Chris Dawes injured again

doc roet

I'm one of Dawes's biggest critics, but I would never wish for someone to have their career impacted by injuries the way his has been. I hope that he's able to recover quickly and prove his value to the team before his contract is up. By all accounts he's a great clubman and leader, and I hope that if his playing days have reached the end of the road then he'll be offered a role in coaching or mentoring the new young forward brigade. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

I love how people always bring up his contract amount.

Wheb he came to us we had no one on our list, we paid the minimum salary cap even with Dawes Contract. FFS, I'm still surprised some one half decent even came to the club at that time.

On the plus side, when he is out of contract it will free up some decent $$$. Hopefully we can throw it at a decent CHF to give Hogan a chop out, meanwhile, sign Dawes to a further 1 year deal on a much smaller salary (mentor role/back up CHF).

10 hours ago, Outside fifty said:

I was watching Dawes closely today and thought he was going well. He goes out of his way to educate the younger players such as Weiderman and King and when you consider that both these guys are his potential replacements/competitors for his position that shows a whole lot of class . He took a couple of good grabs and was running hard until the injury.He did the calf pretty close to where I was standing and he knew immediately that it was serious. Gotta feel for the guy.

There's a lot lacking in class on display here.

And you're spot on - it's not Chris Dawes, or his attitude to this club and his potential replacements.

Perhaps some here could benefit from his guidance as to team-oriented behaviours, leadership, and the proper approach to be adopted towards the club.

I wish him all the best. Must be an absolutely horrible blow for him in the circumstances.

• Like 6

This is a blow for us if he can't play much this season. If pedo gets injured as he tends to do then we are very short in the KPF area. I am hoping frost can turn himself into a decent fwd but I am not convinced on the little I've seen. Looks more of a natural defender. Poor kicking for goal and average marking. Again this is all based off 3 games so I'm hoping he can do better. 

Looks loke The Weed and Hulett will get chances. 

With the sub going as well maybe we will see Gawn and Speno playing together more

10 hours ago, grazman said:

Oh to be on the wrong side of 27 again... sigh.

Hang on, are you getting younger? My guess is that you will forever be on the wrong side of 27.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KingDingAling said:

On the plus side, when he is out of contract it will free up some decent $$$. Hopefully we can throw it at a decent CHF to give Hogan a chop out, meanwhile, sign Dawes to a further 1 year deal on a much smaller salary (mentor role/back up CHF).

You would sign him to an extra year now? Really? I wouldn't do that, even if he came for free. I would expect that our list would be managed differently now.

You give extra years to older, injury prone players, if they bring something very good to the team on the rare times they make it onto the field. Dawes doesn't bring much at all, and if we are making allowances for how hard he trains, as some others have suggested, then our list management team should be looked at. We have made large inroads into the character side of things in recent years, we don't need to carry anyone like Dawes any more.

If he cant get the body right, delist, and give someone else a chance.

Good luck Chris, I think you will need it.

I think we have to be somewhat realistic when discussing any loss here to Melb.  Chris despite his enthusiasm for the club and his clear ability to play a position up forward has had a particularly troublesome run with injury. 

Even coming into this year there were distinct niggles and he hadnt been part of the main training group on most occasions. Point being Dawes was unlikely to figure in the first 22 for a while, at best. Now it would seem he will  in all likelihood struggle to do so at any stage this year.

This is undoubtedly a blow to Chris and as someone who has tried valiantly to help us  I agree with many that this is rotten luck for the bloke. As others suggest possibly a mentoring role might open up for him as he has shown a willingness and more the point ability to teach the younger brigade.

This wont change our fortunes as a team in 2016

I wish him well and a full recovery.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

I think we have to be somewhat realistic when discussing any loss here to Melb.  Chris despite his enthusiasm for the club and his clear ability to play a position up forward has had a particularly troublesome run with injury. 

Even coming into this year there were distinct niggles and he hadnt been part of the main training group on most occasions. Point being Dawes was unlikely to figure in the first 22 for a while, at best. Now it would seem he will  in all likelihood struggle to do so at any stage this year.

This is undoubtedly a blow to Chris and as someone who has tried valiantly to help us  I agree with many that this is rotten luck for the bloke. As others suggest possibly a mentoring role might open up for him as he has shown a willingness and more the point ability to teach the younger brigade.

This wont change our fortunes as a team in 2016

I wish him well and a full recovery.

