Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Which clubs to rise and fall 2016

Dommygun12

Did this I think around this time last year had some interesting calls a few including myself thought bulldogs and eagles would drop only for both to make a final and be runner up.

I personally think we will just miss out on finals by a game or two but will be wrapped to be proved wrong.

My bottom few most definitely carlton are in for a few years of pain along essendon and gold coast.

I do think geelong will get back to top 4 with their trade period being an absolute ripper.

Currious to read everyone elses thoughts on who will rise, fall and why.

• Like 1

At this stage i think The Shockers will slide

i just can't see Lyon getting anymore out of that team without a Gun Full Forward/CHF

Pavlich is no more. 

North & The Tigers could fall over. 

I expect the MFC to be right in the mix for a finals spot, will be angry if it aint achieved. 

PJ called it last year. Make it stick. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheoX said:

Hopefully Colonwood fall. Sharply.

Weighed down by carrying Howe, Treloar and Aish.

I'm not convinced by Geelong, even after their 'bumper' trade period.  There top liners are elite but their fall away dramatically after that to a lot of overhyped players.  I don't think they'll be playing finals again in 2016.  I think Freo will be in the bottom part of the eight as like Geelong, they haven't replaced their quality seniors over the past three trade/draft periods.  North and Richmond have topped up again on senior players, but I see them holding steady at the 4-6 range.  one of them may make a prelim, but they certainly won't win it.

Port will be the big climbers this year IMHO; they remind me of Geelong in 2004-6.  Geelong played deep into the finals in 04 and 05 and were desperately unlucky not to make it into a Grand Final.  Big things were predicted of them in 06, but it unravelled dramatically.  Similar story to Port for 2015, many had them tipped as a flag fancy but form, injuries, luck and even a bit of complacency combined to see them miss the eight.  I'm expecting them to be back at the pointy end of September in 2016 and may even take the whole thing.

Then of course there's us... should win the flag.

• Like 2

I thought last year that Carlton would finish bottom 2 and was right with that one. They're not going anywhere fast and will probably be joined by the Bombers.

I couldn't see the Tiges making the 8 but they did, maybe a year early on that call. I think 2016 will be Dimmers last as tiger coach and they are about to make a big mistake in re-signing him. They will be big losers in 2016.

I think the Dogs had a good run in 2015 but will drop off in 2016.

Thought the Cats would slide in 2015, they have gone all out to halt the slide but they will need to make top 4 to justify their decisions. Really not sure how to call this one but injury will play a role. They will need Danger, Duncan and Selwood to stand up along with 2 bigmen at least. They've got a couple of years to get another flag or they're done.

I'm not as big as some on GWS and think GC if they get a decent run with injury could jump them this year.

North, Swans, Freo...something will need to really change to make them legit contenders. The Swans, like the Cats this trade period really need a flag out of their decisions with Buddy & Tippett. Can't see it happening but then again...

Port, they will need to bounce back. Not sure about Hinkley yet, think Walsh was a bigger loss than many have credited. Brings us to Adelaide, probably around the bottom half of the 8 to just out of it, Collingwood the same.

Us...I think we will be the surprise packet this year and push for a spot in the 8, probably fall short by a game or 2 but with some luck who knows.

The Hawks, someone will jump up this year. Just not sure who yet. No idea who will win it but they are the favourite at this stage....WC, was it a one off season? Don't know about them. They covered injury well in 2015, does this mean with players coming back in that they will be a better team? They might drop off after the belting they got in the GF.

1 hour ago, Tony Tea said:

The Tigers remind me of Melbourne in 2006.

So you think next season is their 2007 or will that come in 2017?

I think they are overrating themselves now and are in for a world of pain in the not too distant future.

Rise:

Like others not exactly sold on Cats trade period, high risk but I beleive Danger frees J.Selwood up by no being number 1 tagging option

Port finished off well in second half and think we have a Cats of 06/07 on our hands

Pies IMO they have shown enough earlier in the last two season that they are on the rise like their list and think Moore will step up

Fall

Sydney although if Buddy and Tippett have good seasons the fall will be minimal

North - not sold on them they have done well in September with underdone Cats and Swans in the last two finals to grab prelim births, at some stage their defense will be caught out and Gody copping a decent injury is curtains for them

1 minute ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Rise:

Like others not exactly sold on Cats trade period, high risk but I beleive Danger frees J.Selwood up by no being number 1 tagging option

Port finished off well in second half and think we have a Cats of 06/07 on our hands

Pies IMO they have shown enough earlier in the last two season that they are on the rise like their list and think Moore will step up

Fall

Sydney although if Buddy and Tippett have good seasons the fall will be minimal

North - not sold on them they have done well in September with underdone Cats and Swans in the last two finals to grab prelim births, at some stage their defense will be caught out and Gody copping a decent injury is curtains for them

Could be...If the big kid from GC stands up that will be a big plus.

Hinkley is still growing in the role and replacing Walsh with Voss was not like for like.

I'm really interested to see what they do this year, they do have the cattle to stop the Hawks run if they get it right.

• Like 1

I have to believe that we will rise.  GWS too. 

Freo to go down.  Hawks to drop as well (not hard since they can't go up any further. 

I'd love to see the Pies and Geelong go down a few more pegs. 

Bulldogs I think will drop to just out of the finals.  Just a bit of a hangover/getting ahead of themselves.  Look for them to bounce right up in 2017. 

