• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MATCH PREVIEW & TEAM SELECTION - ROUND 1, 2016

Demonland

I hope O Mac proves the doubters wrong and can hold on to his spot, we need to unearth some new back line talent, so maybe instead of being a bunch of whiney socks some of you guys get behind the kid. 

As the great rpfc says,  this will be won in the middle.  Gawn to have a big one,  give Viney et al first use,  and pump it long to the lord and saviour and his fleet footed sheep and we winwin. 

• Like 2

I'll admit to being a little surprised by OMacs inclusion over Dunn but reading Roos comments it's pretty clear that we're going for a team that's 100% fit and also has some considerable game time under their belts.

It was virtually exactly a year ago that we played against the Suns and Ablett played a game he shouldn't have. Without the sub as security I think you have to play a fully fit team, no 5-10% off players. Particularly against a fast running/spreading GWS side - this game SHOULD go down to the wire if we don't already have it wrapped up by 3qtr time.

Go Dees!

44 minutes ago, Eyes on Red & Blue said:

I'll admit to being a little surprised by OMacs inclusion over Dunn but reading Roos comments it's pretty clear that we're going for a team that's 100% fit and also has some considerable game time under their belts.

It was virtually exactly a year ago that we played against the Suns and Ablett played a game he shouldn't have. Without the sub as security I think you have to play a fully fit team, no 5-10% off players. Particularly against a fast running/spreading GWS side - this game SHOULD go down to the wire if we don't already have it wrapped up by 3qtr time.

Go Dees!

It still doesn't add up for mine. Dunn played the same amount of minutes in the NAB Challenge as vandenBerg + a VFL game to go with it.

I could understand it if OMac had shown tremendous form in the NAB Challenge, but he looked a million miles off. I'm baffled!

Matt Jones did impress me in the practice games but I'm still uncomfortable with him getting a regular game.

The coaches seem to love Frost. I get it, he's athletic and versatile. That must be very appealing. But I'm a long way of being convinced.

Outside of those three it looks a good side on paper. I fully expect Brayshaw, Dunn and Lumumba to be in before long.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bandicoot said:

Oscar is taller than Dunn so why is he getting a game? 

4 letter word

Starts with P

Ends with E

Re watch the round 2 video last year and see why we were smashed after half time

OMac is the only inclusion I'm surprised by. I honestly didn't think he showed enough during NAB. Pederson as well I would've expected but Frost is the future and has better forward pressure (a clear focus over off season). 

I'm very comfortable with them taking he cautious approach to fitness of players, Brayshaw in particular, no need to risk his season and long term future on one game v Giants  

The start is so critical, sets the tone for the whole year. I want to see the players hit the contests as if they're playing for a GF spot. Hopefully Hogan clunks some early and blows off those pre-season cobwebs. 

Edited by Pates

7 hours ago, Sylvia Saint said:

It still doesn't add up for mine. Dunn played the same amount of minutes in the NAB Challenge as vandenBerg + a VFL game to go with it.

I could understand it if OMac had shown tremendous form in the NAB Challenge, but he looked a million miles off. I'm baffled!

Matt Jones did impress me in the practice games but I'm still uncomfortable with him getting a regular game.

The coaches seem to love Frost. I get it, he's athletic and versatile. That must be very appealing. But I'm a long way of being convinced.

Outside of those three it looks a good side on paper. I fully expect Brayshaw, Dunn and Lumumba to be in before long.

Try another chair, nobody believed me when I said Matt Jones might be in the RD 1 team, reason he plays every game like it going to be his last, and read what Roos wrote in Heartbeat about him, he has obviously earnt his spot. As for the Dunn/Omac I said before Xmas it will be the fittest and in form 22 who will get a game each week, they must consider Dunn is just off the pace, also Vandenberg did heaps of work in the break and came back ahead of some of the other players.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mrtwister said:

Can't wait to see who Bugg pi$$e$ off first. He's great at it at the best of times but against his ex teammates he might just go nuts. Stevie J is easy to fluster. We shall see. 

Toby Green would be right up there...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Oscar McDonald concerns me.

I gotta say there are quite a few areas that concern me. Oscar would be the major one though. He's not ready IMO.

