FAREWELL DANIEL CROSS

La Dee-vina Comedia

Daniel Cross

39 possessions

Not offer new contract

Jimmy Toumpas

Can't get a game

Offered 2 year contract

FMD no wonder we are cellar dwellers. Rewarding mediocrity time and time again.

What can I say?

Youre a credit to yourself , your family and the game

may we be blessed with more "lemons" like you Daniel.

• Like 1

Top Bloke.

I reckon he'll surprise a few and finish top 5 in the B&F this year. I just wish a few of other guys would take note of his attitude and application

Tough call but I think the correct call. His best position is on the ball and we need to give the younger guys exposure next year.

• Like 1

Congratulations Crossy on a wonderful career, and thank you for your contribution over the past two years. If there were 20 other players on the teamsheet each week who worked as hard as you and Nathan Jones do to get the best out of themselves, we wouldn't be in our current predicament. I wish you all the best for your future.

Sadly, though, the game has passed you by and your lack of leg speed and dubious disposal have become a liability. Whilst some will look at possession stats and suggest that you were worthy of a new contract, the reality is that teams pay you no respect because they know you won't hurt them with ball in hand. Therefore you are allowed to pay loose in defence racking up the touches, whilst your opponent causes more damage with half the touches elsewhere.

I said at the start of the year that if you were in our best 22 by season's end, it would be a fair sign that we had failed to progress as a club. Here we are six months later and you will probably finish top 5 in the B&F again, and the side is still uncompetitive most weeks. Once again, the onus is on our young midfielders to step over the pre season and become quality AFL players. If that doesn't happen, so help us Tom Cruise.

• Like 3

I can't and I'd be appreciative if you could explain it to me. He clearly wanted to play on, he would have been told it was possible he'd play the end of his career at Casey and it's just a convenient excuse to say "we want him to finish on top". That's his decision.

Leadership, experience, courage, professionalism and most of all he's clearly in our best 22 at present. If he isn't (in the best 22) next year he'd play at Casey and we've kept him for our last pick in the ND.

Surely it can't be for LM issues. I count at least 8 players I don't want on the list and another 6 or 7 I'd trade for a reasonable offer.

Makes no sense to me but that's not uncommon. I think it's a poor decision.

I've got mixed feelings about this 'Bob', there are many who could & should go before Crossy...

• Like 1

Daniel Cross

39 possessions

Not offer new contract

Jimmy Toumpas

Can't get a game

Offered 2 year contract

FMD no wonder we are cellar dwellers. Rewarding mediocrity time and time again.

Daniel Cross 33 when next season starts.

Jimmy Toumpas 22.

Cross had 39 touches as a loose man in the backline, most of which were after the game was already won and he had been caught with the ball multiple times. Are you a footy watcher or stats watcher? Was a decent game, but he has gotten slower as the year has gone on.

• Like 3

Leadership, experience, courage, professionalism and most of all he's clearly in our best 22 at present. If he isn't (in the best 22) next year he'd play at Casey and we've kept him for our last pick in the ND.

Fair summary.

And well done Crossy. The number of times I've seen him throw himself in front of a pack descending on him, to take an intercept mark, with the possibility of a career-ending bunch of broken ribs or worse resulting. Terrific example.

• Like 2

Totally unexpected for me. The guy is topping the "time on ground" list for us regularly this year. Had we shown him the door last year, for example, it would be 22 cumulative games or so more that we'd have seen from Matt Jones, Bail, McKenzie et al. The club must be bullish about our midfield prospects, or very bearish about his physical condition. In either case I'm taken completely by surprise, but have no choice but to trust they know what they're doing.

I wish him well and thank him for two years of excellent service.

• Like 9

I can't and I'd be appreciative if you could explain it to me. He clearly wanted to play on, he would have been told it was possible he'd play the end of his career at Casey and it's just a convenient excuse to say "we want him to finish on top". That's his decision.

Surely it can't be for LM issues. I count at least 8 players I don't want on the list and another 6 or 7 I'd trade for a reasonable offer.

The thinking would surround list spots and perhaps this buys a chance to be taken on Fitzpatrick for another year or Riley, or Michie, or Hunt - perhaps the club doesn't want to pay out Matt Jones (I can't see them not paying out Terlich). If they want to upgrade 2 from the RL and take 4 at the draft then 6 will need to be delisted. I could think of a way of balancing delisting to get him another year though...

We won't know it's a bad decision for a while though - I understood the Junior McDonald decision as well, but it was a bad one.

But at the end of the day - he only had a year left and the role he was playing was one that I would prefer Salem or another kid to play off a HBF. His intangibles around the club are what I liked the most so I hope that he does stay around in some capacity.

• Like 1

I'm surprised at those condemning the decision. As a spectator it may appear premature, but do any of us know enough non-public detail to condemn it? None of us know what the medical prospects are or what other plans the club may have. Despite our recent history, I'm still more inclined to trust the judgment of the pros over us armchair players.

• Like 2

I'm surprised at those condemning the decision. As a spectator it may appear premature, but do any of us know enough non-public detail to condemn it? None of us know what the medical prospects are or what other plans the club may have. Despite our recent history, I'm still more inclined to trust the judgment of the pros over us armchair players.

And that is your prerogative - but just watching his performance and attitude compared to others at the club - he looked to be ahead of others 'in the gun' so to speak.

