FA & Trade Whispers

Dee-licious

Vickey: a restricted free agent, the former top 10 draft pick has told Richmond he has a two-year contract offer from Hawthorn and wants to move there. Richmond now have three days to either match Hawthorn's offer – in which case Hawthorn would need to trade for Vickery to get him – or decline to match the offer and Vickery becomes a Hawk.

interesting that it's only two years. Will reduce compo - hopefully tigers match forcing Hawks to trade.

5 hours ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

Curious, the in-club (Matt Burgan) interview with 'Shifter' Sheehan, on the club's site, about the good/several draft prospects that might be available to us at 26 (sic. Now 27).

No mention of Hibberd/trading.

Stuff-up? Tactic? Insight?

Shifter Sheahan is deluded.

Gallucci and Florent will be drafted at 15-20.  

Anyway Hibberd trade takes away MFC pick 26.

17 minutes ago, McQueen said:

Our third for Hibberd.

Fug Essendon.

Exactly. ...26 is too high for a player who hasnt played for 12mths and lets be honest, before we heard about possible trade, not many people would admit to remembering him or watnot buttttttttttt now he is this gun halfback??

3rd Rounder.. Simple and lucky to even get that.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Shifter Sheahan is deluded.

Gallucci and Florent will be drafted at 15-20.  

Anyway Hibberd trade takes away MFC pick 26.

I had the same kind of thoughts.

I remember poring over all the profiles and phantom drafts and wondering what might be useful and suitable for us, and thinking 'there seems to be a lot of options right near the end of the first round, shame we're only at 26'. Hibberd is probably better than anything likely to happen at 26, so I'm ok with that, but it does sound a lot like we're thinking about acquiring a pick in that late teens/early 20s range.

A bit of fun GWS academy rorting maybe?

4 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

Tippett played some great footy before he was injured and some terrible footy when he came back.  I read on BF (yes I know) that he was the focus of some post-GF discontent in the Swans rooms because he had moved on too quickly, so it may not be a rose garden there.

He's a tough one for the Swans.  He's got 2 more years on big $s (800k?) and he turns 30 in May.  To get him to move a WA club would need to offer him 2 more years i.e 4 years, or why move across the country?  

to play with a team that like him?

On 04/10/2016 at 9:38 PM, willmoy said:

Weideman's grandfather was a mean bugger on the ball later on in his career, wonder if it could rub off?

Weideman is a long way from being physically ready (if ever) to do forward / ruck back up duties.  I would be shocked if he was thrown into the ruck, at least at AFL, next year.   Later on........maybe?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Why didn't he just come home at the end of last year instead of signing a fresh contract? It'd be good if this was true though as he has a combo of good pace and mongrel.

Because he felt he owed the club for giving him a chance 

• Like 1

Just thinking out loud - GC have a bevy 1st rounders that they're looking to do things with. One of those things needs to be to postpone one to next year to spread. Our next year first for one of their this years first rds would absolutely perfect

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, jako13 said:

Just thinking out loud - GC have a bevy 1st rounders that they're looking to do things with. One of those things needs to be to postpone one to next year to spread. Our next year first for one of their this years first rds would absolutely perfect

Are you a GCS supporter?

I can see where you're going with this but ultimately it leaves the MFC in much the same position next year whilst assisting the Suns spread their early choices.

Considering we basically did exactly what you've suggested with them last year to help us net Weideman, I can't see much, if any merit in reproducing a similar transaction unless of course we're chasing a specific need and/or player in the top 10.

Edited by McQueen
  • Like 1

The issue is Mcqueen our first is likely to be in the 3rd round given that hibberd is most likely going to cost our 2nd. Really we've got no currency to get back in earlier without trading out required players. They have a surplus of them and are likely to get more - we can get back in this year if we do it again. Don't really care about them other than being in a position to help us out or you wait till next years crop for the our first rounder likely to be around the 10 to 15 mark - (hopefully 18!!!)

Edited by jako13

3 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

IMO nowhere in that article Taylor implies our 1st pick will be live in the draft.  Please quote where you think he says this.

He didn't, 55. My only point was that now two articles on the club's website discuss our current top pick in terms wider than its use for Hibberd, leading me only to ask what this might mean, and then leading me to speculate that this year's trade period may unfold something like last year, i.e. with a better cluster of 'early' picks than we now have (albeit further down the ladder this year!) The opening sentence in the Taylor article says "...Jason Taylor says the club is keeping an open mind with its opening selection in this year’s NAB AFL Draft, ahead of the trade and draft period." You're correct to call me on "will" in my post; I should have said "may", though in my defence I hope "implies" diluted the (unintentional) certainty.

S'orright?:huh:

• Like 1

On 6 October 2016 at 8:10 PM, DeeSpencer said:

I'm talking back up rucks. Most are 200cm+ these days. Spencer and Gawn worked together once and they haven't tried it again because Spencer up forward is about as useful as picking someone out of the crowd.