It's a real pity they're giving Gus another week. He only needs to touch it twenty times to have a big influence. I'm a little bit worried about their backs running off Pedersen too. We've been exposed by GWS before when going in too tall.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bing181 said:

I don't know that Dunn is all that injured, or underdone. A senior player like that, with 10 or so pre-seasons under the belt should be right to go on what Dunn's had. He's also named as an emergency, unlike the others in your list.

I wonder if it's a message thing? A late change for Oscar? :P

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AdamFarr said:

I gotta say there are quite a few areas that concern me. Oscar would be the major one though. He's not ready IMO.

It's a real pity they're giving Gus another week. He only needs to touch it twenty times to have a big influence. I'm a little bit worried about their backs running off Pedersen too. We've been exposed by GWS before when going in too tall.

They've got Corr, Marchbank, Davis and Buntine down back. As well as the 3 tall forwards and a ruck. 

Too tall is not an excuse especially given the mobility of Hogan and Frost (who may as well be 180cm with the way he moves). 

Hopefully Pedersen runs the game out strongly, I think he's fitter than he's ever been at this stage of the year. If not, I hope he gives it his physical best against Mumford, even if he has to cross the line. And if that doesn't work I hope we've got Watts and Frost well trained as 3rd man ups.

6 hours ago, bandicoot said:

Totally agree Oscar was a liability in all 3 nab games. He can't stick tackles

He also doesn't read the ball well. I think one of these GWS forwards is going to kick a few snags on him.

6 hours ago, bandicoot said:

The guy is 28z he isn't going to suddenly change into an asset. Let's hope this is the last game he plays for the club

I don't quite agree with this. I've been pretty anti-Matt Jones myself, but with increased running support around him and better players, average players willing to run hard will always look a lot better in a good team.

I'm not saying he won't still be delisted at year's end, but he certainly offers run and carry. The best game he has played for the club was in that Geelong win last year. That's the standard he has to play to, as a negating, hard-running defensive forward or back flanker. He does that and I'd keep giving him a game at this stage. Geez, I never thought I'd be saying that. Just goes to show you can't write off anyone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pates said:

OMac is the only inclusion I'm surprised by. I honestly didn't think he showed enough during NAB.

Perhaps - but then again, what did Dunn show? OK, injured against St Kilda, but with that plus the Port match, he still played 1 ½ games, but totalled 2 marks. Game against Port, only 6 possessions, though he played most of the game. Not disagreeing about Oscar necessarily, though his game against St Kilda was an improvement. But are we picking players on what they're actually showing, or on reputation?

Edited by bing181

6 hours ago, Emerald said:

Bit worried about 2/3 of the half back line with the GWS midfield coming at them.It might be a goalfest for both sides on Saturday.

Yeah. Their backline looks pretty weak to me too.

5 hours ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Officially the funniest post ever. 

I actually thought he could be joking for a moment and then realised it was O. :P

Edited by AdamFarr

4 hours ago, PaulRB said:

I thought OMac progressed well over the NAB, his forward delivery in NAB 3 being miles ahead of NAB 1's miskicks... 

In the absence of GWS's big forwards, maybe he's quicker and more attacking than Dunn...? 

They might also see this as a good opportunity to get some more games into him. I know it could potentially be playing with fire, but there's something to be said for the FD making bold moves. 

4 hours ago, rpfc said:

Er, I am worried about Oscar too but who will he be shown up by?

No Patton, Cameron, McCarthy.

It all comes back to our midfield and how they compete and run.

Win the contested footy, get 250 touches in space, put it forward 55 times, and win by 5 goals.

Oscar McDonald won't be a good enough excuse if the reverse happens.

The danger man back there for me is Devon Smith. Oscar may just get him too at some stage. Stevie J did very little against us last year and he's pretty much finished, but I expect him to lift for his first game at a new club. They're the guys, along with the midfield, that can kick them a winning score. Oscar needs to play within his limitations (unlike his brother does) and focus on reading the play better, because I think, along with circumstantial decision-making, this is his biggest liability. He was caught out of position a few times in the NAB games and was certainly caught out in his debut season.

