GAMEDAY - Round 3, 2016

What

1 minute ago, ding said:

North by 72.

(Yeah i know, but last week really crushed my confidence... if i expect the worst then anything less should cause me less hurt)

Going with the whole 'hope for the best but expect the worst. Anything better is a pleasant surprise' line of thinking. There have been worse and far more delusional ideas offered up in Game Day threads.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

No late changes for either side.

Starting bench: Oliver, Stretch, Wagner, Harmes. Total number of games = 23

North's starting bench: Swallow, Dal Santo, Harvey, Macmillan. Total games = 984.

This is going hurt isn't it. 

2 hours ago, Peter Griffen said:

I think it will be a really good contest, GAWN vs Goldstein should be awesome, i think this game will be won and lost in each teams forward lines, can Hogan/WATTS/ Kennedy/Kent/ Vanders kick as many as Petrie/Brown/Waite/Thomas

That will depend on how quickly and effectively we deliver the ball i50 PG. Need quick thinkers/ball movers. Hope we don't start Clarry in middle like last week. Go with your 3 guns to start almost every time (Vince, Jones, Viney) until the heat is off a little. Then switch your 2 gamer in for the rotations.

Game will be won and lost predominantly through the middle and whoever does the "all team" defence/attack things better than the other. We will need to set up our defensive zone and press super quick as Nth love to sling shot in the blink of an eye via Harvey whenever possible.

I sure hope The teams don't line up as listed. Salem has nice silky skills and moves well but I have no confidence in his defensive side at this point to go with Boomer. Pretty sure that's part of the reason Grimes is back.

Our forward line looks too short to trouble anyone at this point.

We need Dawes back and fully fit to give Hulk a nice chop out, take the heat off him, provide a desperately needed 2nd  tall option and play higher to create more space for Hulk (& Jeffy when back) to do their work in behind. Hulk needs to work higher as a starting position also. Sitting in the square with the way we deliver (or don't) to the hot spot just isn't going to work. Our mids and HBs are almost always coming in under a high degree of pressure also which means many kicks will be hitting the 30 to 50 meter zone rather than 30 & less. This is where Hulk will need to work on his game, regardless of who he is playing for. Also Hulk's kicking accuracy outside 40 meters drops significantly (accuracy is always going to drop the further out you are ...I'm speaking of his drop in accuracy vs the league average drop). This could be related to his kicking method. Working fine (i think it's above league ave) at about 40 or less but no so good outside 40. To have confidence playing higher he may need to rectify this at some stage with the help of a kicking expert (internally if we have one or an outside ex sharp shooter....FEV!!!?)

Good luck to the boys. Hope we are competitive and it doesn't blow out but preparing for the worst.

2 minutes ago, The Stigga said:

Funnily enough, put a bit of pressure on North and they aren't so great...

Does a tired (nee jaded) MFC have it in them for 2 hours?

Of course we do TS. I can't see how this could go pear shaped.

I think i might take Wiseblood ideas and stay away from the game day thread. I got way too overworked last week and went flat for couple of days.

Im not expecting a win so won't be too shatterd if we lose.

Anyway Go Dees.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I think i might take Wiseblood ideas and stay away from the game day thread. I got way too overworked last week and went flat for couple of days.

Anyway Go Dees.

Not a bad way to do it DD.

• Like 1

I just want them coming off the ground looking spent. 4 quarters of hard, tough footy.

Its the absolute minimum the supporters deserve.

35 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

This is going hurt isn't it. 

Start the reds now. Numb by half time.

• Like 1

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

Anyway Go Dees.

You had every right to though mate, but I understand.  The game day thread can make things 10 times worse when we're not playing well.  

Even if we lose today I reckon I'll handle it much better without it being shoved down my throat on here.

• Like 1

Im not even game to turn the tv on....... Just drove to the local for a cheap bottle of Whiskey as well......

WTF has this club done to me.?

16 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

Just found my seat. Sun's out and I'm in a bag full of Dees supporters. Bay 4 Ponting Stand. Happy days. We got this.

I really hope it's going to be one of those special days away from Melbourne, where you get to see something special today Clint. I still remember the 2002 Gabba comeback game fondly. This could be your Gabba comeback.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

No late changes for either side.

Starting bench: Oliver, Stretch, Wagner, Harmes. Total number of games = 23

North's starting bench: Swallow, Dal Santo, Harvey, Macmillan. Total games = 984.

One of the reasons I was against us getting rid of Cross.

We're going to lose so many games this year due to inexperience.

3 minutes ago, Goodvibes said:

I really hope it's going to be one of those special days away from Melbourne, where you get to see something special today Clint. I still remember the 2002 Gabba comeback game fondly. This could be your Gabba comeback.

Making me think of other times, like the ANZAC day eve game against Sydney back in 2006.

Night game at the SCG, scores inside a goal's difference at every change, special.

Some really electric pieces of play, too.

Meanwhile, I got so excited remembering it that I went back and had a look at the numbers. Can't help noticing just how drastically the possession counts have increased in ten years. In contrast, looks like the count of marks has gone down a lot - I'd estimate it was 5 marks per player in 2006!