• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2017 AFL FIXTURE

Chris

4 hours ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

I believe Geelong does not have access to Simmonds in the first 8 rounds due to the new stand

yeah..... we will have to wait until finals till we play there....

6 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

St Kilda got

4 Friday nights

14 games at Etihad

4 Six Day breaks

How much did they pay the AFL under the table for that?  We got robbed.

Honestly mate, I don't want to gatecrash your pity party, but we got a pretty good draw.

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, True Heart said:

Very optimistic.

We lost to Essendon's Reserve Grade team and now you expect us to beat their A Grade side.

Adelaide, Hawks as Wins very interesting.

Freo with their stars back will be a top 8 side again. Not an automatic win like last year.

All depends on injuries and our development of younger players but I see an 11/11 or 12/10 win/loss ratio.

Freo stars? Except for Fyfe who is missing? 

I think we can get up against Adelaide as they have never played in Darwin. 

We will be $1.25 favorite against essendon. 

28 minutes ago, Mr Steve said:

Melbourne are favourites to win the opening game. $1.80 to $2.00.  We could easily win our first ten. 

We could......as long as we aint favourites....

• Like 3

"The Demons for me are very big winners. Now we all know that the Demons can explode,’ he said

“(They’ve got one Friday night game), They’ve also got Queen’s Birthday, they’ve got a Monday night game, which is ANZAC Eve, which went very well last time, it’s a Richmond home game.

“They play only Adelaide Crows (of the top 8) twice, and then North Melbourne, St. Kilda, Collingwood (North finished in the 8 but we don’t think they will this year, they play them twice) and then they play Carlton twice. Should be an easy beat.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2016/10/27/ralphy-discusses-his-winners-and-losers-of-the-afl-fixture/

MELBOURNE

PROS: Melbourne has a golden opportunity to get off to a hot start with its first seven games scheduled in Victoria. The Demons then round out their season with three matches in a row at the MCG between rounds 21 and 23. A home Friday night match against the Sydney Swans in round 15 is another major positive.

CONS: Melbourne has eight six-day breaks (the equal-most in the competition), which includes two after travel and two lots of back-to-back six-day breaks.

PLAY TWICE: Adelaide, North Melbourne, St Kilda, Collingwood, Carlton

BYE: Round 11

FIRST FOUR WEEKS: St Kilda (a), Carlton (h), Geelong (a), Fremantle (h)

LAST FOUR WEEKS: Greater Western Sydney (a), St Kilda (h), Brisbane Lions (h), Collingwood (a)

SIX-DAY BREAKS: Eight

THEY SAY: "We hoped for a long time that we would play all of our Victorian home games at the MCG. The MCG is our home and a really significant part of our club and we are pleased that our Victorian home games will be played at the the ground," Melbourne chief executive Peter Jackson said.

WE SAY: The Demons have one of the most friendly fixtures out of any side in the AFL. Their seven home games inside Victoria to start the season is a significant advantage. Three matches at the MCG at the end of the season could also set Melbourne up for a run at the finals if the club's projected upward trend continues.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-27/2017-fixture-reaction-every-club

Seriously, some of the negative reactions here border between over the top to downright silly.

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, stuie said:

Seriously, some of the negative reactions here border between over the top to downright silly.

Agree. Havent been able to go through them all in super detail but I have us around about the top 5 with the likes of the Saints, Dogs, Swans and Giants. Compared to some we have nothing to complain about.

• Like 1

The fact we get two Monday games, exclusively, is a bonus in itself, there is no other game to compete with us on either day and if we keep the numbers up, we will own one outright and share the other.

Friday night when lots of people go out, or ANZAC eve which is a quiet night before a Public Holiday; Queen's Birthday Monday where most people will be back from the long weekend early afternoon if they have gone away.

Two blockbusters for a club our size and if we play our cards right we will keep them for a long time.

The Saints finished two games clear of us, so even if we think we are better than them, they have the runs on the board. Essendon have a huge TV audience, so the TV stations want to maximise audience, it's not right, but it's a business decision.

The Bullies Friday nights will be interesting, I can't see them holding large audiences viewer wise, so it may depend on who they play. Rounds 4, 6 and 21will be interesting, North and then GWS twice, game against North will be a fizzer and I doubt that GWS will capture big audiences.

I'm happy with our lot, it's our decision to have two games in NT and if we didn't we'd have 14 games at the G but make a lot less money.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Their Jewish supporters won't be happy! 

gets worse for all observant Jewish supporters of any clubs - the grand final next year falls on Day of Atonement  - the holiest day on the Jewish Calendar 

16 minutes ago, Dante said:

The fact we get two Monday games, exclusively, is a bonus in itself, there is no other game to compete with us on either day and if we keep the numbers up, we will own one outright and share the other.