Edited by AdamFarr

Not sure why ppl are think Oscar is replacement for Dunn...he could just as easily be in for H and no one here is complaining about that. 

Its too simplistic to say Oscar is a replacement for X or Y player! 

Regarding Dunn -the way the team plays has changed and just maybe he hasn't been able to change with it.  He hasn't been the most disciplined of players on game day and tbh he is a C+ to B player at best.

If he could add a 'rebounding' element to his game we wouldn't need to tie up Salem and Vince in the backline.  Its up to him to secure his place in the team. 

• Like 2

As I have said earlier and even in the cold hard light of day as opposd to the grog induced nights, In which universe and on what planet does Oscar Mc Donald get a game over Lynden Dunn??

• Like 1

LH is right on the ball throwing up the possibility that OMac might be playing in lieu of Harry. So many here are attacking  OMac and the selection committee in defence of Dunn rather than best team on the day as regards fitness or match-ups.

Similarly, the Club has chosen to play Dunn, Brayshaw and Harry in the (shortened) Casey practice yet not even giving Petracca a run today as part of his come back. Judging from the outcome of the NAB Challenge, I am prepared to have confidence that our FD has a strategy and also that we will see plenty of Dunn, Brayshaw, Harry, Petracca and even Weideman by the end of the season. Similarly, I am not overly disappointed to see Matt Jones out there today - he has worked hard for it and will be committed to not letting his team mates down.

• Like 1

Nah, it's definitely Oscar over Dunn and there have been whispers over summer that he was ahead in the pecking order.

Brayshaw is best 18, but Roos said (intimated) on the club website in a recent interview that he's a little underdone.  He'll be back in quickly.

Matt Jones was always going to play and this has been mentioned a number of times in the round 1 thread.  But don't take any notice of the positions they put players in.  He'll play an outside wing role.

Grimes isn't best 22 despite what some supporters think. 

I can't wait until Petracca, Brayshaw and Trengove get in to this team.  Three top 3 draft picks waiting in the wings.    

• Like 9

1 minute ago, ProDee said:

Nah, it's definitely Oscar over Dunn and there have been whispers over summer that he was ahead in the pecking order.

Brayshaw is best 18, but Roos said (intimated) on the club website in a recent interview that he's a little underdone.  He'll be back in quickly.

Matt Jones was always going to play and this has been mentioned a number of times in the round 1 thread.  But don't take any notice of the positions they put players in.  He'll play an outside wing role.

Grimes isn't best 22 despite what some supporters think. 

I can't wait until Petracca, Brayshaw and Trengove get in to this team.  Three top 3 draft picks waiting in the wings.    

But on what basis is Mc Donald higher in the pecking order? As stated, his Nab games were far from convincing! I would even say very disappionting! I'll be watching this unfold tommorrow with huge interest. If we have a weakness it will be found out here IMV

Either I've been on holidays for too long, or everyone here has lost the damn plot 

So much rage and we haven't played a single minute yet. 

Sadly I can't watch any of the game as all my electronics were stolen, but I'll be following on my phone with crap country-side internet. 

Go Dees!

• Like 3

The Omac inclusion does worry me but not to the point of slitting my wrist on here like Barney and Pickett are.. fair dinkum..

Good to see Matt Jones play. I thought the limited game against the Saints he was the one who was really spreading hard and using his pace. He will play on Kelly and Hopefully curb his influence.

The big out for me is Congilio fron GWS who is named emergency. He completely shut down last year and took him out of the game.

4 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Either I've been on holidays for too long, or everyone here has lost the damn plot 

So much rage and we haven't played a single minute yet. 

Sadly I can't watch any of the game as all my electronics were stolen, but I'll be following on my phone with crap country-side internet. 

Go Dees!

Where are abouts are you Jaded?

Sorry to hear about your stuff. Know the exact feeling.

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

Where are abouts are you Jaded?

Sorry to hear about your stuff. Know the exact feeling.

In Italy now, but had all my stuff stolen in France.

Worse thing is I can't watch us play. Also that I have literally nothing left, but all that [censored] is replaceable. Finally watching us not suck is a once in a lifetime experience. 

Not sure it's worth spending the money to watch broken bits of play on an iPhone.