• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2017 Clash Guernsey

SaberFang

2017 Clash Guernsey  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 hours ago, gg24 said:

Red option plus a royal blue option would cover all bases - can't think of any team we would go close to "clashing" with if we had these two plus our home jumper to choose from. 

West Coast have done a similar thing for 2017. 

F85B1B5B-8D8A-4A26-BE29-B585B73D3BAB.jpg

IMG_4482.JPG

The Eagles clash jumper options above make a mockery of this supposed mandatory "predominantly white" clash strip crap the club has been peddling, as do the several other clash jumpers from other clubs sited with this thread.

The white predominance may have once been a policy, but in keeping with societal standards, the AFL is now applying a more multicoulourtural approach and accepting those with backgrounds other than white - the MFC needs to move with the times.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Im still not sure who we actually clash with ?

2cypt8n.jpg

I don't really get the the away strips either, especially the fact that Collingwood gets away with the same look but just reversed.??

It's pretty ordinary either way but from a graphic design perspective, the logo positioning is terrible. It reminds me of the NBL jerseys in the 90s - our logo looks like another sponsor rather than something directly  related to the club.

On 11/15/2016 at 8:45 PM, Deeoldfart said:

I know I'm getting old, but reading this thread is giving me flashbacks to this time 12 months ago, and the year before. and ........................

That was the same thing I thought DOF.  

I've thought for quite some years that I've read literally every possible permutation of opinion on this site already know, and everything from now forward is just a repeat.  This topic is probably the finest example - EVERY year it's "oh, it's the worst white guernsey ever, even worse than last year.  Here are all these great examples that aren't white - let's just pretend it's not a requirement that our clash jumper be white..."

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nasher said:

That was the same thing I thought DOF.  

I've thought for quite some years that I've read literally every possible permutation of opinion on this site already know, and everything from now forward is just a repeat.  This topic is probably the finest example - EVERY year it's "oh, it's the worst white guernsey ever, even worse than last year.  Here are all these great examples that aren't white - let's just pretend it's not a requirement that our clash jumper be white..."

So Nasher, should we all just be feable, apathetic and console ourselves to watching our team play in colors that over 90% of us do not approve of (and seriously can you please revoke the user IDs of the 9% that claim to love this jumper, because they are clearly not Melbourne supporters).

But you are right in sense, to effect change, we probably need to do more than exchange or views and ideas on this forum(although I do think there is still value in that exchange).  My correspondance campaigns hasn't finished with the emails I have sent to the club, as I will be following up with old fashioned hard copies addressed to key decision makers and people in positions of influence within the club and encourage all others who take this issue seriously on this forum to do likewise.  

Satty -you know all the players, what about board members etc?

• Like 4

On 15/11/2016 at 10:14 PM, Swooper Northey said:

I've written to the AFL about the inconsistent clash jumper policy because it's one of my biggest gripes in the current game. After repeated emails to a generic address I eventually got a response from Tessie McManus who is the Match Day Operations Manager at the AFL. Her email address is: [email protected]u

I'd encourage you to make your thoughts known because even though I appreciated the fact that she responded, she couldn't really provide a sufficient answer to my many queries.

These included:

1.) Why did we have to wear a white clash jumper against Port when Adelaide wore it's predominately navy jumper in its away match against the Power?

2.) Why were Carlton and Essendon both permitted to wear their traditional uniforms when they met, yet we had to wear white in our away match against both clubs?

3.) Why did we have to wear hooped socks against Gold Coast at Metricon, yet in the return match at the MCG the Suns made no change to their uniform?

4.) Why is Brisbane allowed to wear its Fitzroy themed red, blue and yellow jumper against us, with predominantly red socks?

These are just a handful of examples that I can draw upon which points to the confusion and inconsistency surrounding this issue. There are many more that I could point to.

I wrote to both the afl and the club

Why don't you? They notice. For each that writes they assume many more hold the same view.

Why do you need an away strip at all playing against the following clubs without red and blue in their strip?
Collingwood richmond gws st kilda freo hawthorn port Adelaide
The following clubs have blue or red in their scheme but there is no clash or risk of confusion
Geelong north Sydney carlton west coast essendon

The strips with some risk of clash / confusion are
Bulldogs Adelaide brisbane - but not much risk 

Speak up

• Like 4

7 hours ago, dino rover said:

I wrote to both the afl and the club

Why don't you? They notice. For each that writes they assume many more hold the same view.

Why do you need an away strip at all playing against the following clubs without red and blue in their strip?
Collingwood richmond gws st kilda freo hawthorn port Adelaide
The following clubs have blue or red in their scheme but there is no clash or risk of confusion
Geelong north Sydney carlton west coast essendon

The strips with some risk of clash / confusion are
Bulldogs Adelaide brisbane - but not much risk 

Speak up

Agreed re speaking up and writing in  

I think another big shift in this issue compared with previous years is that white is clearly not a requirement for more and more clubs - Essendon (red kit), Richmond (yellow kit) and now West Coast (royal blue/yellow kits) and Brisbane (red/yellow kits) are cases in point. 

