Lumumba documentary

Roger Mellie

5 minutes ago, rjay said:

See, there you go again...

You don't even know what I think of Lumumba, his time at Melbourne or his view of the world but it has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

So, if you do some research you might see that I didn't think we should have brought him into the club in the first place and I was happy to see the end of him.

He was a Roos vanity exercise.

However this has nothing to do with some of the points he is making, and I stress some.

I don't know if he is a victim or not, I think he is a very lucky man to have the opportunities he had and still has. He has a voice that for better or worse gets heard unlike most of us.

...but, I think we are over some of the nicknames that are offensive to some, him included. Also, there are racist elements in society as you well know. I actually happen to think they go both ways. I also think there are major indigenous issues to be sorted out and am interested in all opinions. I don't think the victim mentality and a lot of side issues really helps the debate but someone might convince me otherwise.

So, there you go. I'm not left or right, I have my own opinions and they are flexible. That means I like to listen and consider other peoples opinion.

...so go ahead and label me whatever you like. I actually hate labels myself, a bit of a simple way to look at life.

^

Well said, rjay.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I always find that watching a documentary there is a need to balance off initial reactions to a story with what the editors wanted to achieve. 

H was aware of making public his issues with his previous Club would probably result in exactly what is being said here. He refrained from disclosing those issues whilst he was at MFC because he did not want the Club involved with what were his personal issues with Buckley and McGuire as at the time we were going through a tough time as a Club. I think he should be congratulated for that. 

If you had met and spoken with H you would understand that as others have said he was a complex but engrossing person to talk to. He has had obvious issues with race for many years and I don't think that we still do not really know from what basis this has come from.  So what I am saying is I think we should cut him some slack because until you have walked in his shoes etc etc

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 64" said:

rjay, melbourne went out of there way to accommodate this professional manipulator.He continually identifies with himself as being victimised.The touchy feely brigade obviously see him as such including you.

Because people see some merit in some of the issues he had (note the word SOME), they (we) are the "touchy feely brigade"?? I think the tunnel visioned blinkered brigade sums you up nicely.

2 minutes ago, 64" said:

Dear lonsuffering, thanks for not answering the question and giving us a longwinded response.

Um, what question was he supposed to be answering?  At least he had something to say, unlike yourself who prefers to dismiss everything as leftist.

48 minutes ago, 64" said:

Your definitely leftist rjay so dont kid yourself.What was his excuse for leaving melbourne like he did. Racist?

The common wisdom (which is often not so common or wise) is he left because he couldn't get a game.

Leon Davis's comments in the Sun were very good I thought. think what you like of H but no-one should have to put up with racism no matter how 'casual'.

and if don't think this is not racism, you are wrong and you need to educate yourself

• Like 2

Watched the doco, and thought I'd wait to read the actions on here before posting. The underlining message that HL was getting across was that there is an inherent racist and homophobic culture within Australian society. And his thoughts are justified when you read this thread.

I've now totally divorced my thoughts of HL the Melbourne footballer with HL the human being. He is a complex but courageous person.

• Like 4

I personally have no care whatsoever for Harry. He has his life, his issues, by golly we all have our own set of problems.

He came to Melbourne with much promise about him and quite frankly he can join the list of abject failures along with Mitch.

That all he seems to do is polarise  our community  ( by that I talk of Demonland )  is indicative of any more time I could be bothered.

All I know is he cost us money, and the playing time of someone who COULD be bothered.

Go Demons

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 64" said:

Nonsense. Fact. The Russian Communists demonstrated racism against the Jews. The Chinese communists demonstrate racism towards several ethnic groups. These are leftists. The Nazis were openly racist. These were extreme right.

Edited by george_on_the_outer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, don't make me angry said:

Those that hate will always hate, those that hate h will always say negative things about him, I bet everyone that hates him are white middle aged men, and I bet the same people that hate him hated  Barack Obama. 

i understood a lot of black people hated obama. besides he was half white anyway so maybe that explains it? 

i doubt that a lot of the people you think hate H, actually do hate him. hate is a pretty strong word.

Edited by daisycutter

4 minutes ago, don't make me angry said:

Those that hate will always hate, those that hate h will always say negative things about him, I bet everyone that hates him are white middle aged men, and I bet the same people that hate him hated  Barack Obama. 

Casting Nasturtiums.

I don't hate H.

I reckon he has issues.

I'm middle aged and white but I liked Barack Obama .

I heard a woman on RRR yesterday state that she would "be comfortable" with no white people being around in London in 2066.The interviewer was white but laughed along as if this were something funny.

This would be considered hate speech with any dispassionate look at the wording of the law.But she was "fighting"racism apparently.

H has a history of borderline mental issues and perceived injustice is one of his narcissistic traits.

• Like 4