2015 Player Review - # 5 Jimmy Toumpas

Demonland

Showed some glimpses during the season of what made him so highly sought after in his draft year but his career has been disappointing to date and is being held back by injury and inconsistent form.

Games MFC 2015 9

Career Total 27

Goals MFC 2015 4

Career Total 6

Games CSFC 2015 10

Goals CSFC 2015 2

Keith "Bluey" Truscott Memorial Trophy 29 votes

clearly has talent, but doesn't look like an afl level player.

panics with the ball in possession which leads to making a litany of errors, lacks defensive intensity, looks to have zero pace whatsoever, and looks like a massive fail as a top pick, which is particularly galling as the immediate three players selected after him look set to go on to be genuine stars.

• Like 2

Doesn't seem to have coped with the pressure that comes with being an AFL footballer and a high draft pick. And because of that his confidence and composure has always looked shot.

There is still a part of me that thinks something in Jimmy's head might just click, and you get the feeling if he starts to play well, believe in himself, he could just feed off that confidence and get better and better.

But the clock is ticking.

Edited by Forest Demon
  • Like 1

I watched the St Kilda game and thought that he was going to break out and be that player we so desperately needed. Then, reality set in, and he played his way out of the side then got injured.

I really like the guy, but how long is too long a wait?

2015 was another disappointing year for the Toump.

Honest opinions on Toump.

The kid has the talent, training standards and application to be a quality AFL player, but not the one we recruited.

Since being recruited the drop off in leg speed has been shocking, this kid was genuinely at u/18 level

I don't buy into the idea that Jimmy is scared of the contest, more that he is scared of failure, relies on his confidence being high to play well and takes his performance and failures very personally.

the game against the Saints showed that Jimmy has some amazing qualities and class when he's up and going but it can't be 1 or 2 games a year at this stage of his development, he needs to start making strides.

I want to see the Toump hit his break and pre season with one clear focus, " do not put the protein shake down " he needs to beef up and develop a hard edge and inside game for next year, he could become a very dangerous player if he can consistently compete on the inside and use his skills and class on the outside in space.

His tackling has clearly improved from borderline non existent, clearly been a focus.

Bottom line is Paul Roos and Simon Goodwin clearly see the possibility of him becoming a good player, fingers crossed they're right.

• Like 7

Jimmy clearly is well below where we, and presumably he, thought he would be after three years.

That said, I would love to know why the likes of Stretch, Neal-Bullen, Harmes, Michie, Newton and even Lumumba were allowed weeks and weeks of mediocre performances, whereas Jimmy gets dropped after two quiet games. We know his confidence is an issue, and I doubt that this helps.

I think he can play, but he needs a big pre season and a strong start to 2016.

• Like 1

Honest opinions on Toump.

The kid has the talent, training standards and application to be a quality AFL player, but not the one we recruited.

Since being recruited the drop off in leg speed has been shocking, this kid was genuinely at u/18 level

I don't buy into the idea that Jimmy is scared of the contest, more that he is scared of failure, relies on his confidence being high to play well and takes his performance and failures very personally.

the game against the Saints showed that Jimmy has some amazing qualities and class when he's up and going but it can't be 1 or 2 games a year at this stage of his development, he needs to start making strides.

I want to see the Toump hit his break and pre season with one clear focus, " do not put the protein shake down " he needs to beef up and develop a hard edge and inside game for next year, he could become a very dangerous player if he can consistently compete on the inside and use his skills and class on the outside in space.

His tackling has clearly improved from borderline non existent, clearly been a focus.

Bottom line is Paul Roos and Simon Goodwin clearly see the possibility of him becoming a good player, fingers crossed they're right.

A good assessment. His lack of speed is a huge worry, particularity given how few players we have with genuine speed. I also don't think he is scared of the contest and yes perhaps he could remodel himself to be an inside player.

I struggle to see what made Jimmy such a highly sort after pick. Even when looking through his U18 footage there isn't much that stands out here other than him being just a link player on a wing.

He's not strong enough to be an inside mid. He isn't agressive at the pill or opponent, never seemed to have much agility and only has minimal speed. Skills are ok but is useless when the pill is in the air as I can't recall one contested mark he has taken.

Not sure what his aerobic capacity to play on a wing but that's the only spot I can see for him.

He's a ripping kid and would love to read this post in 12 months time where he has completely made a fool out of me but can't see it happening. I wouldn't at all be disappointed if he was the steak knives as part of a trade.

• Like 1

Kid needs to be hypnotised.

Mate, we all eff up from time to time, it is not the end of your footy career but if you make yourself only 'as good as your last touch' then it will be the end of your footy career...

He's got talent, but needs to get out of his own head.

• Like 4

Kid needs to be hypnotised.

Mate, we all eff up from time to time, it is not the end of your footy career but if you make yourself only 'as good as your last touch' then it will be the end of your footy career...

He's got talent, but needs to get out of his own head.

I promised myself I was not going to comment about JT again until a decision on his position for 2016 was resolved but here I am.

That last one rpfc is the difference for a hell of a lot of players who do not make it.

They never resolve that issue.

• Like 1

I promised myself I was not going to comment about JT again until a decision on his position for 2016 was resolved but here I am.

That last one rpfc is the difference for a hell of a lot of players who do not make it.

They never resolve that issue.

Poor recruiters too, who have to decide whether a kid is passionate enough to take his footy seriously, or too passionate about his footy that he can barely function when things aren't going great...

#raisethedraftage

• Like 3

Poor recruiters too, who have to decide whether a kid is passionate enough to take his footy seriously, or too passionate about his footy that he can barely function when things aren't going great...

#raisethedraftage

definitely

• Like 1

My essential opinion of Toumpas is he's a very fine SA player with some nice skills. Problem is he's playing in the AFL

• Like 2

Can't question his workrate or courage, and has neat skills when given time. But the kid's football brain seems to be 2 steps below AFL standard. Even at VFL level, he struggles with decision making in contested situations.

Like Deeko said, I struggled to see what skillset he had that translated to AFL standard, let alone warranting a high draft pick.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

TWO (2) Issues for JT and 2 only as far as I am concerned.

1. Panics when he gets the ball & often makes poor decisions

2. Disposal by hand & foot is not up to scratch.

Fix these 2 up & we have a player.

a little more time playing senior football and maturing mind and body should help, I think he will be a lot better next year where ever he is than what he has been so far.

Apparently on 5aa on the rumours round it was mentioned that Toumpas has requested a trade to port adelaide.

I want to be traded to a better life...

Forget the movie, might even of been Black Adder. Person was granted a wish, closes eyes and makes wish, opens them "oh sh€t I'm still here".