency and fewer turnovers, but Kent has more metres gained and inside 50s.

Statistically Kent's got Hannan covered, but I'm not sure that's an argument in favour of Kent.

As to Frost, why? Do you see him slotting into our side as a running player? We tried him in the OMac/Tomlinson role as the third defender - if this year has taught me anything, it's that we strived for, and succeeded with, reliability in the backline. Frost was not reliable.

Yeah, Frost would be a shocking addition to our defensive system now. He doesn't understand how to maintain team structures, as evidenced by his headless chook routine in 2019, even when we'd stopped playing the aggressive press, he was still bolting out of defence like he was running the 100m sprint.

6 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

I’d say he’s currently a better player than Sparrow and Jordan.  If I was picking a best 22 for finals this year and I could only play one out of those three, I think I’d pick Tyson.

Dom Hasnt played for months and is in a 2 nd bottom team that is worse than us last year.! Also was injured a lot in 2019.

Is nowhere near the player he was when he left us and played  7/8 games if lucky!

Id fancy Sparrow definitely Now and in a Final in October as he slotted in quite nicely.

Same with Wattsy out injured fir 2 years nearly so coveted by Sparrow again!

6 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I think people need to let go of this. Watts was let go due to poor off field standards.

He will also be nearing 30 by next. He's finished unfortunately.

Chill out Dazzle.  It's wasn't like I'm advocating that we should go after him hard and pay overs.

Yes it was rumored that he did have some poor off feild standards and recruiting him second time around would be contingent on those issues being rectified, along with reasonable confidence in his physical fitness.

So what if he is 30 by next season.  Not all players drop off a cliff at 30.  Just look at the impact that Grant Birchall is having at Brisbane at age 32.  Obviously you'll make the case that Jack Watts probably doesn't quite have the track record of Birchall, but the later spent most of his career as part of a pretty well oiled machine, where as Watts played most of his in a basket cases side. 

I'd also contend that the criticisms of Jack by our supporters are somewhat overblown at times and more a reflection on what he was hyped to be as a No.1 pick vs what he delivered, as opposed to a critique which would be applied to any other member of the 22.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Kent's been a regular fixture in a team higher on the ladder than the one ANB can't get a game for. Neither are great though.

Frost, Lever and May played in 4 games together, which was really 3 as Frost was KOéd right at the start of QBday. All came at the end of a dead season with May and Lever far from peak form/fitness. That's not a proper trial. 

Frost started to become a reliable mark and reliable short kick when not playing Frost ball last year. In a more settled side he could've been trained up to play within the structure. Reading the play was never a strong suit but we've seen the backline function with a first year kid in Rivers, a new player in Lockhart, Tomlinson in a new role, Oscar in and out, and Harmes - who never looked comfortable. If all those guys can slot in and the backline can largely function well when there's up the ground defending I can't see why Frost couldn't.

I saw the Frost trade as making sure we didn't have so many resources tied up in one position. We recoup a 2nd round pick and save some cash. The cash we saved was then spent on Tomlinson who now looks best suited playing as a tall defender.

9 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

True, but the dominance of Steven May shows why we let him go.  Frosty had his moments but he was far too unpredictable, and Goodwin wants a tough, dependable back line.  Frosty was the anti-dependable defender, although I did enjoy watching him play.

I'm not suggesting you want him back, Pates, more that I've seen other posters throughout this year lamenting how we let him go.  I think we've seen enough now to show why we did.

Yeah all good and I am definitely in the category of shrugging my shoulder about it, I wanted him to stay but I wasn’t desperate and Frost was always behind the current crop. Is he an upgrade on Oscar? Yes. But his unpredictability made life complicated at times. I say good on him and good luck to him. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Waltham33 said:

Proposed (actual) list sizes next year doesnt help.  No outright to Dom and Dunn, though appreciate the service.  Watts is intriguing as he is skillful, then again laconic so it would take approx .5 games of him being back for DLand to blow up. 

10 hours ago, Wobbly Bob said:

Why would it matter that he is a man of few words?

I think the correct word is lackadaisical 

Thesaurus synonyms listed below, though not all actually applied to JL the general gist is there

SYNONYMS FOR lackadaisical

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

I liked Jack Watts however we move on and we don't look back. His services were no longer wanted.

Dunn had a   Use by date and    Dom had a Best Before date .

We have to look after our young talent as they are our future moving forward. We are not into going backwards anymore.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

FWIW . . . Frost's stats are certainly no better in 2020 than 2019. As I have said elsewhere over the last two-three years . . . Whorethorn are in a world of pain. They have a very bleak 10 years in front of them. Sam should continue to get a game there for the rest of his career. 

I like the thought about Hawthorns pain, unfortunately history suggests otherwise 

• Like 1

Definitely a no to all. An up and running Watts is the only scenario I'd remotely consider but what's the point? Always felt for the guy and I don't think I've ever heard the term "No.1 pick" and his name mentioned in the same sentence more than any other player who had that title. By our fans and other fans alike. It was unfair but we've moved on.