Sam MaClure- "Hibberd to Melbourne, 4 year deal"

9 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

if we give up a future first round draft pick for him as has been mooted i will scream bloody murder.

he's a good player, not a very good or even great one.

my preferences:

1) 2017 second round pick

2) 2017 first round for hibberd and essendon's 2016 and 2017 second round picks

next year is meant to be a far stronger draft than this year and we do NOT want to be miles out of it.

Our first round pick in ANY draft should be completely out of the question for Hibberd, but that's exactly what dodo will demand.

Give them nothing.

• Like 5

Slightly off topic, but I wonder if we keep the 2017 first rounder or look to trade it.  I know they are saying it's going to be a 'strong draft' but we already have the youngest list in the comp.  If we can use it to get in some quality talent in the 23-25 year old range then I'd be happy for us to trade it.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Our first round pick in ANY draft should be completely out of the question for Hibberd, but that's exactly what dodo will demand.

Give them nothing.

IF TMac decides to leave and worse he takes his brother too he's got us over a barrel with a broomstick in his hand.

Edited by america de cali

13 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

Not surprising, really.  I think we always had him in the bag, the challenge now is how we get him without Essendrug demanding three first round picks and Max Gawn as part of the trade.

You have me off to good start Wiseblood.

My smile will last till at least Midday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DemonAndrew said:

my preferences:

1) 2017 second round pick

2) 2017 first round for hibberd and essendon's 2016 and 2017 second round picks

That's just not going to get it done and is equally as obstructive to good trading as Dodoro's reputation.

2017 2nd round will hopefully be around 30ish, that's unrealistic.

2017 1st round (say 12ish) for Hibberd and Essendons 2016 2nd round (which is currently 19) would be a very good deal for us, no need for them to add their 2017 2nd.

13 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Pro: powerful running (but not super quick), long kicking midsized defender, strong in the air and solid one on one

Cons: Probably struggles with his weight at the best of times, will be interesting to see if he's in shape. 27 in Jan. At 186cm he probably doesn't solve our 3rd tall issues

They've got nothing on these highlights.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Abe said:

Biggest weakness is he has no right foot and teams target this in his game, but he can be extremely damaging if given time and space.

Bugger! that will make it hard for him to get up speed.

How does he avoid falling on his arse every time he kicks?
I am surprised he has made it to this level.

• Like 7

Hibberd won't cost a first round pick. A second should do it, if not maybe adding a swap of later round picks will hopefully be enough. Maybe slightly overpaying for Melksham was done with this in mind.

1 hour ago, faultydet said:

We'll get 3 years out of Hibberd , 4 at the most.
They can have our pick14 from the 2007 draft.
Maybe pick#2 from the 2009 draft at the most.

Edited by Fork 'em

Now that Hibberd is in the bag, I wouldn't be that surprised to see Hurley down the track. Small waves syndrome. Melbourne does not make big waves usually in the cess pool, so we just let things settle and move on to the next target..... Don't unduly stress the AFL. 

Wouldn't be upset to see Judd on our horizon either..... 

50 minutes ago, america de cali said:

IF TMac decides to leave and worse he takes his brother too he's got us over a barrel with a broomstick in his hand.

Sorry mate, but I'm confused.

How does this relate to a trade involving Hibberd, and what he is worth?

12 hours ago, Abe said:

Biggest weakness is he has no right foot and teams target this in his game, but he can be extremely damaging if given time and space.

We seem to be accumulating a lot of left footers a la hawthorn.....just sayin....

• Like 2

Our left footers are typical that the have no right foot but uncharacteristically aren't much good with the left either.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Fork 'em said:

Our left footers are typical that the have no right foot but uncharacteristically aren't much good with the left either.

I'd agree, with the exception of Salem.

• Like 2

Landing Hibberd and a Full back with runs on the board would be huge for us and should settle the backline group nicely.

Oscar McDonald and Frost may well turn out to be solid enough KP defenders but at this point in their careers, they're not going to give us the lift we need. They're not ready now and are only being played because Garland and Dunn are not. 

Not because they're the bees knees. 

Edited by stevethemanjordan

Dunn and Garland's days are limited, they have been good servants in a shocking decade for the club but they have there limitations and I reckon they may struggle to get a regular game at other clubs?

With O MacDonald, Jetta, Frost Melksham and hopefully Hibberd our backline all of a sudden looks a little bit more brighter plus hopefully the Signing of T MacDonald and 1 key position defender..... Hurley?

31 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I'd add Kent to the mix as well, especially over long distances. He isn't the most consistent, I'll admit that, but he can hit targets that are 50-60 metres away.

Kent is hit and miss he will hit someone lace out 4 out of 5 times but randomly spray one in the middle, he doesnt settle himself enough when he is running at full pace he kinda just runs and kicks. Im hoping it's just a composure thing that he will get better at over time. He can hit up a player inboard quite well, he has good lateral vision when he is running with the ball

• Like 2