• Like 1

i dont really want to trust some of the decisions...I have to trust them...as some are....odd...alas...what is ...is

I did say on another thread that I had retired him after the Norf game but I was impressed with the way he put in last week.

It is time, though. He had been very good for us, but he is slow and his kicking is not up to scratch.

It seems he has been a very good role model for the kids in terms of application.

Well done and thanks Crossy.

• Like 2

Curious if Adcock has a role to play in this? Or less specifically, the club is going to recruit another senior player being released by their current club, and we decided we couldn't have Cross on the list as well?

Edited by Lamashtu

Absolutely filthy at this decision. Easily had one more left in him,such a Melbourne trait to do this to player who gave his all even in the short two years. Not to mention racked up 39 last week. Was playing solid in the backline and with the likelihood of Howe leaving would of been handy next year.

• Like 1

I probably would have preferred to keep Crossy on another year too, but it depends who we've got lined up for next year.

The thinking would surround list spots and perhaps this buys a chance to be taken on Fitzpatrick for another year or Riley, or Michie, or Hunt - perhaps the club doesn't want to pay out Matt Jones (I can't see them not paying out Terlich). If they want to upgrade 2 from the RL and take 4 at the draft then 6 will need to be delisted. I could think of a way of balancing delisting to get him another year though...

We won't know it's a bad decision for a while though - I understood the Junior McDonald decision as well, but it was a bad one.

But at the end of the day - he only had a year left and the role he was playing was one that I would prefer Salem or another kid to play off a HBF. His intangibles around the club are what I liked the most so I hope that he does stay around in some capacity.

I struggle with the list management side of things.

Delist (I don't want these bloke on the list): Bail, McKenzie, Terlich, Riley, Michie, Jamar, M Jones, Newton (can't run, no heart), Lumumba (can't get it, can't use it)

Tradeable: Watts, Toump, Grimes, Howe, Spencer, Fitzy, Dawes, Kennedy Harris

Undecided: Hunt, Pedersen

Promote: King, AVB, Harmes (one year contract but could easily be delisted - can't kick and no tank)

Retained Rookies: White

That view is ignoring contracts and it's a moving feast because one decision impacts another but IMO there are multiple spaces on the list. I also know some aren't going to be moved on but I'd have Cross ahead of any of the delist group and undecided group. Honestly if MFC are relying on any in the delist group we're not going anywhere. I'd happily pay a large part of Lumumba's salary to go elsewhere.

If Cross was happy to play at Casey for the season (in a worst case scenario for him) I'd have kept him.

Oh, and what an interesting use of the word "retired". He was sacked/delisted.

Edited by Baghdad Bob

The club report says he has been offered a role in the footy dept retired from playing.

while that is obviously a difficult emotional decision for a player it can also be a positive.

today I would be making the players understand as Roos did that they must play to respect a player who got the most out of what he had. I would be saying to all the boys this will be a test of them. Then when he returns as coach he can have some greater authority knowing who will play for him.

Time for the club to use this opportunity not waste it.

The interesting thing was his emotion which obviously affected his delivery. Again that was a positive but he may need some speech training if he is to deliver confidence messages in the future.

I have only good things to say about Daniel Cross he has added to the Melbourne club hope we do not forget that contribution.

• Like 2

The club report says he has been offered a role in the footy dept retired from playing.

while that is obviously a difficult emotional decision for a player it can also be a positive.

today I would be making the players understand as Roos did that they must play to respect a player who got the most out of what he had. I would be saying to all the boys this will be a test of them. Then when he returns as coach he can have some greater authority knowing who will play for him.

Time for the club to use this opportunity not waste it.

The interesting thing was his emotion which obviously affected his delivery. Again that was a positive but he may need some speech training if he is to deliver confidence messages in the future.

I have only good things to say about Daniel Cross he has added to the Melbourne club hope we do not forget that contribution.

id give him some slack for his delivery !!

• Like 2

Curious if Adcock has a role to play in this? Or less specifically, the club is going to recruit another senior player being released by their current club, and we decided we couldn't have Cross on the list as well?

I hope not, would rather give youngsters games than recruit players who are over the hill

This is the only reason I can think of for this decision.

It's not as if the factors that Cross brings to the team are speed and elite disposal which he's now lost. We brought him to the club for his professionalism, his application, his leadership, his willingness to have a go no matter what, and his ability to do the jobs that are asked of him, no matter how tough they are. These factors certainly haven't diminished in his game. It's not as if someone else has stepped up in the professionalism-leadership-toughness area as the season has progressed. And without Cross we'll be severely deficient in these factors when next season starts.

Somebody said a few posts ago that he got shown up against Harvey's pace. The fact that Roos had to resort to such a horrible mismatch against someone who could so easily exploit his well-known limitations such as Harvey makes it glaringly obvious that there was nobody better on our list that he could turn to. Roos knew that those on our list who are a far better physical match for the likes of Harvey would have done far worse.

And that's what bothers me. Next year we still won't have anyone better to do the tough jobs. And we'll still get run off our feet by well-drilled ordinary teams like Norf.

The Bulldogs supporters were equally gutted 2 years ago in losing Crossy. Probably more so. Ultimate professional who gets the best out of himself. I find this one a poor decision on face value of what he offers to the Mfc, not just off field - but on it!

I can't explain the clubs decision.

Cross sets an example, just as his speech to the players, indicates. Hard working, humble, even when told his time has 'come around, full circle.'

Cheers, Crossy. Thanks for your professionalism.

• Like 4