Farewell Jesse Hogan

wizardinoz

4 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Just to be completely clear it was Treloar + 28 for 7 + 7 (next year) + 65

A 2nd rounder came back to GWS.

Which values Trealoar at 2701 points somewhere between pick 1 & 2... 

I think where this trade is skewed is Collingwood expected to jump into the 8 the year after landing him which would have pushed one of those picks to 11+

8 minutes ago, GCDee said:

Which values Trealoar at 2701 points somewhere between pick 1 & 2... 

I think where this trade is skewed is Collingwood expected to jump into the 8 the year after landing him which would have pushed one of those picks to 11+

Sorry, I didn't have the adjusted picks after Academy and compensation picks so it was actually a bit different in the wash (I've corrected it above now):

Treloar + 33 for 9 + 8 (next year) + 63

Treloar + 563 for 1469 + 1551 + 112

means Treloar for 2569, pick 2 = 2517

Edited by Fifty-5

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

Very Copperfield like in a fashion.....everyone look over there >>>>>>>>>>>>>  ;)

A master at obfuscation. 

1 hour ago, Baghdad Bob said:

I think what people are missing is that we are about outcomes and winning flags, not winning or losing trades.

If we get our outcome by trading Jesse we won't worry the small stuff.  If we don't get our outcome we won't trade.

Yep. And further to that you only had to listen to goody's b&f speech to understand they are thinking top 4 and a serious tilt at the flag next year.

If Hoges help us win a flag they won't care less if they get a little less in terms of trade value than trading him this year with a year on his contract.

In any case he might he worth more if he keeps improving and helps us win a flag.

On that last point few would argue how important Kennedy was this year for wc and in the gf. Terrific player. Hogan is miles ahead of him at a comparable age.

Edited by binman
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Winter Dan said:

Thats what I think as well. I think its been confused with salary cap - I dont think he articulated it clearly.

My point is he deliberately didn't articulate it clearly to give himself wiggleroom in the answer. You therefore can't say definitively either way.

3 hours ago, SFebes said:

To be honest I have never heard so much uneducated and poorly researched shizen dribble in years than I have on TradeRadio this week, it's actually a disgrace. Switched off.

Haven't listened at all.  Nothing to learn. It's radio for airheads.

Who ever made the comparison to CNN is right on the money.

There is an audience for these fools...the great unwashed, the same ones you hear in pubs and barbies spouting off as if they're informed. 

If the maclures of this world had shoddy reputations before well they're shooting themselves in both feet repetitively now. 

Scattergun rubbish.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, A F said:

My point is he deliberately didn't articulate it clearly to give himself wiggleroom in the answer. You therefore can't say definitively either way.

coming lebron james GIF by NBA

• Haha 1

Remember these guys are not brain surgeons.

Seriously, if they had any brains they would not be doing what they do. 

Sadly, the media is full of jumped up, second rate spruikers of bs. 

Its across all media covering all subject matter, it's just that sports media is at the bottom of the dung heap. 

They have a time slot on TV or radio or blog and have to say something that is supposed to be informative and entertaining. 

Hence the daily quest to bring an exclusive to the table or to break news.

The media outlet is not going to give the guys a gig if they bring their mum's chocolate cake recipe to the microphone. Its about headlines and short grabs, and a quick opinion which is said to be an "analysis" of the daily trade talk.  Its about these guys developing a reputation as a story breaker.

Investigative journalism it is not, but its looking at [censored] bits from sources and twitter feeds.  No skill required, its just having a pair of ears and eyes and an ability to build a narrative around the speculation. Until a club announces a decision, it is all speculation. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Sam McClure, everyone's favourite person on trade radio, just floated this idea which will include us losing Hogan and just gaining Steven May:

DojcoXYU8AALyf7.jpg?format=jpg&name=orig

The bloke is off his na-na.

Good to see most of the replies to this on Twitter acknowledge McClure has no idea. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/traderadio/status/1047335432990720002

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Good to see most of the replies to this on Twitter acknowledge McClure has no idea. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/traderadio/status/1047335432990720002

Seriously can't stand that bloke.

1) Neale is easily worth a 1st round pick and early 2nd.

2) Hogan is easily worth two first round picks

GC would probably accept pick 5 for May and Freo would be laughing if they got Hogan for Neale.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

The thing freo will be very aware of is Jesse isn’t 100% on staying or leaving and there is a serious possibility if he stayed and we had s great year and won the flag or went close, he may well decide this is pretty exciting I’m going to stick around. 

