Michael Hibberd and Michael Hurley

P-man

1 minute ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

Pity it wasn't 5mil over 5 years. He's not that good.

They are paying top dollar to keep their players, Myers getting 3 years was the one that surprised me. Hope they re-sign Hibberd as well, i'm not overly keen on him

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

Robbo said 4mil over the five years.

800k  lol

If we had signed him at that salary I doubt anyone would be thrilled.  Glad hes staying at Essendrug

• Like 1

What a great few years for the Bombers. Tank at the end of last year to secure Parish and Francis, don't even try this year to guarantee themselves the spoon, probably end up with two picks inside 10 by colluding with Academy bidding loopholes, pay overs to all their banned players with luxurious compensation payments outside their salary cap, then it's just business as usual from next year onwards.

The AFL will of course do nothing about it, can't have the Bombers staying unsuccessful for long, can we?

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, america de cali said:

I question now whether we would need or want  one or both of these players.  The improvement in our defence has been excellent in the  second half of the season. The two Macs and Frost look capable  of now doing all of the heavy lifting.  We have very promissing players in Wagner and Hunt. Jetta is rock solid and we have Melksham and Salem to return.  

A lot of us have been very critical of our backline at some point this year. How happy I am to slowly be proven wrong.

I just have so much faith in the development of our young players to take us up at the ladder, that Landing that elusive 'big fish' come trade week would just be the icing on the cake.

10 minutes ago, SaberFang said:

What a great few years for the Bombers. Tank at the end of last year to secure Parish and Francis, don't even try this year to guarantee themselves the spoon, probably end up with two picks inside 10 by colluding with Academy bidding loopholes, pay overs to all their banned players with luxurious compensation payments outside their salary cap, then it's just business as usual from next year onwards.

The AFL will of course do nothing about it, can't have the Bombers staying unsuccessful for long, can we?

The AFL needs a strong Essendon apparently.

Funny that it didn't need a strong South Melbourne or Fitzroy.

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, SaberFang said:

Guess Essendon upped their under the table, outside of salary cap "compensation" payments by a few million, to secure his signature.

Interesting point.

If Essendon players are to sue the club, should the damages awarded be included under the salary cap? If not, isn't that providing the bombers with a mechanism to circumvent the salary cap?

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Interesting point.

If Essendon players are to sue the club, should the damages awarded be included under the salary cap? If not, isn't that providing the bombers with a mechanism to circumvent the salary cap?

And you watch. As long as no one in the media brings it up or there's little beating of the drums, the AFL won't want to shut down the loop hole.

Edited by AdamFphlebeb

3 minutes ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

And you watch. As long as no one in the media brings it up or there's much beating of the drums, the AFL won't want to shut down the loop hole.

They'll work it out through their "Ministry of Integrity".

• Like 3

On 8/18/2016 at 3:45 PM, Gorgoroth said:

Robbo said 4mil over the five years.

I find this amazing, James Frawley is a far better defender than Michael Hurley, and is on significantly less per season, that money is crazy for a second defender

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Abe said:

I find this amazing, James Frawley is a far better defender than Michael Hurley, and is on significantly less per season, that money is crazy for a second defender

Far better? Praising any Essendon player makes me gag, but Hurley has become a brilliant defender. Would take him over Frawley every day of the week. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

And you watch. As long as no one in the media brings it up or there's little beating of the drums, the AFL won't want to shut down the loop hole.

Why would anyone in the media bring such a thing up? There has been a sustained, 3 year propaganda machine from Rupert's cronies to discredit ASADA/WADA and turn us all into sympathisers of convicted drug cheats...

Oh, except when they play for other countries like Russia and China, those guys are filthy, drug cheating scum.

And not to mention everyone involved with the AFL itself desperately wanting to sweep the entire saga under the rug and move forward, probably because there's so many skeletons in their former CEOs closet.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Tom McDonald re-signs with MFC, MFC offer off the table to Hurley, Hurley resigns at EFC - simps really.

Haha, that'd be funny. Slightly possible too.

