• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Charlie Curnow

dazzledavey36

Not at all.

But the impression I get is that BA is not on the money here.

I never heard this, only that we were after pick 3 for Parish.

I just can't see what Curnow has that would make us reach.

Having seen extended vision of Parish last night I now get the hype.

We'll take him at 3.

Curnow has, for mine, become overhyped. May well turn into a very good footballer but if we are choosing between him and Parish, I'd be staggered if we chose Curnow.

• Like 1

Curnow has, for mine, become overhyped. May well turn into a very good footballer but if we are choosing between him and Parish, I'd be staggered if we chose Curnow.

It is interesting how quickly an opinion by some journalist snowballs. Soon enough most can't actually remember why they think player A is a lock but the idea has self perpetuated.

Its easy to get caught up in it i guess but personally i try to stand back and wait for draft day. Theres just no way I can gather enough info on any of these kids to make my opinion worthwhile.

Also I've been burnt so often now with our drafting. I remember being happy we took Toumpas. Hadn't seen many highlights but got caught up in the media frenzy like most.

• Like 3

It is interesting how quickly an opinion by some journalist snowballs. Soon enough most can't actually remember why they think player A is a lock but the idea has self perpetuated.

Its easy to get caught up in it i guess but personally i try to stand back and wait for draft day. Theres just no way I can gather enough info on any of these kids to make my opinion worthwhile.

Also I've been burnt so often now with our drafting. I remember being happy we took Toumpas. Hadn't seen many highlights but got caught up in the media frenzy like most.

You're absolutely right Munga. Does Taylor base his selection on what he's read in the lead up or the games his recruiters went to throughout the year? (rhetorical)

• Like 1

just watched the long curnow video, I'm not sold. His strength appears to be marking on the lead, but his disposal is pretty ordinary and once the ball hits the deck he's not clean at all. Didn't see him kicking many goals either. I'd be looking elsewhere.

You're absolutely right Munga. Does Taylor base his selection on what he's read in the lead up or the games his recruiters went to throughout the year? (rhetorical)

Pretty certain he bases his opinion on the 2 to 3 minute highlight tapes from the AFL...

• Like 6

Watched most of that video. Think it's important to realise it's seemingly lost of his disposals not just highlights.

I'm still a fan. He makes things happen. His athleticism is obvious, he seemingly has go go gadget arms and has strong hands in a contest, which of course is what you need at TAC level to be any chance at AFL level.

He's certainly a long way off as a midfielder, the repeat efforts around a contest are lacking and his play below his knees is poor.

His kicking is interesting. He takes risks and pulls a lot of them off. Ball drop is a bit high and therefore he doesn't lace it out but he certainly makes things happen and doesn't blaze away.

Yeah he's a bit of a risky prospect with plenty of development to do but at the same time I think he has a heap of potential and natural ability. We've got Brendan McCartney for a reason and if he can't sink his teeth in to this bloke and make him a footballer then no one can.

Pick 3 might be too high, but if he's still there at pick 7 I'd be keen.

• Like 4

I watched all of the 27 minutes and feel I have a better understanding of this player. It's still only a snippet, but it's enough to start forming an opinion.

He won't cut it in the AFL as a pure midfielder, so forget drafting him as one. He's just not sharp and clean enough around congestion. At one point when he had to handball left-handed he clumsily fabricated an awkward dish-off with the right. He needs time in congestion that elite midfielders just don't get in the AFL. I appreciate he'll become better in the application of these aspects in an AFL environment, but I can't imagine he'll ever be strong enough to make it his full-time role.

One can fall into the trap of concentrating on what a player isn't good at and not what they are good at. Notwithstanding the above, he's got a really good footy brain. He doesn't get too rushed and often waited until the last moment to execute the best option. This was noticeable on numerous occasions.

He's a good lead up player, moves well with good pace and agility and looks a natural forward. When the ball is on the deck in the forward-line he'll still be dangerous, because he's had that midfield background and can be creative by hand. He's not as good a contested mark as Hogan, who is, but he's still strong overhead. He actually looks a hulking figure despite not being overly tall. But he's no Stringer. Having seen this extended footage there's no similarity. He actually looks like a more athletic and faster Paddy McCartin.

I can imagine him complementing Hogan well and can see them teaming together. But I don't know if he's the best available key forward at pick 7. I too wouldn't take him at 3, but wouldn't be averse at 7. I haven't seen Weideman, who some think is also a great prospect. I suspect one of the two will be there at 7, so it will be interesting to see how things unfold.

I can't imagine Essendon taking both Francis and Curnow, because neithers best position is midfield and they're desperate for midfield talent.

I doubt Curnow will play more than 5 or 6 games in 2016, whoever he plays for.

• Like 20

just watched the long curnow video, I'm not sold. His strength appears to be marking on the lead, but his disposal is pretty ordinary and once the ball hits the deck he's not clean at all. Didn't see him kicking many goals either. I'd be looking elsewhere.

probably could have said the same of Wines, or Stringer to.

Watched most of that video. Think it's important to realise it's seemingly lost of his disposals not just highlights.

I'm still a fan. He makes things happen. His athleticism is obvious, he seemingly has go go gadget arms and has strong hands in a contest, which of course is what you need at TAC level to be any chance at AFL level.

He's certainly a long way off as a midfielder, the repeat efforts around a contest are lacking and his play below his knees is poor.

His kicking is interesting. He takes risks and pulls a lot of them off. Ball drop is a bit high and therefore he doesn't lace it out but he certainly makes things happen and doesn't blaze away.

