Ryan Bastinac

dazzledavey36

There are rumours and talk on the North board on bigfooty (i know i know...) that we are into Ryan Bastinac.

Personally I'd much rather him than Melksham. Go look at Bastinacs stats and its superior to his. His career best is a wopping 44 disposals and 2 goals against GWS. That's elite

Plays inside and out and is a gut runner who spreads really hard our of the contest, something we have lacked over the years.

Probably fell out a bit this year due to the inclusion of Higgins. But it's a big yes from me. I'd offer the supposed deal meant for Melksham to this bloke.

• Like 3

We should try and trade for genuine class (unlikely to land anyone) or develop through the draft.

I'm a bit over the oppositions cast offs.

All the top sides have built their sides through other sides cast offs. I really don't understand this mentality.

Hawks: Gibson, Hale, Gunston

Swans: Shaw, Richards, Kennedy

Eagles: Yeo, Cripps, Wellingham

A lot of those players were seen as just OK players at their previous clubs but when put into a good system and with a clear role they flourished.

I'm glad we have a strong coaching and recruiting team at the moment who are able to identify under used talent.

• Like 1

All the top sides have built their sides through other sides cast offs. I really don't understand this mentality.

A lot of those players were seen as just OK players at their previous clubs but when put into a good system and with a clear role they flourished.

I'm glad we have a strong coaching and recruiting team at the moment who are able to identify under used talent.

Gunston couldn't be included as a cast off, nor Gibson, Yeo and Cripps.

...but your point is valid. If you can get a Kennedy who was struggling to get a game but seen to have a big upside then of course you take them.

So you look for a player not getting opportunity or paid what he is worth then dangle the carrot. Mumford was in this position, the Cats really didn't want to lose him but couldn't match the offer.

I would be looking at someone like Anderson at the Hawks for example.

• Like 2

Gunston couldn't be included as a cast off, nor Gibson, Yeo and Cripps.

...but your point is valid. If you can get a Kennedy who was struggling to get a game but seen to have a big upside then of course you take them.

So you look for a player not getting opportunity or paid what he is worth then dangle the carrot. Mumford was in this position, the Cats really didn't want to lose him but couldn't match the offer.

I would be looking at someone like Anderson at the Hawks for example.

I think the only one of those who was regularly performing was Gibson.

Yeo and Cripps were still very raw in terms of development and Gunston was just a bit part forward at the time the Hawks went after him.

Exactly. And we don't have that good system nor do we have a good enough list yet.

I think the only one of those who was regularly performing was Gibson.

Yeo and Cripps were still very raw in terms of development and Gunston was just a bit part forward at the time the Hawks went after him.

These 3 were not cast offs though, they were very much required players. They are the type of players I think we need to target...that's why I would look at someone like Anderson.

These 3 were not cast offs though, they were very much required players. They are the type of players I think we need to target...that's why I would look at someone like Anderson.

I'm sure Bastinac is a required player at the Roos but may want a fresh start elsewhere. Same with Melksham.

You can't rule anything out in terms of players coming good but he's well and truly in the Melksham class right now. 24 year old midfielder who averaged just over 16 disposals in his last two seasons. Soft as butter and poor under pressure. When North are going forward, it's often when it gets in the hands of Bastinac that the play breaks down.

For the right price maybe, but the right price is a third round pick. North will want more.

I'm sure Bastinac is a required player at the Roos but may want a fresh start elsewhere. Same with Melksham.

...and if we see them as being a Kennedy type then of course we go for them.

Personally I would be looking at players like Yeo, Cripps, Gunston or Tyson, not yet established but with a few years in the system...

Gibson wasn't a cast off.

Gunston most certainly wasn't a cast off.

Yeo was a highly rated young talent at Brisbane.

Wellingham wasn't a cast off.

Cripps wasn't a cast off.

Clearly, you've no clue what I'm talking about. I'm all for recruiting someone who we see as a good fit for a "role", but I don't want vanilla midfield spuds like Bastinac who have shown they're not best 22 at their incumbent club. Hale was on the outer, because North had Goldstein and McIntosh, but Hawthorn identified a role for him.

Players will be assessed on a case by case basis, but I see no value in a player like Bastinac whatsoever.

• Like 4

Clearly, you've no clue what I'm talking about. I'm all for recruiting someone who we see as a good fit for a "role", but I don't want vanilla midfield spuds like Bastinac who have shown they're not best 22 at their incumbent club. Hale was on the outer, because North had Goldstein and McIntosh, but Hawthorn identified a role for him.

Players will be assessed on a case by case basis, but I see no value in a player like Bastinac whatsoever.

In all honestly with the players you mentioned except for Gibson none of them had established themselves before they were traded. I would argue that Bastinac has done more so far than Yeo and Cripps had done before they moved on.

My argument is that the good sides are good at identifying talent that is being held back. In any case I'm not a recruiter so it's irrelevant what I think but I know that the people we have on board now will be able to pick players who can fill a role.

You named Wellingham who was a soft vanilla spud at Collingwood, who was struggling for consistency and attitude was questioned at times during his last couple of years at collingwood. He is now playing career best football and now an important memeber for their.

Jamie cripps wanted to go home but he was in and out of the side. A cast off and now in their best 22 in that half forward role.

We have turned Jeff Garletts career around aswell and sometimes a fresh start is all he needs. Bastinacs first couple of years were pretty impressive and his stats prove that. But with North bringing outside players like Dal Santo and Higgins he has been pushed out. We need experience midfielders to run through the midfield and spread hard and thats what Bastinac brings. He is a massive upgrade on Melksham no doubt.

And your comment on him being soft is a cop out. We wouldn't be bringing him in to be a crash and bash player we have enough inside grunt players to feed it out to the likes of him on the outside to use his gut run and spread.

Edited by dazzledavey36

In all honestly with the players you mentioned except for Gibson none of them had established themselves before they were traded. I would argue that Bastinac has done more so far than Yeo and Cripps had done before they moved on.

My argument is that the good sides are good at identifying talent that is being held back. In any case I'm not a recruiter so it's irrelevant what I think but I know that the people we have on board now will be able to pick players who can fill a role.

Brayshaw hasn't done anything either, but he's a talent we'd hate to lose. Just like Gunston and Yeo.

Look, I'm wasting my time on this thread.

• Like 1

Brayshaw hasn't done anything either, but he's a talent we'd hate to lose. Just like Gunston and Yeo.

Look, I'm wasting my time on this thread.

Not sure I really comprehend your idea here. Brayshaw came out of the box and hasnt stopped really. Sure tired a little at seasons end but hes young and only had one proper preseason.

Already shown hes a decent player with a good footy brain...imho