FA & Trade Whispers

Dee-licious

1 hour ago, Hell Bent said:

How about a straight swap Ollie wines for Jimmy Toumpas, should get it done.......aaah sheesh, hang on

I've read some silly things on Demonland, but honestly. Toumpas was pick 4 while Wines was taken later. Clearly PA will have to throw in another player to get that deal done.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, pineapple dee said:

Let's not suggest getting rid of Tyson. He is every bit as important to our structure and our future as is Brayshaw or Petracca. I also think he's a bit better than B+

Context is important: Topic was a mega deal for Isaac Heeney and Hogan, Viney, Gawn, Petracca and Oliver being off limits. Who does that leave?  Brayshaw, Salem & Tyson as potential 'players' needed to get a 'mega deal' done. Just my view, i'm not shopping Tyson around for fun.

Edited by DominatrixTyson
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, poita said:

Hopefully the delay in the Hibberd deal being done is that we have decided we can do much better for a second round pick, therefore Essendon can accept a third round pick for Hibberd if they are desperate to get his salary off the books, or we can find a better deal for our second round pick.

As an aside, I spoke to a Hawthorn supporter today who told me:

a) O'Meara signed 12 months ago, and Hawthorn suggested that he stopped playing after a couple of NEAFL games this season.

b) The Vickery deal is heavily performance based, and the base component wouldn't have been enough to have triggered a second round compo pick for Richmond. (And I see separately that there are issues surrounding the length of that deal).

c) We are interested in Grant Birchall.

Would be all over Birchall, but can't see the Hawks giving him up unless they plan on changing their defensive game style quite a bit. He is vital to their defensive make up.

37 minutes ago, Redleg said:

This could sound silly, but even though he is a 4 x premiership player, he will be 31 at start of season and is obviously slowing down. Saw players running away from him with the ball and he could only jog after them.

I am not a fan of recruiting 31 year old players who are slowing down and are no chance of being there for our tilt at a flag. He has 1 maybe 2 years left.

Lewis a big no for me.

I'd usually agree with the remaining sentiment in your post, Red, but our major deficiency season 2016 showed me was our experience. And that's talented experience. Lewis is that. He may be slowing down, but imagine Oliver, Petracca, Brayshaw and Tyson learning off him for a season.

30 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Bingo to both and I completely agree....but, still not sure - like to try JKH in there....one more time?

IMO, JKH doesn't have enough tools to make it at AFL level, but each to their own, mate. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kurtneverdied said:

Jordan Lewis to Dees rumour gathering more legs from what I hear...

This may be what's been keeping things quiet 'ish on the home front ?

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

What players that are being thrown around do we actually need?

Alright, a further back up for Max would be handy, but I'd rather us not chase an injury prone Vardy or someone who simply isn't up to it.  We'll get Hibberd, but then what else do we need?  Did we really need a Mayne or a Wells?  Mitchell was always interested in the Hawks, while Rockliff does nothing for me in the slightest in terms of what he will bring to the club off the field.

I understand people want to see stuff done, but think it through first.  With our young list and the improvement to come there isn't much we need to do at this stage.  Having one quiet trade period is not the end of the world.

There is not much to think through, Re culture or player types.  Because we are too distant to have enough facts about individuals to think through.  This is Demon fantasy time of year, & to have fun, in lieu of the seasons past & future.

So you may want to Rethink through your assumptions on Rockliff & other posters, unless you know all the background of Rockies issues?

1 hour ago, Norm Smith's Curse said:

Hawthorn pages reporting we are into Jordan Lewis! Watch this space but it makes no sense.

Yes it does, a fully fledged Finals player & multiple premierships winning player..  it makes every sense in the AFL world.

Winning Finals/Premierships experience, & he has that  "attitude",  that makes teammates stand up.

it is what we as a club lack from our past to present... that atti-tude to take it on, & win... that inner fire that keeps getting quenched at Mfc.    young Jack V has brought some from his time at Hawthorne land.

keep those fires burning.