Yeah he's a bit of a risky prospect with plenty of development to do but at the same time I think he has a heap of potential and natural ability. We've got Brendan McCartney for a reason and if he can't sink his teeth in to this bloke and make him a footballer then no one can.

Pick 3 might be too high, but if he's still there at pick 7 I'd be keen.

ah yes, but would you consider Weideman @ P-3; then Curnow, or other, at P-8

I heard this morning that Curnow is unlikely to make it past the Bombers, who will take whoever of Curnow or Parish is there at pick 4 and probably Wielderman at 5, they see Curnow as a big bodied mid.

I heard this morning that Curnow is unlikely to make it past the Bombers, who will take whoever of Curnow or Parish is there at pick 4 and probably Wielderman at 5, they see Curnow as a big bodied mid.

Essendon won't take both Curnow and Wideman at 4 & 5.

• Like 1

Why not?

I just don't see it happening.. Banking on two tall players, one of them a potential forward mid I feel will be too risky for them.

• Like 1

Seems risky for Essendon to take a KPF and a tall player who might be a midfielder but hasn't really tested the theory... You'd think they would want a true midfielder with one of those picks. I'd be surprised if they took both Weideman and Curnow.

I'm convinced they wanted Parish. They're probably the only club that needs class in the middle more urgently than us.

Ahh, top 5 draft pick politics. Good to be back in the game!

• Like 2

I just don't see it happening.. Banking on two tall players, one of them a potential forward mid I feel will be too risky for them.

I can clearly see why they would draft Weideman and Curnow. Curnow would be the ideal replacement for Watson when he retires and the fact he can play up naturally is definitely an exciting prospect.

Drafting Weideman would set their forward line up for the next 10 years next to Daniher. A lead up CH would work well with Daniher/Hogan..

• Like 1

Seems risky for Essendon to take a KPF and a tall player who might be a midfielder but hasn't really tested the theory... You'd think they would want a true midfielder with one of those picks. I'd be surprised if they took both Weideman and Curnow.

I'm convinced they wanted Parish. They're probably the only club that needs class in the middle more urgently than us.

Ahh, top 5 draft pick politics. Good to be back in the game!

I'm in the same boat

https://vimeo.com/136785936

Long video highlights

OK, I probably look stupid, I haven't seen him before. What no. is he. Bit difficult without commentary. I thought he might have been 42 but then I realised he is rucking.

OK, I probably look stupid, I haven't seen him before. What no. is he. Bit difficult without commentary. I thought he might have been 42 but then I realised he is rucking.

Yes that's him, number 42.

I watched all of the 27 minutes and feel I have a better understanding of this player. It's still only a snippet, but it's enough to start forming an opinion.

He won't cut it in the AFL as a pure midfielder, so forget drafting him as one. He's just not sharp and clean enough around congestion. At one point when he had to handball left-handed he clumsily fabricated an awkward dish-off with the right. He needs time in congestion that elite midfielders just don't get in the AFL. I appreciate he'll become better in the application of these aspects in an AFL environment, but I can't imagine he'll ever be strong enough to make it his full-time role.

One can fall into the trap of concentrating on what a player isn't good at and not what they are good at. Notwithstanding the above, he's got a really good footy brain. He doesn't get too rushed and often waited until the last moment to execute the best option. This was noticeable on numerous occasions.

He's a good lead up player, moves well with good pace and agility and looks a natural forward. When the ball is on the deck in the forward-line he'll still be dangerous, because he's had that midfield background and can be creative by hand. He's not as good a contested mark as Hogan, who is, but he's still strong overhead. He actually looks a hulking figure despite not being overly tall. But he's no Stringer. Having seen this extended footage there's no similarity. He actually looks like a more athletic and faster Paddy McCartin.

I can imagine him complementing Hogan well and can see them teaming together. But I don't know if he's the best available key forward at pick 7. I too wouldn't take him at 3, but wouldn't be averse at 7. I haven't seen Weideman, who some think is also a great prospect. I suspect one of the two will be there at 7, so it will be interesting to see how things unfold.

I can't imagine Essendon taking both Francis and Curnow, because neithers best position is midfield and they're desperate for midfield talent.

I doubt Curnow will play more than 5 or 6 games in 2016, whoever he plays for.

Agree with all of this.

Having watched these highlights it reinforces how brilliantly Mahoney & Co performed in trade week. It was genious doing those deals to get 3. These highlights show Parish is the best pure midfielder in this draft. After that you have to probably go to Mathieson and you wouldn't call him an elite top 10 player. We wouldn't have got a top 10 quality midfielder at pick 6, that's for sure. IMO no way in the world would you use 3 on a decent half forward flanker like Curnow and not get the best midfielder. Essendon must have been spewing when we got 3. What a pleasure.

Not sure why Curnow keeps being called a KPF. At 191 he's a flanker. Nowadays a KPF is 194+. Darlings the same height, is a great HFF, kicked 39 goals this year but he's not a KPF as was proven in the GF where he wasn't tall enough to win contested marks.

You can see why this draft is rated as a weak one. Everyone other than the top 2 have issues. Parish short and slight compared to say Brayshaw who was the best pure midfielder last year. I really don't know who'll be available at 7 but have confidence Taylor & Co will pick the best available for our needs. Would be happy with Curnow and from what I've heard Weideman if either is still there. Fact is that pick is going to have an element of speculation no matter who it is, as there aren't any standout's after Parish.

Edited by It's Time
  • Like 2