I can see why they're persisting with Frost as a forward option. 

I still think Pedo can offer the team adequate scoring power relative to Dawes output.

Frost however has the speed and the strength to apply better defensive pressure than Pedo. Just has to improve his kicking accuracy.

Edited by McQueen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, McQueen said:

I can see why they're persisting with Frost as a forward option. 

Frost however has the speed and the strength to apply better defensive pressure than Pedo. Just has to improve his kicking accuracy.

Everything about Frost screams defender.....

14 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

Yay! Wattsy dodges a bullet!

Let's feast on Dawes!

lets not kill the hunger jumbo,  don't misunderstand the deesire.

14 hours ago, Magoo said:

Some of you guys are like piranhas.

Can some of you guys lend me your crystal balls?

ditto ^ ^ ^  see above

14 hours ago, Hogan2014 said:

Not great sinking the boots into a player based on injury... Calf issues are hard to get rid off & history shows they keep on re occurring.. 

Lets not forget he come to our club in our darkest days & attracting A graders was  pie in the sky stuff... Though need to support our players!

I think if you think deeper it isn't based on injury.  but rather the unfulfilled promise & the form showing this disappointment.

6 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

There's a lot lacking in class on display here.

And you're spot on - it's not Chris Dawes, or his attitude to this club and his potential replacements.

Perhaps some here could benefit from his guidance as to team-oriented behaviours, leadership, and the proper approach to be adopted towards the club.

I wish him all the best. Must be an absolutely horrible blow for him in the circumstances.

back to the north with ya.    take your judgements with ya.

17 hours ago, doc roet said:

Ok I was harsh in my opening post,but the guy, as you have stated,needs to kick more goals,improve his marking,

I don't care how well he trains,how much he tries,he just hasn't got it.Week in week out he just doesn't make a difference.

I know it's not his fault that his body has let him down,nor that we splashed the cash,but if he can't perform,why do we persist

in playing him?Lets face it,he doesn't do anything outstanding like an angus,or a Hogan,he is just there.rating 5/10.

This team has gone beyond him now,We are really going to pick it up this year,and there is no place for wannabees.

You've made some poor posts in this thread that point to either a lack of understanding of football or trying to be to cool via putting someone else down.

It's frustrating when people throw out lines that are blatantly untrue yet are disguised in a way that sheep can follow them. 'Week in week out he just doesn't make a difference'?. In 2 (half) of our wins in 2014 I'd argue he was the most important player on the ground. I concede he had a poor year last year but I'm certain it was due to other factors than lack of ability (injury, game plan, confidence).

I find it interesting that people swoon over players like Morabito, Menzel and Trengove with their bad luck with injury, yet when Dawes breaks down some people seem to believe it's his fault.

• Like 1

Frost has to play down back! Dawes' injury takes away the difficult coaching decision to drop him, which I have thought necessary for a while. I'd prefer to play small/Pedo or even Watts across the half forward line than have a place holder in Frost who should be developing in his natural defensive roles.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nutbean said:

Everything about Frost screams defender.....

Players can be groomed to swing between ends. We've seen it before in our own team and all know that it can be very effective on occasions.

I'm not saying that he will be a pure replacement for Dawes. I'm saying that due to the forward options still being reasonably light on (until Weed matures) we will need 'others' that can perform adequately at both ends.

For one reason or another, the Coaches appear to be favouring Frost over Dunn or Garland.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, McQueen said:

Players can be groomed to swing between ends. We've seen it before in our own team and all know that it can be very effective on occasions.

I'm not saying that he will be a pure replacement for Dawes. I'm saying that due to the forward options still being reasonably light on (until Weed matures) we will need 'others' that can perform adequately at both ends.

For one reason or another, the Coaches appear to be favouring Frost over Dunn or Garland.

matchups, & then the opportunities it provides us during game time to swing momentum if required.

2 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

You do this often... Why? Am I missing something here?

No you haven't missed anything. 

Having quoting issues, I've quoted the wrong post or reneged on what I was initially going to say. I then clicked on source and deleted the post, then I'm stuck with an empty page. I have to post something in order to repost. I'm at work so I'll start writing then change my mind....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sue said:

Leaving aside obvious speculations, has anyone actually heard how serious the injury is?

Had scans this morning, you'd expect the club to put out news on it this afternoon, once the community camps are done.