WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - HARLEY BALIC

ignition.

Just now, demonzz said:

that's personal info, but I can tell you he came 3rd in peels b&f, only played 7 games with 6 bog's and he's only 20.

Can you imagine if we had a player at Casey who was best on in 6 of his 7 games? The hype would be enormous.

• Like 5

Welcome Harley!

Really hope he can be a bit of a surprise packet for us. Just needs to get those mental issues sorted and hopefully his wrist has been mended, from what I hear it severely limited his ability for weights work and training.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deemented Are Go! said:

Is this the first 'Harley' to ever play for the MFC?

Welcome, Harley. Let's hope he's a bit of a surprise packet.

think harley is armenian for jake ;) which is the new jack

Edited by daisycutter
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

I like the one year but it does confirm that the FD think he is a long shot.

Good luck.

Not necessarily. His manager might've wanted good money for him ie. 300k a year for 2 years. Melbourne might've said that's too risky have 200k for 2 years. A one year 250k deal might've been the compromise. If he settles in and plays well for the year he might get more in 2019 on a new deal than if he signed for 2 years now. From what he did in a few games this year and WAFL form I think he's a very strong chance of getting another contract if he doesn't have the personal issues.

• Like 1

On 08/06/2017 at 3:13 PM, ignition. said:

Harley Balic: age 20, height 187 cm, weight 82 kg, outside (predominantly) midfielder originating from Victoria. Out of contract (2017).

Some of you may remember him from 2015. He was touted as a top 20 pick who slid to Fremantle's pick 38.

He's since taken leave several times, currently on permanent leave, due to homesickness.

I was quite impressed watching him play against us this year. I recall him winning some tough contested ball and hitting some rather difficult targets by foot. Overall, he didn't get a great deal of it but he did do enough to stand out.

At the moment his market value is as low as it can be, and we (or any other Victorian-based club) should be able to acquire him with a 4th round pick.

Considering the probability of those late picks coming to fruition is quite low, whoever acquires him will have themselves a steal.

A few years ago I made a thread proposing the selection of Shane Biggs as a rookie (now a W.B premiership player). I hope we don't miss this opportunity.

Observations and thoughts? (I think dazzle saw a bit of him in his U18 year?)

Nice one Ignition. Hats off to you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

i have no emotion for Watts..I have supported the trading of him from the start. I am only concerned about the way we handled the trade and the public declarations and the effect they had on his value. are you daft? 

I haven't mentioned anything about Hogan being worth anything, because Hogan leaving is FAKE news. 

We cleared out Watts to free Salary cap for Lever and future re-signings. I know this as FACT. So jump off ya high horse, realise you are not the only one with an 'opinion' who has gathered first-hand facts on this issue.

Well if you know all these facts, then you should also know lever is worth 2 first rounds picks & JW had zero trade value regardless of the speculation.

Maybe youd care to explain how we'd get a higher pick out of port which they didn't have? 

You are talking rubbish like i pointed out in my first reply to you and you haven't made anymore sense since.

If your going to make statements like we dont know how to trade back then up with actual events not just your opinion because we've seen in the past few comments beteeen us you haven't been close to them

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, hardtack said:

It's already been reported in Real Footy that the trade will happen tomorrow and that we will be giving pick 66 for him... as mentioned above by another poster.

His off-field issues related to anxiety caused by being away from his extremely close family... apparently his mother was quite distraught that he went to the west and his father had, jokingly, offered him $70,000 to stay home. But of course that probably doesn't fit the doom and gloom narrative that is ever popular amongst many posters on this site.

Just as we're apparently paying part of Jack Watts salary, I wonder whether Balic's father will be paying part of his son's salary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, SaberFang said:

The way we're traveling, why not a future 2nd round? Hell, throw them the 31 we got for Watts as a sweetener. 

Pick 66 seems good value to me. Little downside in that. ?