2016 Player Review - # 16 Dean Kent

Demonland

After a disappointing year in 2015 when his season was destroyed by a bad hamstring tear, a reinvigorated Kent had an excellent year as he used his pace and evasiveness to play an important role on the team's forward line.

Games MFC 2016 20

Career Total 52

Goals MFC 2016 25

Career Total 49

Keith "Bluey" Truscott Memorial Trophy 235 votes

• Like 1

Prone to being a total passenger when we play poorly. Probably just a product of an inexperienced HFF player. His best his quality and he's only just passed 50 games as a player, so he was still really playing as a junior member of the side this year; he still has plenty of time to work on it.

His best is fast, dangerous, hard and exciting. Can't wait to see what his 2017 brings.

• Like 1

I would like to see him move into the midfield. I think that is his position and he will flourish with a greater workload and responsibility.

• Like 1

Seems to blow up a bit, but with 50 games now under his belt hopefully another season will see him be able to expand on just being a HHF, I think he's got potential to be thrown close to the midfield, maybe not in and under but could provide some run and will remain a goal kicker in that role. The issue is he seems to only have 2 or 3 repeat runs in him then he goes quiet for a while. Would love him to average another 2 or 3 touches a game plus another tackle or 2, he's got some penetration on his kicks plus is a bigger body so hurts those he gets a hold of. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Left Foot Snap said:

I would like to see him move into the midfield. I think that is his position and he will flourish with a greater workload and responsibility.

Whilst I'd rather keep him on the half forward line, a spell in the midfield (inside) might not be a bad thing for him to work on his defensive pressure and to get him tuned into the contest (a la Watts going into the ruck)

Some fairly negative comments in here so far.

Personally I find him to be a barometer for the side  and a very valuable asset in the forward half.

The type of player we haven't had for a long time

Thrilled we were able to re-sign him earlier in the year. Very handy player to have in the forward 50. Saying that, I would love to see him push up the ground more where he can apply his speed more. 

But 25 goals in 20 games coming from a player who missed the majority of 2015 with a hamstring injury is a welcome return. Like most of our players, he'll only get better.

2017 will be huge for him. I like many still think there is some room for growth with Kent.

If he takes another step forward he could be big for us. If he doesn't then he will struggle to keep his spot by the end of 2017.

I think he could be a very handy player for us.

he's a massively important player as he's one of few run-and-carry players that we have, and when he's really firing he can be damaging on the scoreboard and defensively.

i'm hoping eventually he can go into the midfield and really become a rotational forward / mid player, because at the moment he clearly doesn't have the stamina to do it.

he could be a crucial player for us to rise in coming years i think.

On 08/10/2016 at 1:09 AM, Demon Jack said:

Thrilled we were able to re-sign him earlier in the year. Very handy player to have in the forward 50. Saying that, I would love to see him push up the ground more where he can apply his speed more. 

But 25 goals in 20 games coming from a player who missed the majority of 2015 with a hamstring injury is a welcome return. Like most of our players, he'll only get better.

This, another one that hasn't managed a full pre season yet

Yep, great and an asset when he is on song. His form is extremely variable though, and when he is not firing he can be a total passenger. I am inclined to think that a full preseason might really make the difference for Kent and if he can play his best footy reliable he will be huge for us, not just for goals but for pressure acts as well.

Agree about the thoughts of Kent being added to our midfield rotation. He is a burst player, strong through the core, long kick and does provide defensive pressure. With Kent, Petracca, Brayshaw, Vince rotating through the forward/midfield, it allow for our mids to rest more and hopefully give them more rest and ability to run through games at a higher level. 

• 1 month later...

Plenty for Kent to work on over pre-season. Agree with those who say that he is prone to a few too many quiet patches during games. His upside is massive though.

Hopefully we see more of this in 2017.

Love his niggle

An annoying smart alec rub your nose in your defensive error type that speaks to change in the attitude at the club

On 10/9/2016 at 3:25 PM, FlashInThePan said:

Yep, great and an asset when he is on song. His form is extremely variable though, and when he is not firing he can be a total passenger. I am inclined to think that a full preseason might really make the difference for Kent and if he can play his best footy reliable he will be huge for us, not just for goals but for pressure acts as well.

He could face  competition for his spot from either of the two Smiths particularly Tim.

2 minutes ago, jackaub said:

He could face  competition for his spot from either of the two Smiths particularly Tim.

Yeah, this can only be good. I don't think anyone is going to get the chance to find form in the 1s next year. If they drop off there will be someone waiting to take their spot in the 22. They are going to have to find form at Casey and earn their way back in... exciting times!

• Like 1

On 07/10/2016 at 10:01 AM, Wrecker45 said:

Think his biggest weakness is his overhead marking.

Actually, I think his biggest weakness is his lack of a "right foot". I'm pleased to see from recent training reports that there seems to be an effort to improve kicking for all players on their "wrong" side. 

• Like 1

The highlights package shows just how good his best is: some fantastic, inspiring moves and his pace can be electrifying. 

IF he can gain some consistency could well be the A grader we so desperately want and need