I nearly got a call up that day, sitting in the crowd, except for three factors - I'd had a couple of beers, I wasn't wearing my Guernsey and I'm smaller than JKH. 

(Oh, and I can't kick more than 25m on my left)

53 minutes ago, McQueen said:

Are you a GCS supporter?

I can see where you're going with this but ultimately it leaves the MFC in much the same position next year whilst assisting the Suns spread their early choices.

Considering we basically did exactly what you've suggested with them last year to help us net Weideman, I can't see much, if any merit in reproducing a similar transaction unless of course we're chasing a specific need and/or player in the top 10.

I like this strategy - forward loading picks makes us a true destination club quicker, it gets a core team to the point of top 4/deep into finals quicker. If we missed out on a first round pick in two years time rather than this year, I think we'd be a stronger club for it (presuming draft strength is similar year on year)

40 minutes ago, jako13 said:

The issue is Mcqueen our first is likely to be in the 3rd round given that hibberd is most likely going to cost our 2nd. Really we've got no currency to get back in earlier without trading out required players. They have a surplus of them and are likely to get more - we can get back in this year if we do it again. Don't really care about them other than being in a position to help us out or you wait till next years crop for the our first rounder likely to be around the 10 to 15 mark - (hopefully 18!!!)

I reckon their list management guys are earning their money this trade/draft period. They have picks 4, 8, 22, 23, 25 and 28 (six picks in the top 30) and without taking into account what they're asking for in return of O'Meara and Prestia. Like you said, they've got plenty to work with.

Richmond may have to cough up pick 6 at least but the Hawks will be the most interesting trying to secure both Jaeger and Mitchell from the Swans.

I think several clubs will have to get in amongst all of that and help broker a deal to get anything done.

It may well be us.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, McQueen said:

I reckon their list management guys are earning their money this trade/draft period. They have picks 4, 8, 22, 23, 25 and 28 (six picks in the top 30) and without taking into account what they're asking for in return of O'Meara and Prestia. Like you said, they've got plenty to work with.

Richmond may have to cough up pick 6 at least but the Hawks will be the most interesting trying to secure both Jaeger and Mitchell from the Swans.

I think several clubs will have to get in amongst all of that and help broker a deal to get anything done.

It may well be us.

It's been said that this year's draft is fairly even, with no real stand out no.1. If we back ourselves to make finals next year, I'd consider trading next years 1st rounder (say pick 10) for picks 23, 25 and 28. It would give us 4 picks in the top 30 with 1 being used for Hibberd. We could use another to get someone like Steele from GWS, or be part of a larger trade (excluding GC) that could flush out a player we could use.

11 hours ago, Pates said:

Is it me or apart of Hibberd, does it sounds like we're going to have a very quite trade/FA period?

Is it a case of we're comfortable with what we have available? I feel like we're still lacking in a bit of outside run and that's something we should be targeting. 

It might sound like it, but I reckon we'll do a deal or two. Mahoney always plays his cards close to his chest. He's a good operator.

Edited by A F
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, ChaserJ said:

Sydney are having list management problems themselves, with the combination of COLA discontinuation and Buddy and Tippett contracts giving them headaches.  Looks like they'll lose Mitchell this year and Zak Jones and Heeney two who are yet to be extended beyond the end of next year. 

The 3AW rumour file claimed the other day that there was infighting in the Sydney rooms after the Grand Final. Apparently Hannebery clocked Tippett. Also heard this from another source. If the Swans can manage it, they'll try and offload Tippett. Purely speculating here, but if I were them and I was looking to get rid of him, I'd agree to pay say $200k-$300k of his remaining salary and add the money saved onto Mitchell's contract.

Whether anyone wants to take Tippett off their hands is another thing...

9 hours ago, DeeZee said:

Zachary Jones will come back to Melbourne to play with his brother once his contract is finished, if the planets align.

Meh.

8 hours ago, It's Time said:

I spoke to someone deep in the inner sanctum about this and he said it was complete [censored] and couldn't believe how crap like that could even get put out there.

Doesn't alter the rest of what you've said. 

Whether you believe it or not, I've got a pretty good source who said it did happen.

4 minutes ago, A F said:

It might sound like it, but I reckon we'll do a deal or two Mahoney always plays his cards close to his chest. He's a good operator.

Yup, u agree, i think we'll be keen to upgrade pick 44 into a second rounder if we can, maybe 44 and one of Dawes/Garland/Dunn if they attract any interest for a pick between 28-33

Jay Kennedy-Harris and Alex Neal-Bullen might both feel they'd be a better chance of playing at AFL level with a different side, despite both being contracted i reckon they'll be shopped around. 

I'm of the opinion that next years draft crop will be of a much higher standard than this years so personally i'd be really keen to retain our 2017 first round pick unless an amazing deal came along. 

