WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - MITCH BROWN

Lord Nev

4 hours ago, JV7 said:

Not sure why all the angst towards Brown. He has proved over the last couple of years to be a good back up option for Essendon especially whilst Daniher has been missing. He would be more than capable of been a back up, put it this way his a better option than what Tim Smith would have been

I effectively see him as a replacement for Tim Smith and Brown is better. and on output I put Smith ahead of Weideman. Hopefully that changes but round 1 I think Brown would be selected ahead of the Weid. 

20 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Hi TGR. I'm still interested in your response to the above question. I, too, would like to know what you meant with the above. And, while you're at it, who's the trash? Or am I just wasting my time expecting you to substantiate your commentary?

I agree mate, who have we got rid of in recent years who have truly come back to bite us. 

Howe is the only one that springs to mind, but one of the reasons he left was because he wanted to play forward along with large $$$ and longer contract. He went to the pies, failed as a forward and the Buckley “reinvented him” as an intercept defender. 

Hogan might well reach his potential if his foot gets right. Watts has done little to have me worried at Port (apart from him playing his best game against us). Dunn we delisted and he did well at the Pies for a period. Going quite a way back we lost Frawley but were well compensated. 

I can’t recall anyone else really. 

6 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

Peptides mate can’t understand why they’ve ditched Brown considering that Hartley walked out

She says he’s a terrific fella with a great attitude

Reckons he’s on a par with McKernan for them

SOLD!! get him in on a two year deal with a trigger for 3rd!

It's a yes from me tall forwards don't grow on trees and he is capable of kicking bags. So I suppose this means no to Murray.

19 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

While I thought Sam Murray could be a good pick up, recruiting Mitch Brown seems like a no brainer given we currently lack an experienced back up tall forward.

In short, I’d be happy with using the equivalent of pick 97 on this guy.

I’m totally in the Yes to Mitch Brown.  We will lack forward depth and he showed real ability to hit the scoreboard.  Cheap option with good experience.  With Weid still not showing me his talent can meet the intensity of AFL, I’d like to keep depth options available.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Good Lord George said:

Sure, but he kicked 21 in a team that played finals (albeit briefly). How many would he have kicked with the way our mids delivered the ball? 

I'm not against picking him up to increase depth. But at nearly 30, how long are we realistically going to have him on the list? One year, max.

Yeah, I'm not sold on the idea of picking him up either, just pointing out to that his output isn't as terrible as some have suggested . Some of the remarks about him in this thread have been outrageous. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

Peptides mate can’t understand why they’ve ditched Brown considering that Hartley walked out

She says he’s a terrific fella with a great attitude

Reckons he’s on a par with McKernan for them

They delisted Brown first and then a couple of weeks later Hartley knocked back a delayed contract offer to test  the market.

This from my mate who's a mad Bombers supporter.

Pros: He has a huge tank and will literally run all day leading to flanks (like a decoy at times) creating space inside 50. Can kick well beyond 50 and tends to take a lot of his shots on goal from 40+ so his goal accuracy is probably negatively skewed given the degree of difficulty for his shots on goal.

Cons: Not good in one-on-one contests, not a key forward despite his height, forward pressure almost non-existent.

Overall he’s a handy depth player. Probably not in best 22 but ready to go when needed (i.e. no Daniher, Stewart). Underrated by most Essendon supporters but his running capacity alone makes him an asset and his long kicking is elite.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Matt Demon said:

Pros: He has a huge tank and will literally run all day leading to flanks (like a decoy at times) creating space inside 50. Can kick well beyond 50 and tends to take a lot of his shots on goal from 40+ so his goal accuracy is probably negatively skewed given the degree of difficulty for his shots on goal.

Cons: Not good in one-on-one contests, not a key forward despite his height, forward pressure almost non-existent.

Overall he’s a handy depth player. Probably not in best 22 but ready to go when needed (i.e. no Daniher, Stewart). Underrated by most Essendon supporters but his running capacity alone makes him an asset and his long kicking is elite.

Sounds like a VFL version of Tomlinson.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Matt Demon said:

Sounds like a viable tall half forward ‘roamer’ rather than a kp forward.  With Preuss, Weid, TMAc and Petty (+/-) as tall forwards, I think he is depth and coverage.  However, as 2019 shows, you gotta bat deep.

27 minutes ago, Laughing Goat said:

Mitch Brown....No, Harley Bennell....No, Sam Murray...No

What the hell is going on?

Are we really going after the right players......give me a break.

Lots of "no" there. Who should we be going after?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, Laughing Goat said:

I think the fundamental question is whether a recycled player is better than an untried player who we could select with pick 97 in the draft. If we think a recycled player is better, then it becomes a question of which one. I don't have a view as to which is better, but I can understand the thinking that at pick 97, the talent pool of untried players is likely to be at the extremely shallow end.

17 hours ago, 58er said:

Wasn't a forward no good up there !

Was our only forward who put forward pressure on though.

My point is ability, my point is why trade out a player and get in another NQR

Edited by Unleash Hell

6 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I think the fundamental question is whether a recycled player is better than an untried player who we could select with pick 97 in the draft. If we think a recycled player is better, then it becomes a question of which one. I don't have a view as to which is better, but I can understand the thinking that at pick 97, the talent pool of untried players is likely to be at the extremely shallow end.

It's my understanding that pick 97 will come in to about pick 70 after all the academy picks and passes.

16 hours ago, Laughing Goat said:

I think what is going on is that the club is taking a look at a range of players to see if they would improve our list. As I see it, that is exactly how they should spend the period before the draft and PSD. Some, like Sam Murray, it looks like we are passing on, others, like Harley Bennell, it looks like we are prepared to bet on. I doubt we will select Brown, but if we did it would likely be for tall depth and he would probably spend most of his time at Casey. 

Think we definitely need a backup versatile tall. Thoughts on lachie Henderson? Can play key position back which I think is important to help replace frost or as a forward. 

Would be looking at him first and then possibly walker than brown. I think having an extra defender who can go forward is more important. Hopefully tmac can come back and be in good form next year with weids or petty as second tall and fritsch as our medium forward? 

Not sure if we are undervaluing what Frost did for us this season as a key defender. His offensive is questionable but he managed to lock down on the key forwards pretty consistently. Was surprised we let him go instead of getting rid of omac.