MFC 2016 Membership - Record Broken. Next stop: 40,000

Lucifers Hero

14 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I can see flashing lights at half time tonight announcing a new membership record!  

Maybe a record crowd for a home game announced at 3/4 time!

And a win on the final siren!  

Actually, i really like that the club seems aware of this countdown thread and is giving us very frequent (weekend) updates to help us out.

There would be an even higher total if the staff/volunteers had of maintained their stand at half time last night. There were a lot of enthusiastic 'followers' who tried to convert to "supporters' at half time but were unable to. 

I just thought I'd mention something about the 20% discount from New Balance for Melbourne members.I needed a new pair of runners so I thought it best to support our sponsor and go with New Balance.I didn't want to order a pair online without trying them on first so on the way to the game yesterday I stopped off at Chadstone Shopping Center and tried on the shoes I wanted at the New Balance store there.I told them my situation and they gave me the 20% discount right there and then.So it was a good day for me to be a Melbourne member yesterday as I got a new pair of shoes cheap and the Dees beat the Tigers.

I have to say, and thankyou New Balance for being a MFC sponsor, but the match guernsey don't half shread very easily ! . Thats 3 in 3 matches ! Perhaps its designed to just tear off in a tackle , great thinking , no holding the ball !! 

• Like 2

The win against the Tigers, two in a row and our new attractive and combative game style are all are positives.  Probably being over optimistic, but if we can win the next two we might still give 40k a nudge.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CBDees said:

There would be an even higher total if the staff/volunteers had of maintained their stand at half time last night. There were a lot of enthusiastic 'followers' who tried to convert to "supporters' at half time but were unable to. 

I don't know why they don't do this. Even after the game with a win like that, set up a tent or two outside the ground and sell memberships to people while emotions are high.

7 hours ago, longsuffering said:

Do it today - online. 

Doesn't always work like that. Once the enthusiasm and alcohol wears off reality can hit and people become a bit more pragmatic. 

• Like 2

Now 37,174.

Moving at a nice clip now: 174 in 1 day!

A few really good wins and a very watchable and enjoyable brand if football has done wonders.

On 23/04/2016 at 10:41 AM, Rusty Nails said:

If that is the case Ethan then i'm sure many Toig supporters would not be able to resist this mullet highlight package (Guest starring Lovett & Jackovich :lol:)

WARNING: Certain aspects of the following footage may encourage some viewers to revisit and grow retro style mullets!

I was too young to go to games back when Jacko played, so love when people post this stuff.

A few things:

1 - He has a bit of the Hogan stutter about his run up

2 - Is that what a forward line looked like without a 'flood' or 'zone'? Cool.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Now 37,174.

Moving at a nice clip now: 174 in 1 day!

A few really good wins and a very watchable and enjoyable brand if football has done wonders.

So we broke the record  174 times today alone, with many more records to come.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Choke said:

I was too young to go to games back when Jacko played, so love when people post this stuff.

A few things:

1 - He has a bit of the Hogan stutter about his run up

2 - Is that what a forward line looked like without a 'flood' or 'zone'? Cool.

Why so many forwards were kicking100 plus i guess.

Plus the delivery was more accurate as well, even we were hitting up regular on the lead back then as you can see by those highlights. There was the opportunity to execute on match day more often and not just on the training track which probably helped.

We are slowly getting better at it now as a team but i haven't seen much of it until this year. Great to see the improvement though. Teams clog up more effectively now of course so much harder to find these spaces and targets. But...if you're willing to work your bum off and lead up/back enough (and you're also reasonably accurate) and if others in the forward line do their thing to create fat sides/keep spaces free, blocks etc then guys up the field will tend to look for you more often and get used to doing the looking/passing (as a first option). It then becomes a first choice habit rather than regular first choice bombing as we were prone to do mostly for so many years prior to this. Provided the ball is moved quickly enough off HB of course.

This is where the likes of Harmes and in particular Wagner, Hunt and the Big H have been very handy for us so far and why calls from some on here to drop them (or some of them) are misguided. Their speed across the ground and speed of transition is invaluable and a must in today's game in order to beat the zones/press before the opponent has had enough time to set it correctly and gives our forwards a decent chance of kicking big ones from higher percentage spots i50.

Watts has been doing that a little more this year with pretty good results so far. Hogan a little also but not sure he has the tank and break away power to make an impact on the lead (on a regular basis) just yet. Should come with enough hard work and another pre season or two and a more mature head (having the King in his ear should hopefully fast track his development here a little).

15 hours ago, It's Time said:

2826 to go to 40,000. Can we do it?

Now is the time for any of those wavering and those who may have jumped off over the years to get back on board. Even a token membership will do wonders to get the juggernaut rolling. Any MCC members who haven't taken out the dual membership, pull a pineapple out of your pocket in support of the fantastic work by PJ, Roos et al to get this club back on track and starting to gain some respectability again. If we can get to 40k it will be a great achievement and stepping stone for next year and beyond to consolidate our position off field and within the AFL community. It will help with sponsors, home games and FTA exposure.

Lets get cracking.

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Any MCC members who haven't taken out the dual membership, pull a pineapple out of your pocket in support of the fantastic work by PJ, Roos et al to get this club back on track and starting to gain some respectability again. If we can get to 40k it will be a great achievement and stepping stone for next year and beyond to consolidate our position off field and within the AFL community. It will help with sponsors, home games and FTA exposure.

Lets get cracking.

Agree, and with a joint MCC/MFC membership from as low as $79.00 no MCC Demon supporter should have any excuse for not joining.

Yes, let's get cracking.

• Like 1

Just now, Dee Dee said:

Agree, and with a joint MCC/MFC membership from as low as $79.00 no MCC Demon supporter should have any excuse for not joining.

Yes, let's get cracking.

I'm an AFL Member with club support, have signed my two sons (3yo and 8 months) up as AFL Members and also as Junior Demons members. I'm tempted to take out an additional 3 game membership ($99) just to help nudge us up towards 40k. Armchair memberships (I assume are included) are only $69 and digital armchair memberships (giving you access to the AFL Live Pass on mobile phones/tablets) are only $125. 

• Like 1