• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION - Round 20

Demonland

8 hours ago, mdemon said:

Given the accepted inevitability regarding the result, is this a good week to decisively 'rest' the younger guys who have started to look a bit fatigued (Hunt, Harmes, Hogan, Wagner, OMac, Brayshaw, Pettacca, Stretch) regardless of current form and replace them with the 'old hands' (Trengove, BKen, Grimes, Michie, Newton, Pedersen, Garland, Dunn) so that they can have one last crack at defeating Goliath?

Sure, they will predictably fail but then we can replace them with the younger, freshened up, guys to have a red hot go against Port at Adelaide Oval (where, for some inexplicable reason, we seem to go OK).

I like some your thinking, but don't think we can go quite so wholesale on those you are proposing to leave out, as we should still be trying to win this game.  Still need to select on form, fittness and team ballance.  We need Hunt too much for his line breaking ability and Harmes is exactly the sort of player we need against Hawthorn (did you see his effort running back against the flight in the second quarter last week?).  Wagner's form has been well down over the past month at least I recon and he'd be one I would look to relegate.

Do rest Hogan (no point in flogging him injured) and bring in one of Pedison or Dunn (does No.14 proud) to play as a human wrecking ball at full forward.  I'd also consider playing Spencer to play CHF changing in the ruck to give big Max a bit more of a break (if anyone needs a rest it's him) and he's genuinely dangerous up forward as can be Spencer at times.  Dawes could be chopped, or if he's not, he at least needs to find some moungrle - has been playing like a proverbial 'big girl' for someone of his physical stature (no slight on or women's team intended).

I've already mentioned Grimes and Clarry as ins previous posts, but Ben Ken is another angry little man I think we should seriously consider.  Gus and Track must remain in the side.  I'd use Gus to tag team with Bernie and hassle the crap out of Hodge all day.  Garlett is another one that could be in the firing line based on form, though I'd still have some reluctantance in dropping him.

Beyond all that, I think the side in general should be given the instruction to be hard, physical, hunt and hurt Hawthorn.  For a side that's pushed us and many others around over the years, they really didn't like it when we gave them a bit of niggle in our first game against them this year.  Ture Demons supporter should show up and be vocal too, showing the likes of J.Dunstall that we are not all snow bunny yuppies!!

11 hours ago, Mickey said:

Clarry Choo Choo!!

The thing I like most about what his numbers showed about his performance, was that in a game where Casey clearly dominated and he could have stood back and collected lots of easy ball (like a few other seguls for us did), he was still in and under winning and effectly distributing the hard ball.  Don't think anything else is in his DNA.

11 hours ago, mdemon said:

Given the accepted inevitability regarding the result, is this a good week to decisively 'rest' the younger guys who have started to look a bit fatigued (Hunt, Harmes, Hogan, Wagner, OMac, Brayshaw, Pettacca, Stretch) regardless of current form and replace them with the 'old hands' (Trengove, BKen, Grimes, Michie, Newton, Pedersen, Garland, Dunn) so that they can have one last crack at defeating Goliath?

Sure, they will predictably fail but then we can replace them with the younger, freshened up, guys to have a red hot go against Port at Adelaide Oval (where, for some inexplicable reason, we seem to go OK).

I reckon Trengove and Grimes are unlikely to ever return to the AFL (in Melbourne colours). Reading the VFL player review pretty much confirms this.

Ben Kennedy: Ben had 40 possessions, including 16 contested possessions. He also had six effective tackles, eight inside 50s and kicked 1.2. Ben has been back at VFL level for the past two weeks and his attitude to compete and play the roles we’ve asked him to have been fantastic. He’s a player that really led by example from contest to contest. He won critical ball and brought teammates into play with his hands and creativity. It was another impressive performance and if an opportunity presents, he’s going to be around the mark at AFL level.

Viv Michie: Viv had 31 possessions, including 27 uncontested, plus five inside 50s. He also kicked two goals. Viv’s had a fantastic month and continues to dominate the VFL. He’s a fantastic decision-maker and user of the ball, while he continues to create opportunities for us, when he gets the ball in his hands. He also finishes his work off well. His attention to detail is very good and he continues to play at a high level. He’s another one who is pushing for a call-up to the AFL.

Ben Newton: Ben had 34 possessions, including 27 uncontested, plus 11 marks, six tackles and eight inside 50s. There were some pretty impressive numbers there for him and it was the third week in a row that he’s been able to create a lot of opportunities. He’s been in the thick of having a big impact on games, and has been working really hard on his game, particularly his work around the ball. Benny played a number of different roles – half-back, wing and inside – so his flexibility to play several positions is something we really value from him. He’s another one who continues to impress and stake his claim for AFL selection.

Clayton Oliver: He was another one with big numbers, winning 37 disposals, including 22 contested. Clayton also had eight tackles and 11 clearances. The most pleasing thing about him on the weekend was his ability to really utilise every possession that he had. We’ve really challenged him over the past few weeks to make sure he uses every possession that he has. He was able to be really creative around the stoppages. Clayton’s a really hard player to play on, so it was his best performance by far at VFL level this year. He’s another player that pushes his name up for AFL selection.

Jack Grimes: Jack had 40 disposals, including 15 contested possessions. He also had four tackles and four clearances. Once again, Jack impressed at VFL level. His strength and size around the ball are the highlights for him. He played wing and inside mid. Jack has a great ability to win critical contests. To have the numbers that he did was a credit to himself because he worked very hard defensively and offensively. It was a good all-round performance and he got a lot of reward for effort.

Jack Trengove: Jack had 29 possessions, including seven contested. He also had 13 tackles, six clearances and kicked a goal. Jack continues to impress – he continually competes and cracks into the ball with his bigger body. The pleasing thing with Jack on the weekend was his tackling, which was a highlight. Off the back of missing so much football, he continues to play at a high standard. His leadership, organisation and direction on the ground has been a massive bonus for us as well.

