Worst conversion rate on record

Here’s a damning stat if there ever was one. The Dees have scored from just 32.2 per cent of inside 50s this year, which is the worst conversion rate on record. 

What makes this all the more damning are two things:-

(a) this was a problem last year - clearly hasn’t been addressed; and

(b) the statistic includes what was a very high rate of conversion for the first 1½ quarters of the game v Carlton in round 2 - without that period the conversion rate overall would be substantially worse.

Why are we failing so badly in such a fundamental area of the game?

• Like 1

We can't keep the ball inside 50:  lack of fwd pressure, out marked, out positioned, out coached.

For the millionth time: a fwd coach would help.

• Like 2

100% the job of the coaching group to work through.

Goodwin publicly says he is staying the course, even in the face of this alarming statistic. The sample is too large to ignore.

I hope in reality he’s not so stubborn as to be able to accept either the course is not working, or the players are unable to implement the course, and behind the scenes they are coming up with adjustments. I hope the public messages are just that.

If they aren’t coming up with adjustments, and the course continues to not work, the clock should be ticking loud on Goodwin’s tenure.

While Craig Jennings may have some sour grapes, his observations in the Gerard Whateley interview seemed spot on and quite damning. Melbourne seem quite simple to beat.

Edited by Lampers
Typo

Brisbane and MFC are the only 2 teams to have 40+ inside 50 in each game this year. The only real difference between 2018 MFC and 2020 MFC is conversion rate. I suggest the shift in forward personnel today with Weid and Bennell is a good start. That is what makes the stat so damning and also why we are not far off turning this about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Here’s a damning stat if there ever was one. The Dees have scored from just 32.2 per cent of inside 50s this year, which is the worst conversion rate on record. 

What makes this all the more damning are two things:-

(a) this was a problem last year - clearly hasn’t been addressed; and

(b) the statistic includes what was a very high rate of conversion for the first 1½ quarters of the game v Carlton in round 2 - without that period the conversion rate overall would be substantially worse.

Why are we failing so badly in such a fundamental area of the game?

Jack at last count there's about 200 plus threads on here covering this.

Assuming, like me, you live in Vic "The Infected State" (new Vic Road's number plate moto due in August), then you'll probably have plenty of "me" time on your hands to scour through them all at your leisure over the next 6 weeks.

Marking options up forward would help a lot.

At least we are finally playing Weideman this week, even though his marking is poor he’s at least big and provides a target.

This is why I am so adamant that Joel Smith should be forward because he provides a target and is dynamic.

A forward line of T. McDonald, Smith, Weideman and Fritsch as the medium to tall forwards would at the very least provide our midfield with a variety of targets forward. 

But alas, it’s the most obvious changes that Goodwin doesn’t see.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

At least we are finally playing Weideman this week, even though his marking is poor he’s at least big and provides a target.

This is why I am so adamant that Joel Smith should be forward because he provides a target and is dynamic.

A forward line of T. McDonald, Smith, Weideman and Fritsch as the medium to tall forwards would at the very least provide our midfield with a variety of targets forward. 

CB are you tall and big?  Can you mark ok by any chance?  Doing much at season's end for the next few years?

5 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Brisbane and MFC are the only 2 teams to have 40+ inside 50 in each game this year. The only real difference between 2018 MFC and 2020 MFC is conversion rate. I suggest the shift in forward personnel today with Weid and Bennell is a good start. That is what makes the stat so damning and also why we are not far off turning this about.

I would love  to know what was going through Viney’s head in the picture we have all seen, where he has 2 Dees players to his right and he goes long to the goal square.  Is it a game plan instruction of go long quickly, or has he simply thought that was the best option. 
The first is bad coaching, the second is bad decision making. 
The answer to this would be very incisive. 
If he played robotically under instruction, the Coach has to fix it or go. If it is a bad decision and against the Coaching it needs to be fixed as well, but it is a correction of poor play. 
The poor disposal is another thing altogether. Slowing the game down will help, but I think that if you are poor at this aspect you may not be able to get that much better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

I would love  to know what was going through Viney’s head in the picture we have all seen, where he has 2 Dees players to his right and he goes long to the goal square.  Is it a game plan instruction of go long quickly, or has he simply thought that was the best option. 
The first is bad coaching, the second is bad decision making. 
The answer to this would be very incisive. 
If he played robotically under instruction, the Coach has to fix it or go. If it is a bad decision and against the Coaching it needs to be fixed as well, but it is a correction of poor play. 
The poor disposal is another thing altogether. Slowing the game down will help, but I think that if you are poor at this aspect you may not be able to get that much better.

It’s almost like the instruction is to go long and been beaten into them for so long that nothing else enters the thought pattern. 

• Like 1

Check out the ‘Ask The Coach’ segments on the club  website over the last couple of months and the same question gets repeated on just about every segment. 

