• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 19

Demonland

3 minutes ago, Robot Devil said:

And what's with the umpire obviously coaching Lynch not to run off the mark for the shot after the siren.

Let him make the mistake. It's none of their business. 

Agree. I've noticed that in other games (unless of course it is a famous player who ha a 'natural arc").

And why are they continually shouting "don't hold".  They could shout out all the rules as well.  If anyone can explain to me how they decide who is at fault when 2 ruckmen are less than 1m apart, I expect they could explain the General Theory of Relativity as well.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

I can recall Harmes hitting two targets all day. The Harmes off half back experiment is too costly. His kicking and decision-making is disgusting. 

The irony of that contest where he got crunched was he did that exact same kick five minutes earlier and it resulted in a Gold Coast turnover and goal.

• Like 2

I've gone to 3 games this year, 2 of them were the Essendon debacle and this game. Ffs the amount of over possessing we did frustrated me to no end. Left with my dad with 5 mins to go as my temper was getting the better of me. [censored] this team can be so insipid. Now onto my positives and negatives.

Positives-

Watts

Omac

Harmes 

Tyson

Vandenberg

4 points

Negatives:

Everything else

4 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

The Harmes in the seniors experiment is not working. 

His kicking on the run is hurried.

He was ok today I thought.

Kent is the one who [censored] -up royally twice in the first half.

• Like 2

Watched the last half on TV. In the rooms when they sang the song, every one was looking up at their teammates except Hogan who stared at his feet the whole way through. Anyone see it? Probably disappointed about his game rather than anything else but a pretty bad look.

We need to sort the forward line out, it's generally overcrowded and impossible to spot up a player, there are usually more inside the 50 mtr arc that outside it.

Their forward line was open for most of the time today but when we had the ball they flooded back, like last week and we had to continually kick to a contest.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Franky_31 said:

Watched the last half on TV. In the rooms when they sang the song, every one was looking up at their teammates except Hogan who stared at his feet the whole way through. Anyone see it? Probably disappointed about his game rather than anything else but a pretty bad look.

He does that most weeks.

Kent would be a much more damaging footballer if he could learn to pick up the ball at pace, I loose count of how many times he overruns the ball.  Overall I think the point was well made that we've had two long trips in the last three weeks and for a young side we had heavy legs.  I know WA teams do this routinely, but I thought that not only the skills but the decision making was a result of tiredness.  We were off today.  Worst game I have seen Bernie play ever.

Edited by grazman
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, sue said:

A lot of people said if we didn't dominate in the midfield, the defence would be clobbered by the Sun's forwards.  So I guess the defence did OK.

I've been impressed with OMac's kicking, rarely misses a target. I wish he'd taught Tom when they were younger.

17 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

One of the worst games of football I have watched in a long time.

our ability to execute basic skills, even with no pressure, was unacceptable.  

We relied on individual efforts to bust us out of our stupidity all over the ground, for the whole game.

we looked slow and disinterested for 80% of the game.

our ability to enter 50 has to be the worst in the competition.  Over and over we would kick to a 3 on 1, or a Suns player by themselves.  Zero intellect applied to getting into a scoring position.

the game plan was there, we were too crap to execute it.

will take the 4 points, but couldn't sing the song.  Need a big turnaround or we will be smashed next week.

It is the game plan that worries me! It ensures no matter how many extra disposals we get, how many extra inside 50's we have, the scores will still be close, if we are lucky. This obsession with the corridor is killing us, it is too predictable and too difficult to execute and is high consequence if it fails. A number of times we switched play across half back then we had options loose up the line on the southern wing but the ball carrier is only looking inboard then kicks to a  50/50 contest in the centre so if it is turned over our goals are wide open. Why switch play if you are not wanting to create loose players to then use them?

34 minutes ago, Soidee said:

Apart from the 4 points, what a terrible day for supporters.  Perfect weather, no reason for such putrid decision and skills. 

Vince has put in some great games wearing the Jumper, but he also goes off the radar too much lately.  Was a very bad display of AFL football and frankly I am sick of the team over using the ball.  When are the coaches going to coach this out of them?

Absolute stinker of a game and really hope this team under Goodwin starts making the MCG our fortress.  Surely there are better options than Dawes....he totally stuffs up our forward structure.

Utter nonsense. He allows Watts to take the third forward. Why do you think Watts was able to outmark his opponent all day?

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

I'm still shaking after that one! I thought Tom Lynch would dob that goal.

