Sam Blease Retires

There's a difference between having had a couple of minor concussions with no ill effects and having concussion issues. From what I've heard/read the issues and subsequent retirement are the result of the one incident.

I agree that it's sad to hear about how bad his concussion issues were, I wouldn't wish that on anybody. And I think he was spot on in his appraisal of both clubs and said things that we already know are true.

However he also didn't get the best out of his abilities and didn't work as hard as he should have on the flaws in his game. That, coupled with the concussions issues, all contributed to him not being able to play AFL at it's highest level.

I wish him all the best in the future and hope there are no long term medical issues for him.

I agree that it's sad to hear about how bad his concussion issues were, I wouldn't wish that on anybody. And I think he was spot on in his appraisal of both clubs and said things that we already know are true.

However he also didn't get the best out of his abilities and didn't work as hard as he should have on the flaws in his game. That, coupled with the concussions issues, all contributed to him not being able to play AFL at it's highest level.

I wish him all the best in the future and hope there are no long term medical issues for him.

There were clearly flaws in his game, just thought bringing them up after he has just been forced to quit the game he loves was a bit harsh.

• Like 1

There were clearly flaws in his game, just thought bringing them up after he has just been forced to quit the game he loves was a bit harsh.

No it's not, it's being honest. If he loved the game so much he would have worked harder, something he admits he didn't do.

There's a difference between having had a couple of minor concussions with no ill effects and having concussion issues. From what I've heard/read the issues and subsequent retirement are the result of the one incident.

actually chronic concussion is generally regarded as an accumulative condition with each preceding concussion damage adding to the total

• Like 1

Would a jerk have a go at a poster for showing a lack of respect when the poster made a point that was very similar to what Sam said?

Rhetorical question of course

And would a jerk point score to point out another poster point scoring?

Again, rhetorical.

Sorry, maybe let me know next time you're writing a rhetorical question then hey?

(The above is one too by the way)

Well actually it's not Snitch. You are asking for an answer -" let me know next time"- therefore it's not rhetorical.

Now I know understanding that will be beyond you Snitch so try and just accept your ignorance and , for once don't make an even bigger dick of yourself.

You are just a poor dumb [censored] - accept it.

actually chronic concussion is generally regarded as an accumulative condition with each preceding concussion damage adding to the total

Yep, fair call. I was more meaning that it was this one particular bad one that seemed to be the career ender after nothing "worse than normal" previously.

Turns out he had actually copped a pretty big one in the preseason too:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/sam-blease-tells-of-memory-loss-and-headaches-that-ended-his-professional-sports-career/story-fniv677w-1227510316608

My main point is, sure he didn't make it, but you read stuff like this and you have to feel for the bloke.

I've said it a few times and will again. Players like Blease and Gysberts would have been long-term AFL players if they went to a club that wasn't such a basket case. Our recruiting and development strategy/model over the period relevant to these 2 players was an unforgiveable shambles. We stuffed up some bloody good careers. Yes Sam Blease had almost no defensive side to his game at all. At the start of there careers neither did Gary Ablett jnr , Job Watson, Adam Goodes or Chris Judd. It can be taught through player development. Just not at MFC during that period.

I heard most of the Blease interview and I was fairly impressed with him. He had no axe to grind. He seemed to be in a good healthy psychological condition (concussion injuries are physical) and so felt free to asnwer questions exactly as he saw them, without having to worry how his answers would impact his club or career. And he was spot on about the monstrous pattern of delisting leaders at MFC.

I hope life turns out well for him.

• Like 1

Yep, fair call. I was more meaning that it was this one particular bad one that seemed to be the career ender after nothing "worse than normal" previously.

Turns out he had actually copped a pretty big one in the preseason too:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/sam-blease-tells-of-memory-loss-and-headaches-that-ended-his-professional-sports-career/story-fniv677w-1227510316608

My main point is, sure he didn't make it, but you read stuff like this and you have to feel for the bloke.

He may have copped a bad hit or two to the head, but his days on an AFL list were numbered regardless. The cats would likely delist him at the end of his current gig, as we did at the end of his last with us. Feel for him? No more than any other average player that we wasted a first round pick on. Maybe I'm not the sensitive type like you Snitch. That's fine.

It was too late by then. On a related note a player deemed not good enough for the dees may well play in a grand final.

When you think about it Binman, there's a number of players this finals campaign that you could argue that we deemed "not good enough" in some form. There's also been past players that we've felt that way about too.

Sad interview. He sounds pretty fragile actually.

Short term memory loss at his age...bloody hell!

He's losing his keys, his phone...

He has made a decision for his long term health.

It's quite insightful to hear him talk about the inability to learn from leaders because Junior, Greeny, Cam Bruce got the boot..."If your leaders are changing every year...it's hard to get consistency and continuity."

"Grimesy and Jack T...that was all we had when we got rid of Brett Moloney...Beamer was great for the MFC he bled red and blue."

Who can argue with any of that...and he clearly has a lot of affection for his mates still with us.

He also said Bails never had the chance to play people in the position's he wanted. Must have meant they needed to mature before they could take the responsibility of the job's they were drafted for.

Anyway, he's gone up a long way in my estimation.

Edited by pitmaster
  • Like 2

He may have copped a bad hit or two to the head, but his days on an AFL list were numbered regardless. The cats would likely delist him at the end of his current gig, as we did at the end of his last with us. Feel for him? No more than any other average player that we wasted a first round pick on. Maybe I'm not the sensitive type like you Snitch. That's fine.

I feel for him because he can never again play the sport he loves.

But you know, you're sah tough on the internet so you don't have feelings hey BBO's little galpal...

It was too late by then. On a related note a player deemed not good enough for the dees may well play in a grand final.

I find it pretty hard to accept that at 21, Gysberts was beyond redemption. North Melbourne would have taken him on the assumption that he was a talented player who had been "Melbourned", so if he was good enough they'd have persevered. He was given the boot after his first contract and if I recall, didn't play a game.

There's no magic development that happens between 18 and 21 that can't happen afterwards if the player is talented and driven enough. Gysberts clearly wasn't. I wholly reject the idea that it's ever too late to develop a player.

• Like 5

Sad interview. He sounds pretty fragile actually.

Short term memory loss at his age...bloody hell!

He's losing his keys, his phone...

He has made a decision for his long term health.

It's quite insightful to hear him talk about the inability to learn from leaders because Junior, Greeny, Cam Bruce got the boot..."If your leaders are changing every year...it's hard to get consistency and continuity."

"Grimesy and Jack T...that was all we had when we got rid of Brett Moloney...Beamer was great for the MFC he bled red and blue."

Who can argue with any of that...and he clearly has a lot of affection for his mates still with us.

He also said Bails never had the chance to play people in the position's he wanted. Must have meant they needed to mature before they could take the responsibility of the job's they were drafted for.

Anyway, he's gone up a long way in my estimation.

The real problem with the departures of McDonald, Bruce and Green was not that they left when they did but that there were no obvious leadership contenders to replace them. We're still a bit thin of the ground and probably will be for about 2-3 more years by which time those who seem to have obvious leadership capabilities (ie, Viney) are mature enough to take on the responsibility.