Friday night when lots of people go out, or ANZAC eve which is a quiet night before a Public Holiday; Queen's Birthday Monday where most people will be back from the long weekend early afternoon if they have gone away.

Two blockbusters for a club our size and if we play our cards right we will keep them for a long time.

The Saints finished two games clear of us, so even if we think we are better than them, they have the runs on the board. Essendon have a huge TV audience, so the TV stations want to maximise audience, it's not right, but it's a business decision.

The Bullies Friday nights will be interesting, I can't see them holding large audiences viewer wise, so it may depend on who they play. Rounds 4, 6 and 21will be interesting, North and then GWS twice, game against North will be a fizzer and I doubt that GWS will capture big audiences.

I'm happy with our lot, it's our decision to have two games in NT and if we didn't we'd have 14 games at the G but make a lot less money.

Usually they might, but our ladies team our did them the other year on the same weekend!

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Honestly mate, I don't want to gatecrash your pity party, but we got a pretty good draw.

We did very well as far as who we play - we play just two top 8 teams from last season twice, and North should suck this season.

I am more concerned about the 8 six day breaks, and the two NT trips which doesnt include a bye on the return from Darwin.

But having thought about it more it really is a very good draw.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, nutbean said:

gets worse for all observant Jewish supporters of any clubs - the grand final next year falls on Day of Atonement  - the holiest day on the Jewish Calendar 

Thanks Nut. Yom Kippur indeed. Go with repentance and fasting but perhaps not a day in synagogue. Over time, there have been many Jewish sport stars that have stood out of games due to the clash. From a gentile viewpoint, as a practising Christian, Eric Liddell of Chariots of Fire fame refused to run in the 100m, his favourite event, at the 1924 Paris Olympics due to his beliefs that prevented him from competing on Sunday. God was on his side and he duly won the 400m a few days later. I suspect that this kind of conviction will not be present on Good Friday when footy is scheduled. Anyway, I like the paradox of the Day of Atonement and the Grannie. Sorry folks gone off topic here. Such is Demonland as there is both an intellectual and spiritual side of this remarkable site, and posters who come up with remarkable observations.  Also a dark side, and those who "want it darker". Sorry Leonard but I have just been listening to you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hemingway said:

Thanks Nut. Yom Kippur indeed. Go with repentance and fasting but perhaps not a day in synagogue. Over time, there have been many Jewish sport stars that have stood out of games due to the clash. From a gentile viewpoint, as a practising Christian, Eric Liddell of Chariots of Fire fame refused to run in the 100m, his favourite event, at the 1924 Paris Olympics due to his beliefs that prevented him from competing on Sunday. God was on his side and he duly won the 400m a few days later. I suspect that this kind of conviction will not be present on Good Friday when footy is scheduled. Anyway, I like the paradox of the Day of Atonement and the Grannie. Sorry folks gone off topic here. Such is Demonland as there is both an intellectual and spiritual side of this remarkable site, and posters who come up with remarkable observations.  Also a dark side, and those who "want it darker". Sorry Leonard but I have just been listening to you.

not big on religion but i am big on family and these sort of things brings family together.

However I do have priorities and I can tell you exactly where my family ( and me )would be next September 30 if the Dees made the big dance. ( we can repent heaps later!)

Edited by nutbean
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, nutbean said:

not big on religion but i am big on family and these sort of things brings family together.

However I do have priorities and I can tell you exactly where my family ( and me )would be next September 30 if the Dees made the big dance. ( we can repent heaps later!)

Agreed brother. 

7 hours ago, stuie said:

Round one, St Kilda v Melbourne, Etihad Stadium
On 14 straight occasions the Demons have lost to the Saints. The streak has to end at some point, so could 2017 be the year? Former Bombers will be prominent in this game, with Michael Hibberd and Jake Melksham set to line up for the Dees, while Jake Carlisle is expected to play for the Saints.

Round six, Essendon v Melbourne, Etihad Stadium
The Bombers and Demons have had an interesting history of late and last year Essendon got the chocolates, shocking the Demons in round two to claim the first of their three wins for the year. Michael Hibberd and Jake Melksham will come up against their old side for the first time after being two members of Essendon's suspended players to change clubs.

Round seven, Melbourne v Hawthorn, MCG
Jordan Lewis's arrival at Melbourne after four premierships and a best and fairest at the Hawks makes this a must-watch. The veteran played Melbourne 12 times with his only loss coming in round 20, 2016. He also polled 13 of his 69 career Brownlow votes against the Demons but he will want to prove to the Hawks he can dominate.