This may be their only chance because he’s already knocked them back multiple times so they won’t risk it by haggling too much, they know he’s worth 4&5 and that’s what they will give up. If they want to swap 5 to the power and give us 4&9 they can throw in Alex Pearce as well to further bolster our backline 

we hold all the cards. If freo want him, he’s theirs by they have to pay the price we set, and they should be grateful, given the player Jesse is and will become 4&5 is pretty reasonable. Treloar was 2&7 and Jesse is a key position player as well.. if Gibbs, treloar and lever are 2 first rounders  then Jesse possibly is more like 3 

Agree, but I'don't rather go after Gus's little bro.  Regardless, I think we should go after Andrew and any other Victorian worth pursuing, to destabilize Freo the way they have consitanly done over the past period with Jessy.  I really don't think first round draft picks are fair trade for Jessy and I'm not convinced May will deliver what we need either.

All will become evident in the fullness of time, but personally I've still got a really bitter taste from loosing Scott Thompson to the Crows and also feel really duded loosing Howe to the Pies.  I would absolutely spew if we lost Jessy and in the next few years he delivers on regularly being that Johnathan Brown dominant game changer type of player.

20 minutes ago, A F said:

Are you serious?

You have back pedaled AF.

You suggested that I had misrepresented people quoted in the media.  I had said "I took it to mean", that is an opinion. I have not misrepresented statements. You then said "You therefore can't say definitively either way." that is a back pedal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nasher said:

Possibly outcomes, in descending order of likelihood:

1) We get the deal done for fair trade

2) we can’t get the deal done, Hogan plays for us next year and we all have another crack at the end of next season 

3) we can’t get the deal done, Hogan plays for us next year and walks at the end of the year

I honestly can’t see 3) happening. He’s had multiple opportunities to shaft the club in his time here and he never has. I believe the club will get the job done, but I equally believe Hogan won’t screw us over if we negotiate in good faith. Going to the draft is not a threat we should concern ourselves with, and hopefully that’s a message Jesse’s manager gives to Freo.

4) Hogan reaffirms he's settled and re-signs with us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So much has been made of the go home to WA and going back to family thing with Jessy, that I really wonder if those has been way overstated as motivating factors.  Whilst it's difficult to fully know people's personal/family situations, I really do wonder what influence his family would be at this time.

At the end of the day, it's only 5-8 or so more years out of his life that he would be living in Melbourne.  I guess it is a personal thing, but I'd take the opertunity to play in a potential premiership team over more money (let's face it Jessy should retire with millions either way) and I'd be telling my kids to follow their own dream rather than feel like they need to stay close to home forever.

I'm not sure it's a forgone conclusion that Jessy will even express an intention that he wants out.  Probably fair enough to some extent that he weighs up the options in front of him and to some extent, there is no rush for him to make his intentions clear until it becomes an imperative within trade week.

• Like 1

Terry Wallace: "I don't think Melbourne will get 2 high end draft picks for Jesse Hogan. It might be the starting point of discussions, but it's not where the deal will end up."

Edited by adonski

3 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

4) Hogan reaffirms he's settled and re-signs with us.

5) We try to bluff Freo with demanding 2 x early first rd picks, only to realise that Hogan will leave for a pick around 18 next year, so we bite the bullet, trade him for something less than 4/5, and play in a Grand Final with Steven May at full back.

The idea of Hogan for May stinks to high heaven, but with the hand we have, it will only take Hogan to really warm to Freo, and we will be forced to take the single early pick. As much as I hate the idea, if it gets done, we are 1 large step closer to a flag.

Heres hoping we get more than pick 4, as we should.

4 minutes ago, adonski said:

Terry Wallace: "I don't think @melbournefc will get 2 high end draft picks for Jesse Hogan. It might be the starting point of discussions, but it's not where the deal will end up."

So Mr Helium says it so it is true?

I think the error many are supposing...( its certainly a foundation for much stupidity in the media )  is the idea of two sharp  end 1st rounders...and thats all.    if my crystal ball was less fuzzy Id probably be looking at around a good pick...sub 7...another 1st rounder..10-13....and an exchange of  maybe a latter 2nd from Freo for a 3rd from us.

its all about providing the currency for other deals...MFC will look holistically at all of this Im absolutely sure . And why? because thats the track record of recent years...just get the deals done to get the deals done. You dont  really get to spend any change !!

The deal with GC  for May wont be in isolation either...so again..its all about packages  that fulfill requirements...ours and others.

• Like 2