Aboriginals at our club

dazzledavey36

well now theres Davey, Pickett, Whelan, Weetra and now Hayes! would this be the first time melbourne has ever had this much aboriginals in our team? jeez how good would it be if we could fit all 5 in our side! the opposition wouldn't be able to match us lol picture this whelan takes the kick out, kicks it to Weetra takes 3 bounes running along the wing while Pickett cleans up any player that trys to go near him! handpasses to Hayes who baulks 3 players and kicks long to the forward line with Davey finishes off with a goal! thats some scary stuff. im allowed to dream am i?

well now theres Davey, Pickett, Whelan, Weetra and now Hayes! would this be the first time melbourne has ever had this much aboriginals in our team? jeez how good would it be if we could fit all 5 in our side! the opposition wouldn't be able to match us lol picture this whelan takes the kick out, kicks it to Weetra takes 3 bounes running along the wing while Pickett cleans up any player that trys to go near him! handpasses to Hayes who baulks 3 players and kicks long to the forward line with Davey finishes off with a goal! thats some scary stuff. im allowed to dream am i?

looks like it we had 4 in 1996, these guys are excellent

Here's the full list at all AFL clubs for 2007 (clubs and players listed alphabetically):

Adelaide: Andrew McLEOD Graham JOHNCOCK

Brisbane Lions: Anthony CORRIE (rookie) Chris JOHNSON Rhan HOOPER Ashley McGRATH Albert PROUD Jason ROE Sam SHELDON

Carlton: Joe ANDERSON Clint BENJAMIN Eddie BETTS Andrew WALKER

Collingwood: Leon DAVIS Brad DICK Chris EGAN Liam BEDFORD (rookie) Shannon COX Sharrod WELLINGHAM (rookie)

Essendon: Richard COLE Alwyn DAVEY Courtenay DEMPSEY Dean DICK (rookie) Leroy JETTA Andrew LOVETT Nathan LOVETT-MURRAY Paddy RYDER

Fremantle: Clayton COLLARD Troy COOK Jeff FARMER Antoni GROVER Roger HAYDEN Des HEADLAND Michael JOHNSON Calib MOURISH

Geelong: Nathan DJERRKURA Matthew STOKES Travis VARCOE

Hawthorn: Chance BATEMAN Lance FRANKLIN Mark WILLIAMS

Kangaroos: Matt CAMPBELL (rookie) Lindsay THOMAS Eddie SANSBURY Daniel WELLS Djaran WHYMAN

Melbourne: Aaron DAVEY Byron PICKETT Daniel HAYES (rookie) Isaac WEETRA Matthew WHELAN

Port Adelaide: Peter BURGOYNE Shaun BURGOYNE Nathan KRAKOUER Daniel MOTLOP Danyle PEARCE

Richmond: Andrew KRAKOUER Jarrod OAKLEY-NICHOLS Carl PETERSON Richard TAMBLING

St Kilda: Raphael CLARKE Xavier CLARKE

Sydney: Adam GOODES Michael O'LOUGHLIN

West Coast: Ashley SAMPI David WIRRPANDA

Western Bulldogs: Cameron FAULKNER Jarrod HARBROW (rookie) Josh HILL Malcolm LYNCH Brennan STACK

I do understand ur dreaming but Hayes will take some time and by then Wheels and Pickett will be out of footy (unless hes the next bartram...lets hope)

Here's the full list at all AFL clubs for 2007 (clubs and players listed alphabetically):

Brisbane Lions: Anthony CORRIE (rookie) Chris JOHNSON Rhan HOOPER Ashley McGRATH Albert PROUD Jason ROE Sam SHELDON

WJ, Sam Sheldon is Kenny's boy.

Lets not get TOO excited. I am a MASSIVE indigenous football fan, but i can still remember the David and Dale Cockatoo-Collins days. We had some "aboriginal talent" back then also, and we ALL remember how that turned out.

since when has andrew walker become an aboriginal?

went to school with his sister and older brother. from memory he's about a quarter aborigine, i think his grandma? can't remember if it's on his mum or dad's side though. his sister was fair skinned with red hair as a kid, hardly your typical koori, but apparently there's some aborigine blood in there somewhere.

claiming it just for the convenince me thinks...

we have had some good aboriginals over the past few years, its only now though hat they have got decent heads on their shoulders

sean charles and jeff farmer were both not up to it mentally when they were with us (farmer did mature after his "walkabout")

its good that byron, wheels and flash are all fairly settled into the AFL landscape, and able to help the 2 young boys into the system

One Aboriginal at the club who started like a house on fire was Les Bamblett who played in the 1980's. I remember him in an Under 19's final and he was sensational. He followed that up with some good early games before losing form and being traded to the Bulldogs.

One Aboriginal at the club who started like a house on fire was Les Bamblett who played in the 1980's. I remember him in an Under 19's final and he was sensational. He followed that up with some good early games before losing form and being traded to the Bulldogs.

Colin Graham is the first Aborigine I can remember since following Melbourne. A talented 1970's left footer/wingman. Ultimately, wouldn't have played 50 games though, from memory.

• 8 years later...

i will get jumped on for this, but would just like to nitpick 'aboriginal'. i think you would say 'indigenous' these days. i am not trying to be clever here. i just remember this was the term used in the 60's when i was a kid, and can sound demeaning:

http://www.aboriginalartonline.com/culture/aboriginal.php

So you felt the need to correct something someone said 9 years ago?

Close this thread...

• Like 1