Round 15, Carlton v Adelaide, MCG, Saturday afternoon
This contest would have had some extra spice had last week's trade gone through that saw Bryce Gibbs become a Crow. But as we know, the proposed deal hit a snag when Carlton refused to lower its price for the best and fairest winner and Adelaide believed the Blues would blink and let him return to South Australia.

How the feck is this a game to watch? Urgh.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

St Kilda 4? Carlton, Essendrug and Richmond with more than us?

Is that a [censored] joke?

I'd prefer St Kilda getting airtime. They won't have anywhere to hide when they get exposed by decent sides. I'm glad they're not being overrated by anyone other than their own supporters.

4 hours ago, Jaded said:

Look, we are never going to get the best draw because we aren't one of the big clubs.

Considering the absolute shizen they've handed us for the last 10 years, we need to be happy with what we've received this year. 

If we seriously want to play finals and be a contender, we need to learn to win at Etihad, win off 6 day breaks, and beat sides we haven't been able to beat in years. This is all part of becoming a good team.

Considering that we avoid playing twice teams like Hawks, Geelong, Sydney, GWS, WCE & Dogs, is already a massive bonus. If we can't beat mediocre teams like North, St Kilda, Carlton and Collingwood, than the draw makes no difference and we are never going to be any good anyway.

Commercially this is a good fixture, it allows us to get maximum exposure early on, get some wins, increase membership numbers etc. We got 2 big games, 1 Friday night against a good opponent, and some home games against big clubs. 

Yes we have a hard stretch there in the middle with 3 short 6 day breaks including a trip to Perth, and 3 tough opponents. 

At least we start and finish the year off with a good draw! 

Beautifully put. Also very un-jaded

Edited by AmDamDemon

3 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

We did very well as far as who we play - we play just two top 8 teams from last season twice, and North should suck this season.

I am more concerned about the 8 six day breaks, and the two NT trips which doesnt include a bye on the return from Darwin.

But having thought about it more it really is a very good draw.

The 6 day breaks will definitely test us, really agree there, but I think we have a great fitness/medical team now and solid depth so I'm expecting us to handle it ok.

• Like 1

This is, in almost all respects, a good draw for the club.

Getting a Friday night home game is a huge step in the right direction. Home games against Carlton, Hawthorn, NM, Collingwood and St Kilda are all good for us, as is not having a home game at Etihad.

We also have to be stoked with the teams we get twice next year. North, Carlton and Collingwood are teams we should be beating next year. And to only get Adelaide from the top 6 is very fortunate indeed.

We also get two of our interstate games on Channel 7 (vs West Coast and vs Adelaide) which, IIRC, hasn't happened in about 5 years (all our FTA games have for the last few years been Melbourne games).

The amount of six-day breaks is a bit disappointing but, ultimately, it's a draw that gives us a good shot at finals and is at least some reward for improved performance (how St Kilda got 4 Friday night games is beyond me).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

This is, in almost all respects, a good draw for the club.

Getting a Friday night home game is a huge step in the right direction. Home games against Carlton, Hawthorn, NM, Collingwood and St Kilda are all good for us, as is not having a home game at Etihad.

We also have to be stoked with the teams we get twice next year. North, Carlton and Collingwood are teams we should be beating next year. And to only get Adelaide from the top 6 is very fortunate indeed.

We also get two of our interstate games on Channel 7 (vs West Coast and vs Adelaide) which, IIRC, hasn't happened in about 5 years (all our FTA games have for the last few years been Melbourne games).

The amount of six-day breaks is a bit disappointing but, ultimately, it's a draw that gives us a good shot at finals and is at least some reward for improved performance (how St Kilda got 4 Friday night games is beyond me).

Gil barracks for the Saints!

• Like 1

This is very simplistic I know, but here is our fixture based on teams we beat (at least once) in 2016

Rd1 Saints Etihad
Rd2 Carlton MCG
Rd3 Geelong Etihad
Rd4 Freo MCG
Rd5 Rich MCG
Rd6 Essendon Etihad
Rd 7 Hawks MCG
Rd8 Adel AO
Rd9 North MCG
Rd10 Gold Coast Tregar 
Rd11 Bye
Rd12 Queens Bday
Rd13 Bulldogs Etihad
Rd14 West Coast Away
Rd15 Swans MCG
Rd16 Carlton MCG
Rd17 Adel Darwin
Rd18 Port MCG
Rd19 North Tassy
Rd20 GWS Manuka
Rd21 StKilda MCG
Rd22 Brisbane MCG
Rd23 Collingwood MCG

Only 9 wins, but given that in the remaining 13 games we play the Saints, Carlton and North twice and Essendon once I think we have a pretty good chance of 13+ wins and potentially up to the 15 mark if things go to plan...

Keep a lid on it!