I went to lunch with my wife and inlaws and only really got to see the second half. I was certain we would lose.

Positives:
* Jack Watts: journos have tried for years to find someone to compare him to some player from years past be it Jonno Brown, Nick Riewoldt or Adam Goodes.  I think Jack is now becoming known for being Jack Watts. Consistent effort (try and say that 3 years ago), on field leadership and knowing what to do with the ball at the exact right moment are now what he is becoming known for. Soon Queens' Birthday will be something that will be bought up in his Open Mike interview after he retired as a bizarre incident during his career.

* Max Gawn: Didn't have a real ruckman to go up against but anyone who gets 60 hitouts in a game is doing alright. It would be nice if our mids could actually finish off some of his good work.

* Dom Tyson: Second good game in a row. Good to see him bounce back from 2015 as well as he has. I'm sure he will figure in Bluey voting (Maxy Gawn will win it but Dom is in line for a top ten finish).

Negatives:

*Decision making: Up till the last minute, we found some way to let them back in. Decisions that seemed elementary seemed to take a power of thinking. Is that tiredness from the Perth trip?

*Bernie Vince: Before I get pounced on saying that I want Bernie out of the team, that's not the case. Today was the one time he was horribly, horribly off. Make no mistake about it. He found the pill (21 times according to the AFL website). His decision making however was awful. He nearly gave the bloody game back to the Suns in the last 30 seconds after Jack had taken the mark in the goal square. I'm sure he will bounce back though.

* Strong bodies in the backline: While we have Tommy McDonald and Frosty, I think a Lynden Dunn back there wouldn't hurt. Especially today with GC's tall forwards. 

I need another beer!!! I'm still shaking after that game. It was kind of like when you avoid a mid road collision. You aren't happy you are still alive. You are more shaken over what might have been!

That being said, I'm glad we got the four points. The alternative would have been much, much worse.

I do! I loved him last week, but he had a nightmare game....

Two huge positives not just from this game but for the season and going forward

Billy Stretch - hes better than advertised and way ahead of schedule. So calm and collected despite his age and lack of experience.

Sam Frost -   this guy is a gun backman.  For real. Might end up our best defender.

• Like 7

Firstly- very hard to watch today to the point I almost stopped caring about the sport but I'm really happy with the result as it meant avoiding another close loss. We should've beaten them up more but I'll really take the points. The Suns were basically inept after quarter time yet we left the door open. Watts could've won it last week so I'm glad he arguably did this week, that said I think he should've been able to beat up on the Suns defence as they didn't have a great match up for him and kick at least 6. Apart from a couple of great dashes, Garlett was useless (I'd love to see him jump at the ball sometime), Hogan didn't really turn up, Dawes was as average as the crowd let him know but at least he did some basic leading and marking in the 2nd half.  AVB's return to form was something though.

Really upset with the consistency of Jones and Vince at the moment, and our senior players just making really inexcusable decisions. The only pieces of class through the middle were generally Brayshaw, Petracca and Hunt. We've really got to stop switching when we're not gonna kick to players' advantage, but just hold them up, kick it at their feet or turn it over. I feel like half the MCC could do better with the ball in hand sometimes, we really need more hard leads to stop those looping kicks sideways and backwards. 

• Like 1

Just now, jumbo returns said:

I do! I loved him last week, but he had a nightmare game....

I personally blame Mark Neeld. I think he had something to do with Bernie's off day today.

1 hour ago, Demon Jack said:

Nearly in tears. I'm so proud of Jack Watts. After all the pressure and criticism he's endured over the years, he's finally becoming the player and leader we always needed.

And to all those on DL who wanted him and Hunt gone and especially as I picked them both as must retains on the list last year and also my two big improvers for 2016, I say hello.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Franky_31 said:

I have moved from last year keep him at all costs to being neither here nor there on his potential departure. Has only had a handful of games this year that have delivered close to expectations. Lots of cheap ball at wing and half back to then hang onto it too long to turn it over or kick it to a contest. Cant recall the last time inside  50 where he gave multiple leads. 

• Like 2

get over hogan,look how good the other developing forwards are going from the other clubs,hogan is a long way back and should have been sent back to casey weeks ago.

• Like 2

4 Points

Stretch really showing something, very creative

Watts a leader

Brayshaw best game for the year

Frost was our best key defender

Hunt!!!! Love the ball in his hands

Vanders could have had 6, best forward on the day

we are Melbourne supporters, got our 9th win for the season, how about a little positivity?

• Like 4