Tom McDonald

Elegt

17 minutes ago, BScotti said:

got to package him up with TMac then.....

Or just accept that neither really hold any trade currency and Tom will still cost us money for next 2 years.  Hopefully we can offload a far chunk of his contract to another club.  That is what it will come down to for Tmac not essential what we get back but how much we need to pay him for not playing with us.  I just feel that he will be at MFC in 2021 as no other club will be interested in paying 80-90% of his current contract,

I'm not a fan of trading him. Like the rest of the club he had a nightmare 2019, and this year he looked slow and immobile. But his footy before that was very, very good. Do we just consign that to the basket marked "in the past" and so trade him out? 

I would like to see what Burgess and the medical team can do with him over the summer, because looking at him, I am convinced he is either 1)carrying a foot, ankle, knee or leg issue, or 2) has something else that is restricting his running an fitness.

I remember him being one of our best runners over a number of years; let's see if we can get that back before offering to the altar of sacrifice known as the draft and trade period. 

• Like 2

my concern with this @Maldonboy38is Burgo is meant to be one of the best in the business. We've had Burgo for a year and i'm not sure if he's signed on for further years. He hasn't  been able to rectify whatever the problem is with Tom (if there is one).

• Sad 1

On 9/24/2020 at 1:17 PM, BScotti said:

I understand the interest in TMac and Pruessy, but has anyone heard any interest in OMac?

Maybe North could get the bookends Key Forward and Key Back, form a posse and rename it the James Gang in honour of our former leader who departed unceremoniously to GWS.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 2:19 PM, Maldonboy38 said:

I'm not a fan of trading him. Like the rest of the club he had a nightmare 2019, and this year he looked slow and immobile. But his footy before that was very, very good. Do we just consign that to the basket marked "in the past" and so trade him out? 

I would like to see what Burgess and the medical team can do with him over the summer, because looking at him, I am convinced he is either 1)carrying a foot, ankle, knee or leg issue, or 2) has something else that is restricting his running an fitness.

I remember him being one of our best runners over a number of years; let's see if we can get that back before offering to the altar of sacrifice known as the draft and trade period. 

He was hitting some form at the end of 2019 with 10 goals in the last 3 games, then went down with that meniscus tear.

I know virtually nothing about long term impacts and so forth but surely that knee injury has had a long lasting effect on him and is hampering his movement. Does it get better?

Agree mb. Some of the drivel written on this thread is amazing. 

• Like 1

I agree Maldon, he is either carrying an injury or too much weight - he is an endurance beast, so with the correct management he could and should turn it around. 

• Like 1

I still don’t think it’s clear that Toms poor form is in any way due to an injury or that he was just out of form and low in confidence.

He normally smashes the time trials , but didn’t really feature this year, which makes me lean towards some sort of injury concern.

• Like 2

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/10/01/melbourne-defender-expected-to-depart-club/

Article by Sam Edmund about Oscar Likely leaving. has the below on Tom

"Oscar’s brother Tom McDonald has also been the subject of trade speculation, but is set to stay at Melbourne where he still has two years to run on a contract.

It’s believed Tom has vowed to change his body shape in a bid to recapture the form as a key forward that helped the Demons make the 2018 preliminary final.

In an attempt to add strength and avoid getting pushed off the ball, he lost his athleticism and gut-running ability to get up and back. He will now work to strip weight over summer."

I’m very surprised that the added weight story is true. Still don’t think it’s anything close to 10kg. Half of that at most. But it’s baffling he’d change anything from 2018, especially with the game only getting faster. 

I have my doubts that it will make him any better. Gone are the days of Nick Riewoldt burning opponents at CHF. But any improvements in mobility have to help 

1 hour ago, roy11 said:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/10/01/melbourne-defender-expected-to-depart-club/

Article by Sam Edmund about Oscar Likely leaving. has the below on Tom

"Oscar’s brother Tom McDonald has also been the subject of trade speculation, but is set to stay at Melbourne where he still has two years to run on a contract.

It’s believed Tom has vowed to change his body shape in a bid to recapture the form as a key forward that helped the Demons make the 2018 preliminary final.

In an attempt to add strength and avoid getting pushed off the ball, he lost his athleticism and gut-running ability to get up and back. He will now work to strip weight over summer."

IF it was fitness and / or body weight related and not injury related (which honestly I doubt)  then we need to keep him. I know he's just a child and maybe that was part of it? But as an outside observer it looks like injury has ruined his career. 

If true, I can't place why Tommy would feel the need to put on more weight post 2018.

He was already very solid and was regularly winning 1 on 1's against key defenders. 

Edited by Demon Jack

He is a lump at the moment, and this is very welcoming news that it's at least been acknowledged.

If he can strip that weight off, then I am keen for him to stay and try and recapture form.

It's hard to bring in players from other clubs without giving away too much at the draft or even in the cap, so if we are to improve, the bulk of it has to come from within, and Tom is definitely one player who potentially has big upside compared to his recent form.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I’m very surprised that the added weight story is true. Still don’t think it’s anything close to 10kg. Half of that at most. But it’s baffling he’d change anything from 2018, especially with the game only getting faster. 

It was fairly obvious he was carrying more bulk now than 2018, he looks so heavy and really labors around. The interesting thing will be whether it was a club directive or if he took it upon himself?

I said previously, if the club directed him to do so, he has every right to be furious with them.

Looks like it will be a moot point, but I still don't think he is the answer either. He doesn't have any tricks and isn't a physical player