2 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

The thing I like most about what his numbers showed about his performance, was that in a game where Casey clearly dominated and he could have stood back and collected lots of easy ball (like a few other seguls for us did), he was still in and under winning and effectly distributing the hard ball.  Don't think anything else is in his DNA.

I agree, and while I understand hard ball gets aren't Michie's and Newton's forte, I was still concerned that their big numbers were mainly uncontested, even with Plapp stating that newton played as an inside mid for parts of the game... He had 7 contested possessions. Michie had 4

Edited by Mickey
Checked stats

from the VFL report, you'd think Oliver, Pedo, Newton, Kennedy, Michie will be considered.  Weeds with an outside shot 

no defenders there so perhaps unlikely any defenders dropped.  

id expect Dawes, Garlett, Harmes to come out for Pedo, Newton, Oliver

willbe awesome to see Oliver, Brayshaw, Petracca play together for the first time.

10 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

They're like a big turd that won't flush.

The only solution is poking it with a wire coat hanger that's been slightly warped. Perhaps the players should arm themselves with coat hangers.

Perhaps I am a sad and pathetic soul but I live for  demonland gems such as this, that offer such wonderful insights into the human condition.

Thank you for sharing Ethan.

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Perhaps I am a sad and pathetic soul but I live for  demonland gems such as this, that offer such wonderful insights into the human condition.

The coat hanger is clearly not the only thing warped.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

from the VFL report, you'd think Oliver, Pedo, Newton, Kennedy, Michie will be considered.  Weeds with an outside shot 

no defenders there so perhaps unlikely any defenders dropped.  

id expect Dawes, Garlett, Harmes to come out for Pedo, Newton, Oliver

willbe awesome to see Oliver, Brayshaw, Petracca play together for the first time.

Michie has been playing on the HBF for the last 4 matches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Perhaps?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

I agree, and while I understand hard ball gets aren't Michie's and Newton's forte, I was still concerned that their big numbers were mainly uncontested, even with Plapp stating that newton played as an inside mid for parts of the game... He had 7 contested possessions. Michie had 4

Plapp seems to think they were pretty good. One of my queries on the MFC game plan is the number of times we have 3 or four in the contest but no one to take the ball when we get possession. Turnover territory. Not everyone can be a contested ball monster and both Newton and Michie were the outlets for many contest. Also Coburg were pretty ordinary on the weekend and only had 18 inside 50 for 3 quarters so not much in the way of contest in the back line.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mickey said:

Those numbers seem fine for the role played. Viv mopped up across half back. If he played on ball he would've had 15 contested touches, he's as good as any VFL midfielder at that role. Newton's pretty solid at the contest as well, and would've played wing and half back as well. I watched a bit of the replay at Coburg did ok at contested footy, they have a few solid body VFL types. It was the weight of numbers and overwhelming possessions that really undid them.

• Like 1

Swung by training for a little bit this morning. Fairly decent crowd of school kids in a couple of groups. Looked like an Indigenous school group who Nev and Jeff talked to after training and another group from which one kid slotted a goal and had a hug from a pumped up Wattsy.

No Hogan on track. No Spencer either I don't think. Mitch King and Lumumba the others missing. Everyone else including Max King was on deck.

Usual kind of drills divided in to different groups and focuses. Ball movement for the backs, slick hands for the mids, goal kicking for the forwards and mixed groups doing a range of things. 

A group designated for Casey did some extra ball movement drills at the end (presumably taking advantage of the longer break?) with a focus on spreading from a stoppage/contested area.

With the Casey group: Wagner, Matt Jones

With the senior group: Weideman, Oliver and I think Ben Newton.

So it wouldn't surprise me if it's: Weideman, Oliver, Newton in for Hogan, Matt Jones, Wagner

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Swung by training for a little bit this morning. Fairly decent crowd of school kids in a couple of groups. Looked like an Indigenous school group who Nev and Jeff talked to after training and another group from which one kid slotted a goal and had a hug from a pumped up Wattsy.

No Hogan on track. No Spencer either I don't think. Mitch King and Lumumba the others missing. Everyone else including Max King was on deck.

Usual kind of drills divided in to different groups and focuses. Ball movement for the backs, slick hands for the mids, goal kicking for the forwards and mixed groups doing a range of things. 

A group designated for Casey did some extra ball movement drills at the end (presumably taking advantage of the longer break?) with a focus on spreading from a stoppage/contested area.

With the Casey group: Wagner, Matt Jones

With the senior group: Weideman, Oliver and I think Ben Newton.

So it wouldn't surprise me if it's: Weideman, Oliver, Newton in for Hogan, Matt Jones, Newton

newton for newton seems an inspired move :lol:

Just now, daisycutter said:

newton for newton seems an inspired move :lol:

Juice out. Ben in.

By the way, just as I post this they announce the Weid will play and Oliver will as well.

Edited by DeeSpencer

3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Juice out. Ben in.

By the way, just as I post this they announce the Weid will play and Oliver will as well.

I had honestly forgotten about Newton until I saw him in the Casey game last week. As I said in that thread, he is the type of player that we need (outside player with decent skills), just need him to put it all together.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Those numbers seem fine for the role played. Viv mopped up across half back. If he played on ball he would've had 15 contested touches, he's as good as any VFL midfielder at that role. Newton's pretty solid at the contest as well, and would've played wing and half back as well. I watched a bit of the replay at Coburg did ok at contested footy, they have a few solid body VFL types. It was the weight of numbers and overwhelming possessions that really undid them.

Fair enough. My only concern is that these guys come in off the back of huge uncontested numbers, and then can't find the footy when playing seniors.