MadAsHell

On 8 September 2016 at 10:00 AM, rjay said:

...but the question I have is this. Because a player has played 300+ games and is over 30yo, does that mean they are a leader?

If they've repeatedly been in their clubs leadership group, then I'd say yes, more then likely.

St Kilda leadership group 2009-2013

North Melbourne 2014 & 2015.

33 minutes ago, AngryAtCasey said:

If they've repeatedly been in their clubs leadership group, then I'd say yes, more then likely.

That's a lot of finals leadership experience. 2 grand finals and 4 preliminary finals 

Edited by johndemonic
  • Like 4

On 8 September 2016 at 10:00 AM, rjay said:

...but the question I have is this. Because a player has played 300+ games and is over 30yo, does that mean they are a leader?

I think it's not so much leadership that he would provide (we actually have young leadership in spades), but he would provide experience. Which is also an important ingredient.

• Like 1

On 8 September 2016 at 1:12 PM, AngryAtCasey said:

On 8 September 2016 at 1:42 PM, johndemonic said:

That's a lot of finals leadership experience. 2 grand finals and 4 preliminary finals 

That to me says he has good leadership ability, regardless of LG inclusion in 2016. 

If we had a choice, which 30+ player would be best fit for us? Dal, Thompson or Wells?

13 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Played well again.

I thought he played okay but he didn't set the world alight. That said I think he has something to offer.

Left field idea... why not take both Dal Santo and Harvey on 1+1 deals ........ we are so bereft of senior talent that they cannot help but balance the list. You could even manage the two of them game number wise to maximise their combined input.

To those who say they are list cloggers..... I cannot see who they are keeping out and it is only for one possibly two years.

We need to do something to get us out of the clubs around 6-12.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

I thought he played okay but he didn't set the world alight. That said I think he has something to offer.

Left field idea... why not take both Dal Santo and Harvey on 1+1 deals ........ we are so bereft of senior talent that they cannot help but balance the list. You could even manage the two of them game number wise to maximise their combined input.

To those who say they are list cloggers..... I cannot see who they are keeping out and it is only for one possibly two years.

It could actually have another effect, suggesting to our second level mids, that we have no faith in them.

Guys like ANB, JKH and Ben K should be told they need to step up and we will play them. Guys like Hunt, Salem, Kent, Billy and VDB should be given some time in the middle to try them out.

It is harder to do if you bring in a NDS for one year.

On the other hand, key forwards would love to see a NDS heading for them, with the ball in hand.

• Like 1

If we think that NDS or Thompson really have a coaching future then there's a good case to get them in for a one year contract as DFA.  It's low cost and we should be able to create the list space.

2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

one maybe, definitely not two. my pick if it came to it would be nds

Ok I will be the devils advocate, we get Dal Santo and we want him to play a year, using the vernacular used on here, whose spot does he take

Midfield 3 or them were in top five of B&F, Oliver, Petracca, Trengove, BenKen, Bugg, Kent, Harmes, ANB

Half back, Salem, Hibberd, Melksham, Hunt, Wagner, Lumumba, Vince, Jones

I can't see a place for him

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Ok I will be the devils advocate, we get Dal Santo and we want him to play a year, using the vernacular used on here, whose spot does he take

Midfield 3 or them were in top five of B&F, Oliver, Petracca, Trengove, BenKen, Bugg, Kent, Harmes, ANB

Matt Jones played 10 games on the wing. I'd rather give those 10 games and the spot on the list to NDS. If 2-3 of Stretch, Bugg, Harmes (Trengove, Ben Ken or ANB) out play him and take all those games then good luck to them.

I doubt he'd play half back, Hibberd and Melksham hopefully give us more speed and defensive ability than he would so we can continue a more aggressive defensive system. But to have a wingmen with Dal Santo's class to fold back and help the defenders rebound the ball would be a big help.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

ANB couldn't hold in his place in an underperforming midfield. Trengrove might come good. Bugg .... who knows.

Lumumba ??

Is that enough spots?

• Like 4

Is this the chap that exposed himself on the internet?

Those are the leadership skills we must be seeking.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Matt Jones played 10 games on the wing. I'd rather give those 10 games and the spot on the list to NDS. If 2-3 of Stretch, Bugg, Harmes (Trengove, Ben Ken or ANB) out play him and take all those games then good luck to them.

I doubt he'd play half back, Hibberd and Melksham hopefully give us more speed and defensive ability than he would so we can continue a more aggressive defensive system. But to have a wingmen with Dal Santo's class to fold back and help the defenders rebound the ball would be a big help.

The one knock on him I have he only folds back and is on the loose, he has always looked good where there are other guys in the engine room, don't think we will be recruiting this type of player any more, only players who can get their own ball

Whilst he isnt at the peak of his game anymore he would be an upgrade on Matt Jones, Grimes, Lamumba, Newton, Michie, JKH in the midfield rotation. I wouldn't be against it as there are also probably going to be further senior players moving on such as Dawes, Grimes & Terlich etc etc. He'd definitely be an upgrade on most of those players I've mentioned in terms of a list spot so what do we really have to lose if its a one year contract? I think he'd improve our list & that's what we have to try & do. Whether he plays all 22 games ahead of some of the younger guys coming through it's debatable. We don't want to fall into the trap of just gifting young players games for the sake of it, they should be made to earn their spot through good performances & then given the opportunity. A lot of the fringe players when brought into the side this year in my opinion were pretty disappointing & I doubt if some of them will make the grade at AFL level. Players like Matt Jones, Michie & Newton fall into this category & are often the weakest link, so NDS would be an upgrade on them for mine. We need to target free agency as we won't get much topline talent through the draft this year & we already have a young list.

22 minutes ago, Biffen said:

Is this the chap that exposed himself on the internet?

Those are the leadership skills we must be seeking.

I thought internet exposure was a good thing...it may increase members or help us rise up the ladder. Oh! I see ...he 'exposed' himself. My mistake. 

I guess the real question to weigh up is How much has he bought to Norf? Best 22, sure. Didn't get any deeper into the finals and restricted junior development. Will bring experience. Leadership? I'm not opposed too it, but, I have reservations. 

15 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

The one knock on him I have he only folds back and is on the loose, he has always looked good where there are other guys in the engine room, don't think we will be recruiting this type of player any more, only players who can get their own ball

I think he tackles and competes well enough, yes it's not his strength, but if he's playing on the wing it doesn't have to be. It's on Tyson, Viney, Oliver, N Jones, Brayshaw etc to get the ball to him. My concern is pace and endurance. 

Dal Santo would still be a far better ball user than Bugg and Harmes and I don't care about the difference in hardness, but I do care if he can't run to nearly the same level.