2 minutes ago, DV8 said:

Winning Finals/Premierships experience, & he has that  "attitude",  that makes teammates stand up.

it is what we as a club lack from our past to present... that atti-tude to take it on, & win... that inner fire that keeps getting quenched at Mfc.    young Jack V has brought some from his time at Hawthorne land.

keep those fires burning.

We've also needed another thug assassin ever since Marcus Seecamp retired

Edited by DominatrixTyson

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Hawthorn have apparently straight out denied the Lewis rumours.

Given how open they were about Mitchell you'd take them on their word with that.

Peter Ryan suggesting it had some legs but it's looking unlikely now, i suspect due to Mitchell going, sounds like they thought it'd be one or the other that left

I know Hawks have a knack to get deals done but even they can't manage a deal on Lewis with the Dee's with Mahoney so tied up and busy with make or break deals like what pick to give up for Hibbered. 12 months worth of planning has gone into this decision so he must get it right!

Coming to the end of week 1, it is gonna be tight to get this over the line.

Edited by olisik

2 minutes ago, olisik said:

I know Hawks have a knack to get deals done but even they can't manage a deal on Lewis with the Dee's with Mahoney so tied up and busy with make or break deals like what pick to give up for Hibbered. 12 months worth of planning has gone into this decision so he must get it right!

facepalm.jpg

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, olisik said:

He did alright last year when he netted us pick 3 and 7 and got us two extremely good young players that will both be huge for the club going forward, reckon you didn't predict that one so maybe you should hold your uninformed comments until you actually see how things pan out. 

for the record it would be 100% fine if the only deal done was the Hibberd one, much better than recruiting some NQR's just for the sake of feeling a part of it. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, olisik said:

A shocker during the season, and you're even worse off it.  Seriously, that takes some sort of talent.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, olisik said:

Didn't you complain about this last year only to backflip when we got picks 4 and 7 in the draft?

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, olisik said:

Give it a rest!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Redleg said:

Not so sure.

They are desperate to get him and his $800k out of the salary cap. They are interested in Dunn, that could be one component. Next year's second pick or something we get for something or somebody, could be another component, pick swapping could be another.

IF we want him he is gettable.

They would have to back Goody, McCartney, Egan, Viney and Jones to ensure buy in.

He is not just a mid who can rack up multiple possies, he is also a good contested mark and goal kicker. In our side with all the new talent, he could be a great addition.

Well, if we can get it done for a second rounder plus Dunn, I will personally forge all the relevant signatures. Would be an absolute steal.

17 minutes ago, olisik said:

Oh my God, have we got anyone yet?

Please hurry up and get someone, please.

24 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Dodged a bullet. Lewis is nearing the end. Plays well one week, struggles to do anything the next. 

Should fit right in

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stuie said:
ONE OUT OF LEFT FIELD

This one started with a mention on the 3AW Rumour File on Monday morning, and it won't go away.

It involves another veteran Hawthorn midfielder, Jordan Lewis, heading to Melbourne.

There is a growing belief that the Hawks aren't finished with what is shaping as a major off-season makeover. Sam Mitchell is likely on his way out and if Lewis was to go as well, the Hawks would have a plenty of salary cap room to move because Lewis is entering the final season of his contract.

Lewis would add some grunt and real leadership to Melbourne, which is on the cusp of making the finals. They're not too dissimilar to the Western Bulldogs of two years ago.

One key reason why it probably won't happen is that Lewis shapes as the next captain of Hawthorn, perhaps as soon as next year. And he finished second in Hawthorn's best and fairest this year. Mitchell, by the way, finished first.

It is probably a bridge too far to suggest the Hawks would trade their two best players of 2016, but this is a club that leaves no stone unturned in its quest to get better. And if the Hawks are to contend next year, they'll need to be younger and quicker, just like the Bulldogs and GWS.

An interesting six days await. 

(AFL Trade Update Page)

I don't think its next year that Alistair is looking toward or hoping to contend for, but 2018 & on.

GWS has worried some power clubs with their rise & form.

Both the Cats & Hawks have bitten the bullet, in order to reshape themselves looking forward, to try to match it with the Giants.

I think the Hawks will fall a tad next year, with all the changes.