1 hour ago, mrtwister said:

I heard they have almost all signed and the club is releasing a statement on a different signing every couple of weeks. The seem to think it is keeping their supporters enthusiastic.

That's what the MFC has done this year too. Jetta signed nearly a month and a half before it was announced, and Watts signed weeks before it was announced. They both said so in interviews. 

I assume all clubs do this. It's a shame we missed out on Hurley. Hibberd would still be a good addition if we can land him.

It's also a shame there doesn't appear to be a big fallout for the Bombers after what's happened. They've signed up nearly everyone now.

On 8/18/2016 at 5:17 PM, Lord Travis said:

That's what the MFC has done this year too. Jetta signed nearly a month and a half before it was announced, and Watts signed weeks before it was announced. They both said so in interviews. 

I assume all clubs do this. It's a shame we missed out on Hurley. Hibberd would still be a good addition if we can land him.

It's also a shame there doesn't appear to be a big fallout for the Bombers after what's happened. They've signed up nearly everyone now.

Absolutely they do! it's one of their biggest marketing and membership boosters in some ways.

1 hour ago, Choke said:

The AFL needs a strong Essendon apparently.

Funny that it didn't need a strong South Melbourne or Fitzroy.

Not so funny, they were small clubs financially and in membership.

• Like 1

Nice bit of Blackmail by Hurley and Manager.

Hope he squeezed more drug money than is reasonable out of the deal.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, billy2803 said:

I'm amazed that some posters think because Worsfold said he hasn't spoken to these players, that he actually meant it.

Meh. If nothing else, it just shows the deceptive & underhanded way that this club - far far more than any other - chooses to go about its routine business.

On Tuesday, August 09, 2016 at 7:20 PM, braysure said:

The only player Essendon may possibly lose to another club is Hibberd. Stanton and Howlett close to re-signing/re-committing. Pears to go to the MFB as a fireman. Watson still in limbo but obviously won't be at any other club if he does want to play on. That leaves Hurley and Hibberd. Hurley is staying. Personally I think Hibberd will stay, but that is purely in Essendon's hands. If they don't want to match the money/years he is demanding he will leave.

On Tuesday, August 09, 2016 at 7:34 PM, DavidNeitz9 said:

Stop pretending you know what Hurley's plans are, only those closest to him would know. Hibberd staying is purely in Eseendons hands???...lol...you know jack

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 2:15 PM, faultydet said:

I don't understand guys.

braysure has been telling us time and again that hurley is going nowhere. What happened?

You blokes went hard on old mate Braysure and funny enough he did have the last laugh and make you two look very silly.

Maybe he did have the inside word after all.

Oh well I'm just glad we dont have to give up a shitload for Hurley as that was my biggest worry. Knowing Dildoro would have asked for Brayshaw Petracca and our 2nd round draft pick.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Credit to braysure. He certainly had the inside word.

Not only that he also said Stanton would re-sign.  Stanton did that a few days after braysure made this post:

On 09/08/2016 at 7:20 PM, braysure said:

The only player Essendon may possibly lose to another club is Hibberd. Stanton and Howlett close to re-signing/re-committing. Pears to go to the MFB as a fireman. Watson still in limbo but obviously won't be at any other club if he does want to play on. That leaves Hurley and Hibberd. Hurley is staying. Personally I think Hibberd will stay, but that is purely in Essendon's hands. If they don't want to match the money/years he is demanding he will leave.

So far he was 100% right.  He also posted that Hibberd's father wanted him to stay at Ess. since backed up by several other reports.  Just maybe he is a Dees supporter and was passing on info.

I will confess I thought he was legit as we had exchanged some pm's on his earlier predictions and he didn't sound like a troll in those.  Maybe I'm gullible...

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

You blokes went hard on old mate Braysure and funny enough he did have the last laugh and make you two look very silly.

Maybe he did have the inside word after all.

Oh well I'm just glad we dont have to give up a shitload for Hurley as that was my biggest worry

see post 577 mate.