Dean Kent primed for a big 2016

dazzledavey36

17 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Even as old and grump as I am I cant help but feel genuine excitement when Kent plays. Love how he take a game on.  This guy has some real "X" factor about him.

When he's up I reckon other players will lift in tune; not that some need to but he has a spring in his step this lad :)

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, ProDee said:

I see him as our Paul Chapman. 

Nice idea :)

Very important for our structure. He gives us much needed speed at half forward and on the wing. Good user of the footy and aggressive to boot, plus a tidy over head mark for his size.

Just needs to keep fit and keep the hammies intact. With no sub, I reckon he might be used a bit on the wing, which will be exciting. Similar to how they used Garlett in bursts last year.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Very important for our structure. He gives us much needed speed at half forward and on the wing. Good user of the footy and aggressive to boot, plus a tidy over head mark for his size.

Just needs to keep fit and keep the hammies intact. With no sub, I reckon he might be used a bit on the wing, which will be exciting. Similar to how they used Garlett in bursts last year.

Agree.

His attributes could be wasted playing to close to goal.

Now these might be big ifs BUT, if Kent stays fit, if Petracca comes good, if Tyson and Brayshaw stay fit, if Gawn stays injury free, if Tommy Mac can hold the backline together, if Salem's injury problems cease, if Hogan plays 20 games, if Garlett kicks straight, you know what, we might win more games than we lose in 2016. I haven't even mentioned Vandenberg, Frost, Harmes, Stretch, Neal-Bullen, Vince, Jetta or any of the new lads. This could be good.

• Like 6

I like the comparison with "Chappie" if he can reach those heady heights we have an AA player on our hands which improves our chances of playing finals sooner rather than later.

2 hours ago, Good Times Grimes said:

I think he will very quickly become one of our most important players if he can stay on the park.

Agree, though without anything more than a hunch to go on, I suspect he may be a pre-season or two away from getting his body up to where he can get through a full season. He's still only young.

There is something about Dean Kent. His aggression early against Richmond last year lay the platform for our win and who could forget his running goal against Essendon in 2014.

Just needs to find more of the ball. Kent's  never had a 20+ possession game in his career.  A champion like Chapman was fast, physical, kicked goals but also got plenty of possessons.  For Kent to go to the next level and above, he needs to find more of it.

• Like 1

Absolutely agree with the views expressed above.

Final game of 2014, Kent executed not 1, but 2, beautiful 'square up' passes to (IIRC) Tom McD (who thankfully converted).

Onviously bugger  all riding on the result but it was still pretty to watch and a clear demonstration of this guy's skill.

Fingers crossed he stays on the park!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jaded said:

Read a quote where we are looking to turn the ball over from the opposition much closer to our own goal rather than from our defence. Makes sense as it puts a lot less pressure on everybody. With Trac, Kent, Garlett and even Hunt chasing down opponents this could be a real game changer for us......

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

Kent is a jet, but i reckon Vanders is going to have a huge impact this year as well! those two will be a huge positive

they both will :)

1 hour ago, Wrecker45 said:

So am I. When those blokes with fast twitch fibres get hammy problems they seem to be re-occurring.

I'm confident that Misson et al have done the work regards the full management of Kents hammies. From strengthening to game preparation to recovery.

Hea been going full tilt at training and match sim and hasn't missed a beat which indicates the level of confidence that he and the conditioning staff must have.