My stab in the dark at the final ladder for next year:

1) Port Adelaide - Dixon is a huge help, beat Hawthorn twice last year and underachieved

2) Hawthorn - I can't see them dropping off

3) West Coast - I'm still not 100% convinced they are the real deal but they will win a lot at home

4) Western Bulldogs - I don't think last year was a fluke, finally have some decent key position players

5) Fremantle - Pavlich, Mundy and Sandlilands aren't getting any younger but don't underestimate how good Bennell will be for them

6) Sydney - Will always be up there, especially with help from their academy but the fitness of Franklin will be a huge deciding factor

7) Geelong - They should be up there again with their recruits but I think they could be very vulnerable if they get injuries

8) Melbourne - A lot would have to go right and injuries would need to be at a bare minimum for this to happen

9) Richmond - Pretenders, plus I hope they finish ninth just because

10) GWS - If their young talent can finally step up and Mumford stays fit they will push for the eight

11) Collingwood - I'm not convinced their recruits are as good as everyone thinks, if Cloke gets good support they will push for the eight

12) Adelaide - Loss of Dangerfield is huge, their midfield will be stretched

13) Gold Coast - Ablett is a handy inclusion but they did lose Dixon and Bennell, a lot will depend on the fitness of Prestia, O'Meara and Swallow

14) North Melbourne - It's good to see they added youth in the form of Farren Ray, seriously how they have made the last two preliminary finals is a mystery

15) St Kilda - Kids will improve but stars are in their twilight

16) Essendon - Similar to 2015

17) Carlton - Similar to 2015 but their GWS rejects should at least improve their depth

18) Brisbane - I expect that this time next year they will have a new coach

8 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

12) Adelaide - Loss of Dangerfield is huge, their midfield will be stretched

A lot of people are forgetting Crouch (Brad the older one) when talking Adelaide. This kid is a real footballer and if fit will take up some of the Danger slack.

Bombers blues goldy lions down the bottom . Saints could win a few more games , well coached disciplined young team expect them to be up around the 8 with gws . Cats will miss the eight as will the pies .  Port and dogs will again only go so far with there game styles so a waste of time really although they will play a final . Slider will be the crows down with the cats and pies . Tiges top 4 . 

injuries play such a massive part in a 22 game season - eg GC and Brisbane this year

but for the risers, id say GC will take a big step.  just missed the finals last year and were decimated this year with their entire midfield out. will benefit from Bennell not being there and Eade will get them in shape

Apart from them, The Dees will finally rise up the ladder after 9 years in the bottom 6 and finish in the top 10

The pies will also improve - as much as I hate to say that - Treloar is a gun.

For the Fall - Adelaide will slide, St kilda will finish just above the Blues (time will catch up with Nick and Joey).

And I think the Hawks will finish outside the top 4.  coming 5th.  better players getting older, hunger is very hard to maintain

Rise: Port Adelaide (fully expect them to be a top 4 contender), Melbourne (not to finals though), GWS (should be making finals next year), Geelong (should be closer to finals than they were this year)

Fall: Sydney (it's going to fall apart very soon, if not 2016 then 2017), North Melbourne (this list is already maxing out to be making preliminary finals, not sure how much longer it can keep doing that), Richmond (see North, except replace "preliminary" with "elimination"), Fremantle (peaked at the wrong time (i.e. Hawthorn's peak))

Stagnate: Bulldogs (will be thereabouts for finals but not going to be top 4), St Kilda (most over-rated side going into 2016), Carlton (need another bottom 2 finish), Essendon (list is weak)

Edited by titan_uranus

West Coast, Port, Hawthorn, Geel

Coll, GWS, Syd, Freo

---------------------------------------

WB, Rich, North, Gold Coast

St Kilda, Adelaide, Brisbane, Essendon, Carlton

That's my best guest excluding us right now. I'm hoping we head to a pretty even comp next year. Carlton will be bad. Hawthorn will be some level of good. Everyone else will be inbetween which hopefully means unpredictable results and a bunched ladder.

I get the feeling Hawthorn and West Coast won't be as good as last year (even though I've still got them top 4) and Freo and Sydney should slide. I don't think anything is guaranteed for the teams that finished 5-8th last year either (Rich, WB, Adel, North). So it could be a whole bunch of new teams in the top 8.

Unfortunately I don't think it will be too many 'new' teams that haven't seen success. GWS might do it. Otherwise it's a case of Port, Geel and Collingwood jumping back in to the 8.

I don't understand how some people on here can't see Richmond in the top 8 next year? They were only one game out of the top 4 and beat the Hawks in the last few games of the season. 

If you think we will make the finals in the 2016 season your dreaming, we will finish in the 12 11 10 bracket. We won 7 last year and need to win another 7 on top of that to make the finals which I can't see that happening, I would be happy if we win 10 to 12.

Adelaide will fall, new coach no DF.

North will fall, just made it this season and haven't made any trades to get better. 

Bulldogs will fall, got in last year from easy run.

Fremantle

Richmond 

Sydney 

West Coast 

Hawrthon 

Port Adelaide

GWS

Geelong

Bulldogs

Collingwood

Melbourne

North Melbourn

St Kilda

Adelaide

Brisbane

Gold Coast

Carlton

Essendumb 

1 minute ago, ILLDieADemon said:

I don't understand how some people on here can't see Richmond in the top 8 next year? They were only one game out of the top 4 and beat the Hawks in the last few games of the season. 

Because they have maxed out and are poorly coached...they've again failed to improve their list and it is badly flawed. Natural progression will not happen with this list.

That's about the only reason I can come up with.

As for beating the Hawks, tell me when they do it in a final. In fact tell me when they beat anyone in a final and I might take some notice of them.

• Like 2