CASEY SCORPIONS v SANDRINGHAM

KC from Casey

Any final result for the DL? (And how did JKH and Salem go?)

A big win to the Casey Scorpions Development League team today. Maxy King kicked three goals and the team is now a definite finals chance.

AFL Victoria Development League

Casey Scorpions  5.7.37 7.9.51 12.10.82 15.11.101

Sandringham 0.0.0 4.2.26 4.3.27 8.5.53

Goals 

Casey Scorpions Max King 3 Di Pasquale Freeman Fritsch Stockdale 2 Baker  Ferreira  Salem Wilson

Sandringham Dobosz 3 Hayes Iudica McLaren Uthayakumar  Wilkins 

Best

Casey Scorpions Wyatt Fritsch McInerney Kennedy-Harris J McDonald Max King

Sandringham Verma Hayes Hooy Grace Dobosz Wilkins

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

I must be a B+ troll too because I've watched Weed a few times this year and I'm starting to get worried as well.

He has a nice leap which I've seen at times, but his speed and ground skills have been below par and it is his lack of work off the ball that has seen Hulett go past him.

His decision to not go with a banana kick from an angle today made me worry that he does not have the smarts for this level - given the way the wind was blowing, his attempt was the equivalent of playing a wood out of a bunker and being surprised it didn't have enough height to get out.

Certianly I'm not about to make a big call and say he won't make it because he does have a leap and clearly does not have a body yet to hold his ground, but I've seen enough of him to know that he's got a lot of work to do next year. He missed a lot of last year injured so maybe he's still finding his feet.

As to Olisik's Lucas Cook's comparisons, clearly the Weed has already shown more, but then again Cook was elevated to No.12 pick on the back of Prederghastly's judgement. So maybe they are tracking about the same given the lesser expectation on Cook.

I think you will find Lucas Cook was expected to go top ten he was under 18 AA   what happened  who knows?

7 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

I think you will find Lucas Cook was expected to go top ten he was under 18 AA   what happened  who knows?

Cook wasn't an Under 18 All Australian. He was picked in the TAC Cup Team of the Year, and was not considered a 1st rounder, let alone a top 10 pick.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Cook wasn't an Under 18 All Australian. He was picked in the TAC Cup Team of the Year, and was not considered a 1st rounder, let alone a top 10 pick.

Spot on mo64. The MFC were crowing how they took him early and beat all the people looking at second and third round selection. The MFC were only club that thought he was first rounder. Guess what the other 17 clubs got it right.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

No..

Lucas Cook was never expected to go too 10 at all. He was expected to go between 22 to 30.

It was an unexpected shock we chose him at pick 12 and other clubs were just as confused.

It was purely a draft blunder.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Cook was an All Australian CHF.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Theo said:

We need Declan Keilty and Tim Smith at the Dee's. Keilty is 21 and is improving every game. Is versatile and can play in multiple positions. At 25 Smith is a great mark and kick for goal. Would do well playing next to Hogan.

Agree Declan Kielty I was very very impressed with this guy! Sheeit he is better than a few playing ones at present! Make that Period!

10 minutes ago, olisik said:

Interesting JKH Didn't make it into the bests in development league. Anyone know if he was on reduced minutes?

JKH did make it in the bests, Salem didnt. He kicked a goal though.

1 minute ago, Petraccattack said:

JKH did make it in the bests, Salem didnt. He kicked a goal though.

I must have missed. Salem was on reduced minutes apparently. Could have used Salem yesterday going inside50

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

No..

Lucas Cook was never expected to go too 10 at all. He was expected to go between 22 to 30.

It was an unexpected shock we chose him at pick 12 and other clubs were just as confused.

It was purely a draft blunder.

It depends on what draft 'experts' you read

1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

Saty,

I remember the draft well as it came a year after Prenderghastly had chosen four exciting midfielders, one of whom was Jordan Gysberts at pick No.11.

Why we chose to go four midfielders that year is why he (Prenders) and we (as supporters) became the laughing stock of the comp. Daniel Talia was rated the best forward that year and we chose to ignore him - he's turned into a rather handy defender.

The next year Barry decided to show his amazing knowledge by going with the best tall forward and he was kinda hoping Tom Lynch might still be available but he went to GC at pick No.11. When that didn't eventuate he gambled on a player whom many felt would go about pick 30. Laughter ensued at other clubs!

To his credit Prenders did nominate Tom Mc that year - one of only two picks that he ever got right in his five years of abject failure - big Max being the other!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Deespicable said:

Saty,

I remember the draft well as it came a year after Prenderghastly had chosen four exciting midfielders, one of whom was Jordan Gysberts at pick No.11.

Why we chose to go four midfielders that year is why he (Prenders) and we (as supporters) became the laughing stock of the comp. Daniel Talia was rated the best forward that year and we chose to ignore him - he's turned into a rather handy defender.

The next year Barry decided to show his amazing knowledge by going with the best tall forward and he was kinda hoping Tom Lynch might still be available but he went to GC at pick No.11. When that didn't eventuate he gambled on a player whom many felt would go about pick 30. Laughter ensued at other clubs!

To his credit Prenders did nominate Tom Mc that year - one of only two picks that he ever got right in his five years of abject failure - big Max being the other!

Not only that, but we ignored (like other clubs) a bloke who would have been handy in our forward line - Jack Darling.

Cook failed because he didn't make the transition to AFL footy very well and, as we all know, our ability to develop young talent at that time wasn't exactly good.

Edit - you also mentioned the 4 midfield draft - it's unbelievable to think that, if we decide not to offer Trengove another contract, that all 4 of those midfielders won't be on our list next year.  They were supposed to be our nucleus right now.  Just further proof of how we stuffed up and how far it really did put us back.

Edited by Wiseblood
  • Like 1

I wasn't all that impressed by Weideman today but I wasn't that disappointed either. 

He's coming off nearly an entire missed season and we know he's not that fit. He started the year really well and the season is probably starting to wear him down. Not to mention the conditions he plays in are nearly impossible for key forwards.

I still think he'll make a very nice mark and kick player at AFL level it's just going to be a slow build and he's not going to be the full package over night.

He could possibly benefit from dropping back for a week or two in the VFL reserves to get a few goals on the board. It seems they did that with Max King this week.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Deespicable said:

His decision to not go with a banana kick from an angle today made me worry that he does not have the smarts for this level - given the way the wind was blowing, his attempt was the equivalent of playing a wood out of a bunker and being surprised it didn't have enough height to get out.

The commentators pointed out just before that kick that he's kicked 17.3, so he knows where the goals are. Almost impossible to kick goals from that pocket at Casey when the wind blows to the other pocket, as it so often does.

Highlight of the day was Grimes rundown on Lonie, timed his run perfectly.

Lowlight was the umpire paying holding the ball, and then 50, against Trengove when the only player who had hold of him was Bugg. The look of bemusment on both their faces said it all!

Pick of the players for mine today was Grimes. His composure and ability to move the ball along his wing a feature. Thought most of Oliver's touches today, again predominantly kicks, were of very little effect. His net metres gained would probably be very minimal. After being seemingly bitten by Cook he played angry and distracted for the rest of the day. The lack of courage from any of the commentators to say what they and we saw of that incident was appalling, maybe because a lowlife such as Campbell Brown shares the commentary box meant it was no big thing to them.

Massive win in the context of our season, especially when losing the crucial ruck dominance of Spencer so early. The last few weeks have been pretty ordinary, and we definitely learnt our lesson from last week of the importance of scoring goals against the wind. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

It depends on what draft 'experts' you read

Draft experts like 'Shifter Sheahan' have been on record to say he expected Cook to be picked mid twenties.