Why can’t we replicate the game style of 2018?

Goody’s answer - “ It’s pretty simple. Teams are defending differently to 2018 and we are working hard on an offence to break those defensive systems down. We think it’s not too far away.”

I don’t expect Goody to go into detail with those sorts of Q&As and I’m sure they are working on something but what exactly is anyone’s guess.

Apart from the 6-6-6 rule which only comes into play after goals how are teams defending differently since 2018?  Someone explain please. It’s hard judging by TV viewing, maybe someone that attends today’s game can give us a ground perspective.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Totally agree CB.

Henir any of his match day lieutenants (if any exist) don't seem to react on match days or even in training.

When suggested that Smith be included up forward I now agree  that his X FACTOR  could be the additional piece in our forward puzzle. He could be a revelation and take much planning away from Tommy Weid and Fritsch. Plus Bennell and Kosi. Liked Hannan's  game last week also.
Goody seems to stereotype players and put in boxes and not look for the outside the box solutions. Hence no changes on Sat during the game.

This must stop as it is foolhardy and nit positive to our Club. The assistants must fight fir this to be altered and msybe this has led to Jennings and McCartnry being changed and out of favour!

its a start today with Weid and Harley and hopefully better forward days in the sun!!

• Like 1

It’s a damning stat, but it’s also indicative that there’s a lot we’re doing right, and that not a lot would need to be tweaked for a sudden step change to occur.

It feels like this season has gone forever, because we bookended a very long break with disappointing performances, but we have only played 4 games. We’re less than a quarter of the way through. There is still HEAPS of time to get the system right. It’s in my nature to be optimistic but I see this as evidence that there’s a lot of promise we can build on, not evidence that the cause is lost as some will, and I think my conclusion holds up to logical reason (as opposed to being optimistic against all reason).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Stat they had on Footy Classified earlier in the week showed Brisbane have the lowest play on from a mark % in the league. It was something like 20% whereas last week vs Tigers we were almost 40%

If we could slow down a little and only go when it's actually on I'm sure it'd make a massive difference. It's probably also help the likes of Viney spot up the much better options inside 50 rather than sending in blind bombs.

Edited by JTR
spelling
  • Like 1

Yes in watching Brisbane closely they don’t slow down.  They get the mark or free kick and quickly get back for room, look for options and indeed always seem to have RUNNING PLAYERS as handball options who then kick the footy. 
Brisbane are now one of the best KICKING efficiency clubs. Not by accident. Fagan has taken this SIMPLE SKILL REQUIREMENT from Hawthorn and Clarko. Not secret sauce. 

Goody seems unable to bring in plan B. Plan A is win contested footy. Plan B missing right now 

It's the delivery.

Goodwin's style has always seemed based on territory IMO, and it seems like the players have had that message so stitched into their play that no matter how much 'work we do' the coaches haven't been able to change the behaviours that are automatic (by their own doing).

Once we start looking 30-40m out instead of going for territory to the goal square where we rely on 'bringing the ball to ground' (with 1 key forward, ugh) things will (can) turn around.

The challenge is finding a simple and effective way to change that behaviour.

15 minutes ago, Nasher said:

It’s a damning stat, but it’s also indicative that there’s a lot we’re doing right, and that not a lot would need to be tweaked for a sudden step change to occur.

It feels like this season has gone forever, because we bookended a very long break with disappointing performances, but we have only played 4 games. We’re less than a quarter of the way through. There is still HEAPS of time to get the system right. It’s in my nature to be optimistic but I see this as evidence that there’s a lot of promise we can build on, not evidence that the cause is lost as some will, and I think my conclusion holds up to logical reason (as opposed to being optimistic against all reason).

The Cats belted the LIons and we lost to them by a kick, after probably giving them 5 goals and failing to stop 2 easy ones.

Terrible disposal cost us the Tigers game.

We could have been 3-1 and then everyone would say we were going really well.

I agree, we probably need one aspect of our game fixed and we are an ok side. That is what is so frustrating for our supporters. 

• Like 2

Bad habits are hard to change when almost all of the leadership group are the main offenders. For years I have been bemoaning main culprit Nathan Jones momentum choking style of play and Jack Viney as a consequence was badly schooled as are the rest of the midfield. The infection is ingrained in now and difficult to change over one week.

Edited by america de cali

Our forwards don't actually know how to play as forwards. They position themselves in the wrong place and yes there is poor delivery. Most of this gets down to coaching.

• Like 1

Yes we have a full squad and should have beaten the Cats.  They are flying right now yet if Tomlinson kicks the ball 2 metres to the right then we win. It’s a game of ifs. 3 losses. To Eagles, Cats & Tigers.  Probably teams that will finish top 5. Need to improve dramatically but we are not as hopeless as the media are showing. 

• Like 2