The second ruck/forward rôle

DeeSpencer

Tom McDonald,,, as long as he can take pack marks around the ground like the young Jeff White once did, & also hurt players in the packs up forward. he has the engine to follow, is he big enough ???

but I would use him forward as CHF leading up anyway, aside from a big Lunk in the pocket.

2017 ???? f follower - Hogan - Petracca

hf Kent - TMac - Garlett

Wasn't Goodwin praising McDonalds versatility, making particular note of forward and ruck efforts.?

Might be a hint of what's to come. Frost up back or forward. Dunn also. Really liked Dunn's role last week. Maybe it's a horses for courses rotation.

• Like 1

If we cant bring in a gun or an upgrade for this role, then Pedersen is a good place holder for next season

Ideally though, Sam Frost will be the man. He was being groomed for the role and looked good before his injury , showing some amazing athleticism. He and Hogan would have had some awesome moments together throughout the year if not for that damn toe.

Dawes shouldn't even be in the comversation

Edited by hogans_heroes
  • Like 2

Sam Grimley is another option we could look at. Kicked 44 goals in the VFL this year, 199cm, capable of crashing packs.

Is out of contract at seasons end, so could well pick him up as a delisted free agent?

Was Brett Lovett (refer separate thread) the last player we had out of the Hawthorn system? I like the idea of getting someone from there! (separate question whether he could be the one but sounds OK as described by AAC)

Jack Fitzpatrick seems to be the forgotten man ?

200 cm with Elite Speed

Averages just over a goal per game

Have we got a Ruck Coach ?

Have we got a Set Shot Kicking Coach ?

Looks to me he could fulfil the Forward Ruck position

Half the problem for any Melbourne Forward is the lack entry speed

Got to get better at that

200 cm with Elite Speed

You make a point, however his lack of an ability to crash packs and weakness with contested marking counts against him. He lacks physical presence.
  • Like 3

Sam Grimley is another option we could look at. Kicked 44 goals in the VFL this year, 199cm, capable of crashing packs.

Is out of contract at seasons end, so could well pick him up as a delisted free agent?

A good VFL player I think 'Angry'...

Was Brett Lovett (refer separate thread) the last player we had out of the Hawthorn system? I like the idea of getting someone from there! (separate question whether he could be the one but sounds OK as described by AAC)

Setting the bat pretty low mate...

Setting the bat pretty low mate...

Grimley, Lovett or Hawthorn? (I think I know though! - rjay's response noted ^_^ )

Wasn't Goodwin praising McDonalds versatility, making particular note of forward and ruck efforts.?

Might be a hint of what's to come. Frost up back or forward. Dunn also. Really liked Dunn's role last week. Maybe it's a horses for courses rotation.

well this makes sense, because we'll have to have spots opening to blood & develop players like Oscar, & also progress Frosty... defence first for frosty IMO, as its easier to learn, or was once.

this is why I want to find a mature 2nd ruck follower with a developed body,,, so these other boys can learn other multiple roles. & take their time, developing the follower skills.

Dunn can play, these days, but if you could get Prestia or J O'Meara, but they wanted Dunn, what would you do ??? especially with Oscar & Frost coming on ?

• Like 1

200 cm with Elite Speed

not overlooked, but is as if we are all treading water Re fitzy, at the moment... which must mean our thoughts are in twilight, re his list position. he is running his clock down.

Casboult's set shots have improved out of sight in the second half of the season. I think they got Big Sav to work with him to great effect. He has a terrific set of hands

Does tend to go missing though....often for weeks at a time

going missing in that rabble is not hard to do

Many seem to be underestimating just how much we missed Pedersen when he was injured - not a star by any means but a pretty reliable solid rôle player.

• Like 1

Many seem to be underestimating just how much we missed Pedersen when he was injured - not a star by any means but a pretty reliable solid rôle player.

'competitor' is the word I think your looking for Mono, & your right imo. this is where Fitzy has to get to, & he showed it in defence, I think, from the little we saw of it.

maybe fitzy needs the Nev Jetta model ?

• Like 1

I declared him as a de-listing but yeah you make a good point as we do need some insurance since the release of Jamar

But please no more 3 year contract extensions

• Like 1

Sure. 1 or 2 max years - after all he isn't likely to be going anywhere fast.

I declared him as a de-listing but yeah you make a good point as we do need some insurance since the release of Jamar

But please no more 3 year contract extensions

max KIng baby - Max attack * 2

I think the coaches have high hopes for him. As with all big boys, the waiting game tests the patience of supporters, but he's shown some very good signs, not unlike those of Max Gawn, who he is 2 to 3 years behind in development.

• Like 1

Add Mason Shaw to the list http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/player-profile/mason-shaw

Out of contract with Port and had a bad 2nd year due to injury after kicking a good amount of goals in his first. Reminds me a bit of Tippett.

197cm might be a little short to ruck but close enough.

^^ GRRM re Mason Shaw

Given the limitations of highlight reels and given the level of competition, he looks as if he can mark and kick goals, as well as doing a bit of ruck work.

Could be worthy of a look as a tall forward / ruck back up. Wouldn't see him as a potential principal ruck.

I am sure that the recruiters have had a look and formed a more educated opinion than we can, and will factor him in (or out) of calculations and considerations.

Would take him any day over Dawes. Dawes would struggle to kick 30 goals at VFL level a season.