I'd also be keeping an eye on developments with Tom Mitchell, if he leaves it's for money, the Swans are according to AFLcom only able to afford 320k a year and i reckon he's worth a bit more than that, the Hawks are going to find it really tough to get the trades done, so perhaps our 2017 pick might appeal to the Swans, i think the other big factor in his decision making is playing in a team that's going to feature in the pointy end of finals, and i reckon Hawks will slide regardless of Vickery, O'meara and or Mitchell.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Abe said:

Yup, u agree, i think we'll be keen to upgrade pick 44 into a second rounder if we can, maybe 44 and one of Dawes/Garland/Dunn if they attract any interest for a pick between 28-33

Jay Kennedy-Harris and Alex Neal-Bullen might both feel they'd be a better chance of playing at AFL level with a different side, despite both being contracted i reckon they'll be shopped around. 

I'm of the opinion that next years draft crop will be of a much higher standard than this years so personally i'd be really keen to retain our 2017 first round pick unless an amazing deal came along. 

I'd also be keeping an eye on developments with Tom Mitchell, if he leaves it's for money, the Swans are according to AFLcom only able to afford 320k a year and i reckon he's worth a bit more than that, the Hawks are going to find it really tough to get the trades done, so perhaps our 2017 pick might appeal to the Swans, i think the other big factor in his decision making is playing in a team that's going to feature in the pointy end of finals, and i reckon Hawks will slide regardless of Vickery, O'meara and or Mitchell.

Agree with all of that too, mate.

Belatedly, yesterday's trade radio highlights. I can't see how it's possible for Rockliff to kiss and make up with Brisbane after the way he's been carrying on. Should we go after him?

• Tyrone Vickery has become the first player to make an official move this off-season, after Hawthorn tabled a free agency offer for the Richmond ruckman. The Hawks offered Vickery a two-year deal, with the Tigers having three days to match the offer.

• Adelaide veteran Scott Thompson will play on for a 17th season after signing a new deal with the Crows for 2017. Thompson will also make a transition into coaching as part of the one-year extension, taking on more unofficial coaching duties, as well as a playing role. 

• Western Bulldogs midfielder Lin Jong has ended trade speculation by signing a new two-year deal with the premiers. Jong had been heavily linked to a trade this off-season, but decided to stick with the Bulldogs, despite heavy interest from the Gold Coast Suns.

• The future of Sydney midfielder Tom Mitchell will become clearer by Monday, with the 23-year-old set to meet management this weekend. His manager Phil Mullen told NAB AFL Trade Radio today that Mitchell was yet to make a decision, but would know by Monday as to whether he would seek a trade, most likely to Hawthorn.

• The future of Brisbane captain Tom Rockliff still isn't clear, with the Lions today confirming they had yet to make a decision on his future at the club. Rockliff is set to meet with new coach Chris Fagan in the coming days, in a meeting which will prove pivotal to him remaining at the Gabba.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Elwood 3184 said:

Belatedly, yesterday's trade radio highlights. I can't see how it's possible for Rockliff to kiss and make up with Brisbane after the way he's been carrying on. Should we go after him?

• Tyrone Vickery has become the first player to make an official move this off-season, after Hawthorn tabled a free agency offer for the Richmond ruckman. The Hawks offered Vickery a two-year deal, with the Tigers having three days to match the offer.

• Adelaide veteran Scott Thompson will play on for a 17th season after signing a new deal with the Crows for 2017. Thompson will also make a transition into coaching as part of the one-year extension, taking on more unofficial coaching duties, as well as a playing role. 

• Western Bulldogs midfielder Lin Jong has ended trade speculation by signing a new two-year deal with the premiers. Jong had been heavily linked to a trade this off-season, but decided to stick with the Bulldogs, despite heavy interest from the Gold Coast Suns.

• The future of Sydney midfielder Tom Mitchell will become clearer by Monday, with the 23-year-old set to meet management this weekend. His manager Phil Mullen told NAB AFL Trade Radio today that Mitchell was yet to make a decision, but would know by Monday as to whether he would seek a trade, most likely to Hawthorn.

• The future of Brisbane captain Tom Rockliff still isn't clear, with the Lions today confirming they had yet to make a decision on his future at the club. Rockliff is set to meet with new coach Chris Fagan in the coming days, in a meeting which will prove pivotal to him remaining at the Gabba.

Rockliff, No.   He should leave & go to the Hawks as an in/under.. I think they could settle him down under Clark.

We on the other hand should take Mitchell out of the Hawks thinking. 

The Hawks really need Rockliff.

9 minutes ago, DV8 said:

Rockliff, No.   He should leave & go to the Hawks as an in/under.. I think they could settle him down under Clark.

We on the other hand should take Mitchell out of the Hawks thinking. 

The Hawks really need Rockliff.

Heheh. I see what you're doing there.

Hawks with Vickery and Rockliff would be hilarious. C-C-C-C-Culture breaker!

We can only hope that the Dogs go cold on Cloke and he also ends up at the Hawks.

• Like 3