How can white possibly be a requirement anymore? Royal blue option plus a red option of our same traditional jumper design would tick off any potential clashes and meet the same requirements as the above four clubs. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gg24 said:

Agreed re speaking up and writing in  

I think another big shift in this issue compared with previous years is that white is clearly not a requirement for more and more clubs - Essendon (red kit), Richmond (yellow kit) and now West Coast (royal blue/yellow kits) and Brisbane (red/yellow kits) are cases in point. 

How can white possibly be a requirement anymore? Royal blue option plus a red option of our same traditional jumper design would tick off any potential clashes and meet the same requirements as the above four clubs. 

This Post Sums it up. We the MFC have been told to wear a white strip. Other clubs were not. 

I hope PJ can stand up to this situation in the coming years

• Like 3

What clash? I do not see any clash. In 55 years I have never seen a Melbourne player kick the ball to a (for eg. ) Carlton player because he mistook the colours......or Essendon...or  Richmond.....what was wrong with black (home) and white (away) shorts...nothing.

7 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but have the players (from any club, not just ours) ever said that they believe different jumpers are necessary to avoid on field problems? 

I believe it's mostly a TV broadcast issue, that certain teams are deemed to cause difficultly when watching them in their home colours. 

Us vs St Kilda, Essendon, and the Blues would be the ones I can think of off the top of my head. 

I think in the heat of battle the players know who their guys are. Shorts play a part in that as well. It used to be as simple as a team wearing white shorts instead as a clash alternative. 

23 minutes ago, special robert said:

You are right Pates.........A tv/Broadcast issue....so who can't work out which team is which? 

And with HD broadcasts and big flat screen TVs, coverage of the game is clearer than ever before. So it begs the question, how many uniforms actually clash?
In the majority of cases, a novel idea would be to see the away team wear white shorts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, titan_uranus said:

I don't care about wearing white, although I'd like it if there was clarification from the AFL as to what the so-called "rules" are.

However, the jumper in the OP, regardless of it being white, looks terrible.

why would a leopard change his spots and ever try to 'clarify' anything (unless there was a pot of $$$s in it). It's just not in their dna :lol: 

• Like 1

The AFL is notoriously short on logic. Mark my word...some clubs having to tow the line is more about 'afl mateship' than any logic.

We need to go'em!!  Backfoot them.

Gill's a coward...A well paid one but hasno balls

• Like 1

13 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but have the players (from any club, not just ours) ever said that they believe different jumpers are necessary to avoid on field problems? 

Yes, I can clearly see how our players could have trouble distinguishing the principle design of the MFC's clash jumper from a St Kilda jumper when we play against them.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=melbourne+vs+st+kilda+2016&client=ms-android-alcatel&site=webhp&prmd=vni&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjs5f__l67QAhVBl5QKHcyOBhwQ_AUICSgD&biw=360&bih=515#imgrc=Sk6dWCC18roEGM%3

Thankfully we no longer need to play our home games on their home ground.  Time to stop playing it their jumper as well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, special robert said:

You are right Pates.........A tv/Broadcast issue....so who can't work out which team is which? 

14 hours ago, Swooper Northey said:

And with HD broadcasts and big flat screen TVs, coverage of the game is clearer than ever before. So it begs the question, how many uniforms actually clash?
In the majority of cases, a novel idea would be to see the away team wear white shorts.

Honestly I agree with you guys, my preference would be that the players don't wear clash strips but the AFL, pointing to ease telling teams apart on the TV, have decided they want one lighter and one darker coloured team. 99% of the time this makes it so Blind Freddy can tell them apart. My issues are much less to do with the policy of wearing it, although there are times you really question if it's required, and more to do with design.

If it has to be than at least put the boys in something that required more thought than slapping the logo on a white background.

Edited by Pates

Might have been an issue at the beginning of 2016 when Channel 7 didn't broadcast the footy in HD (for some mind boggling reason).

But they miraculously flipped the switch half way through the year. I really don't see TV viewers' confusion as a valid reason any more.

19 minutes ago, Choke said:

Might have been an issue at the beginning of 2016 when Channel 7 didn't broadcast the footy in HD (for some mind boggling reason).

But they miraculously flipped the switch half way through the year. I really don't see TV viewers' confusion as a valid reason any more.

wasn't even an issue without hd and since digital tv

• Like 2

As usual     It's all about money with the AFL and clubs

Most clubs bring out a clash jumper every year so supporters will buy the new design.    The AFL think that anything that bring money in is a good thing.

The only jumper I ever had was the one my mum knitted me back in the sixties which I wore with pride

I find the money grab insulting every year.   How much are supporters slugged for to buy jumpers?

As for the "clash" jumper..   What a load of crap by the AFL.....As I've said before I could tell the difference between teams on a bloody black and white TV. 

• Like 2