POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 19

Demonland

1 hour ago, P-man said:

I'm spent after that tbh.

The non-HTB call at the death was absolutely extraordinary.

Could not agree more. It was staggering it wasn't paid. the umpire was right there. Incredible. Not far behind was not paying a free kick to Matt Jones for tripping in the last quarter. Three kicks to half time. Mind boggling.

My take on the game? It was woeful but it is amazing how much better it is to have won it and not lose it as i thought was going to be the case at the 27 minute mark. Jack Watts was brilliant in the last quarter and not just because of his match winning mark and goal. There was a contest on the half forward line where he refused to give up and went in for a second, third an fourth effort. Terrific. 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Emerald said:

Stretch reminded me of his dad today.

Me too .

Except he was dark skinned and shorter ,far better looking andhad baggier shorts but the surname and streaming down the wing at the G in the red and blue had me yelling 

Goooooooo Stretchhhhhhheeerrrrrr.

• Like 10

watts works so hard all over the ground makes space in forward line and the dumb [censored] like jones kick it to a crowd

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, binman said:

Could not agree more. It was staggering it wasn't paid. the umpire was right there. Incredible. Not far behind was not paying a free kick to Matt Jones for tripping in the last quarter. Three kicks to half time. Mind boggling.

My take on the game? It was woeful but it is amazing how much better it is to have won it and not lose it as i thought was going to be the case at the 27 minute mark. Jack Watts was brilliant in the last quarter and not just because of his match winning mark and goal. There was a contest on the half forward line where he refused to give up and went in for a second, third an fourth effort. Terrific. 

Vanders too refused to lose.

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

The players were happy they won, but they certainly didn't go overboard about it.  I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread that they overheard Petracca say "4 points is 4 points, boys", so it's clear they know that they were well below their best.

Cheers

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tappysquads said:

4 Points

Stretch really showing something, very creative

Watts a leader

Brayshaw best game for the year

Frost was our best key defender

Hunt!!!! Love the ball in his hands

Vanders could have had 6, best forward on the day

we are Melbourne supporters, got our 9th win for the season, how about a little positivity?

Umm eighth actually Tappy.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

I have moved from last year keep him at all costs to being neither here nor there on his potential departure. Has only had a handful of games this year that have delivered close to expectations. Lots of cheap ball at wing and half back to then hang onto it too long to turn it over or kick it to a contest. Cant recall the last time inside  50 where he gave multiple leads. 

No. Just no. Hogan is critical for the dees. We simply must keep him. It baffles me how any dees fan could think otherwise. 

• Like 3

Well id rather wake up tomorrow a melbourne supporter than a richmond one. 

Well I just went today thinking we would just win. Even in those dying moments I knew we'd find a way to win. 

But firstly Watts what a champion. Brilliant game and just stood up especially when he was needed at the end. Finally this season we have seen what he is supposed to become. 

Thought Tyson was good when other midfielders struggled. 

Vanders bobbed up with some nice goals

Harmes was ok and took a courageous mark. http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-07-31/courageous-dee-put-in-harmes-way

Anyway we have won our 8th game more than last year and wake up tomorrow reading about a win than a loss. 

• Like 1

I thought I'd come on here to see old dee, SWYL and beelzebub praising the performance because, as we all know from the last 8 days, all that matters is the 4 points. They should be ecstatic!

The rest of us should acknowledge that this was an appalling performance. Let down, yet again, by our leaders. Vince was truly awful today, he continually has games where he looks like he doesn't care and doesn't put the required effort into his kicking or handpassing. Viney, while younger of course, was terrible too. Just looking for easy handpasses out the back. N Jones had little influence, Dawes took a contested mark and had a defender running near him, but otherwise again a low impact performance.

Harmes is a liability in the side right now. Surely we have other players at Casey who can do better than him.

Our turn overs at half-forward are a disgrace. So many times we would telegraph a sideways kick and then execute it, allowing a GC player to intercept. Tyson's one in the third quarter was a perfect example. 

The positives are few, but include Watts, Stretch, OMac (that has to be his best game for the club yet?), Jetta and Gawn standing up when it mattered.

I'm confident, though, that we will do better next week as we always seem to back up our worst performances with better ones. We also won't be favourites.

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

We've all waited for Watts to have that special breakout game where he emphatically stamped himself on a game and would-be determined to win it. Just never thought it would be parceled up and wrapped in manure as today was.

We'll done Jack, you had very few real mates today, especially in the box.

As to most of the rest of you pathetic lot. Give the money back. 

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

We need to learn and play a very different kind of football.That was offensive to the eye.

I feel as a criminal taking the points.

You should be over the moon. 

The four points is all that matters, right? So why does it matter that it was "offensive to the eye"?

42 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Can someone smarter than me explain why we commenced the last quarter with Watts playing in defence. More so when Hogan was off ground.

I can only put it down to bad coaching.

After GC kicked their third goal to take the lead, I saw Watts screaming at the runner and pointing forward. I'm confident he was imploring the coaches to put him forward. 

An almost game-losing decision to put him back.

I remain less than impressed with our match-day coaching and hope for significant improvement in that regard in 2017.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, binman said:

Yes having just watched it again it was staggering, even the commentators were screaming for it. I was a bit worried 1 of the 4 Melbourne players on the mark for that last kick at goal was going to run over the mark as well.....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Josh Kelly looks very good.

Agree, but we weren't slaughtered in the deal, like Derwayne makes out. According to Derwayne, Kelly has a couple of Charlies in the bag and our two boys are just ok.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wiseblood said:

Is that the attitude that saw him running up and down the ground to get to position before his injury?

and spat the dummy when not kicked to him ,go to a game and watch how big a sook he is ,you dont see behind the play on tv

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

The Harmes in the seniors experiment is not working. 

Yes he butchered the ball today, not his first time either and that shows he really is best played as a half forward or forward pocket, if he is to be played. He does go hard at the ball though and can kick a goal.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, barneymfc said:

and spat the dummy when not kicked to him ,go to a game and watch how big a sook he is ,you dont see behind the play on tv

He was injured barney so we can excuse his bad game today.Merely playing as a dummy to take a tall backman ,of which they had too many.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We won ugly.

The game day thread will probably provide greater entertainment than the actual game did.

I refuse to look. Even I felt like having a big old sook about everything today, so I hate to think how the match day thread regulars went.

Just now, old dee said:

What do you probably?

All you've done for the last week is [censored] and moan about how performance is irrelevant and that the win is all that matters. Now you're pissing and moaning that the win is irrelevant, and that the performance is all that matters.

Do you just like being a whiny, boring person?

• Like 5

Just now, Nasher said:

I refuse to look. Even I felt like having a big old sook about everything today, so I hate to think how the match day thread regulars went.

Nasher, you should try it. Trust me you will feel great afterwards, second only to the great banter from Melbourne supporters in the crowd today.

• Like 1