Colin Garland

stevethemanjordan

Colin Garland - Keep or Let go?  

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Seriously, I am not just being a pr1ck for the sake of it (I'm a pr1ck generally speaking, but on this occasion not just for the sake of it). Can you answer me this? Of what REAL value is a player with the attributes you have described above? You are saying, basically, that he is a good bloke. I am saying that the contribution of his on-field performances is less than OUR best 22. Extend that to the top 4 and you are nowhere near. Add three years of age and you are having a laugh. This is one of those arguments that cannot be resolved but I would argue that a player's positive contribution to club culture (read: 'good blokeism') is far, far, far less important than what that player contributes on the field. If the opposite were true, the MFC would have ME on their list, cos despite the fact I am a horrible footballer, I truly am a fantastic bloke and therefore deserve a 3 year contract for what I bring to the table as a bloke. My opponent would kick 30 but I would have some choice words in the changerooms don't worry about that.

How is the rest of the list somehow bolstered by the fact that Garland is supposedly some great clubman? Not that I have seen a SCINTILLA of evidence to suggest that he actually IS, by the way. I see a very ordinary footballer with the demeanor of someone waiting a bus stop, who has been instrumental in leaking goals that have led to massive beltings over the last 10 years. With every 50 points we lose by his seeming ability to 'give a rat's' does not change. You know how it has been discussed that our horrific recent past has left 'scars' and 'damage' on our players? THIS is the guy. This is him. You can see it on his face the way he is about to cry when he gets the ball, and refuses to do anything positive or creative with it. The amount of times per season where I have said 'great work Garlo' is less than the amount of times you are able to watch a full eclipse of the moon. If he is so positive for 'culture' can you please weigh that up for me against the negatives associated with his direct opponent, whoever that may be, having a goal bonanza on any given (probably) Sunday, and us losing yet another football match?

Now before you label me the FWit that I am, please read my post carefully and tell me which part of it is inaccurate. Thank you.

Which parts a wrong? He is best 22, has been for years and still is. Just look at the b&f results.

You also say he adds no leadership, this ignores the different types of leaders there are and the different personalities that respond to different leadership. I am someone who doesn't respond at all to the ra ra bum slapping BS that goes on in football teams, it is a massive part of why I stopped playing. I suspect Garlo is the same. I respond to the quiet thinking types who can offer some sort of wisdom through intellect. There would be players in the side who are the same. Garlo may well be able to offer this and provide a quiet guiding hand rather than the loud obvious leadership often on display.

In terms of culture, I am not sure how having someone committed to helping the club above all else could possibly be seen as a bad thing. Commitment to the club should be paramount above all else, that is what he has shown.

Edited by Chris
  • Like 2

I personally believe a contract offer of two years would of got the deal done. Going of Howe's situation it's safe to assume Garland isn't cashing in by hanging around. Roos showed this year if young players are ready he will play them. Garland would be under no illusion about what's required. He said his bit now he needs to back it up.

When Garland had his navicular issues a few years ago, he asked to be involved in the scouting of the next draft class and attended junior games and the nat champs.

That's above and beyond in my eyes, that's an example of his character and desire to help the club.

I hope that is a SCINTILLA, C&B, but I will let you decide...

Anyone else have any anecdotes?

Make C&B feel better...

• Like 6

The guy who finished seventh in our best and fairest just signed on for three years, basically committing to finish his career with us. Impressions are that he is not on any grand amount of coin, either. He has given a glowing endorsement of the club, its new coaching group and the younger players coming through.

We all know his main deficiency. Yet, so does he -

I know that I’ve got a great relationship with my line coach, Jade Rawlings. Simon Goodwin has come in and he’s a great offensive coach, which I know I need to keep working on – in terms of that side of my game. http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-10-07/we-now-have-premiership-players-garland

So exactly what is the point of the endless supply of hate-rants about him?

Some people need to pack up their ego and poorly-handled emotions and move on.

• Like 9

I know that I’ve got a great relationship with my line coach, Jade Rawlings. Simon Goodwin has come in and he’s a great offensive coach, which I know I need to keep working on – in terms of that side of my game. http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-10-07/we-now-have-premiership-players-garland

Pleasing to read that. He's identified the side of the game that needs serious work on as I previously highlighted. He had some offensive drive early on in his career, but as the team crept into the abyss, the lack of confidence offensively not just as an individual but from a team perspective as well was and is evident. The positive is it can be turned around with a stronger and more confident team to continue to take risks and not go into their shell.

• Like 1

I always point to what Garland did in 2013 when Frawley went down with a pec (?) and Dunn was still a hack forward. He played a traditional CHB role and absolutely monstered a bunch of power forwards. He is a competitive animal, a good leader, and very versatile. His kicking lets him down sometimes, but only because we know he can do better than TMac does. Truth be told, and I have said this for years, he needs to be playing tall to get the most out of himself. Than again, how good is it having a guy who can comfortably take bigs and smalls with minimum fuss? Delighted he has signed, he reminds me of a slightly better Michael Firrito and he's played 250+ and counting.

• Like 4

When Garland had his navicular issues a few years ago, he asked to be involved in the scouting of the next draft class and attended junior games and the nat champs.

That's above and beyond in my eyes, that's an example of his character and desire to help the club.

I hope that is a SCINTILLA, C&B, but I will let you decide...

Anyone else have any anecdotes?

Make C&B feel better...

Or when he was drafted by us, he got together every book on the club that he could find and read them all. Your average player doesn't do that.

• Like 3

I always point to what Garland did in 2013 when Frawley went down with a pec (?) and Dunn was still a hack forward. He played a traditional CHB role and absolutely monstered a bunch of power forwards. He is a competitive animal, a good leader, and very versatile. His kicking lets him down sometimes, but only because we know he can do better than TMac does. Truth be told, and I have said this for years, he needs to be playing tall to get the most out of himself. Than again, how good is it having a guy who can comfortably take bigs and smalls with minimum fuss? Delighted he has signed, he reminds me of a slightly better Michael Firrito and he's played 250+ and counting.

If its the season I'm thinking of he absolutely wiped the floor with Franklin, Reiwoldt etc.

The biggest part of that is that its when all of those power forwards were in their prime.

I do loyalty. I do Melbourne. Forever.

I'm Melbourne at this stage,Tony, I'm Melbourne....I'm Melbourne, and I'm Melbourne through and through. - Norm Smith, 1965.

Perhaps Col has the same role models that most of us here do.

• Like 1

Pleasing to read that. He's identified the side of the game that needs serious work on as I previously highlighted. He had some offensive drive early on in his career, but as the team crept into the abyss, the lack of confidence offensively not just as an individual but from a team perspective as well was and is evident. The positive is it can be turned around with a stronger and more confident team to continue to take risks and not go into their shell.

I know it's only one example but I think this also shows the improvement across the club in the players taking further responsibility for their own game and understanding what they need to work on to improve. The footy department have brought it up throughout the year and the above quote is a little proof that it's sinking in for the players.

If its the season I'm thinking of he absolutely wiped the floor with Franklin, Reiwoldt etc.

The biggest part of that is that its when all of those power forwards were in their prime.

What I like about Garland is his ability to play tall. Most games he takes well more pack marks down the flanks compared to Howe's Mark of the Century nomination fly.

really pleased he's staying.

What I like about Garland is his ability to play tall. Most games he takes well more pack marks down the flanks compared to Howe's Mark of the Century nomination fly.

really pleased he's staying.

That's just not true. Howe took 22 contested marks compared to Garland's 10. OK, great bloke who loves the club, but let's not stretch the truth when it comes to his performance. He needs to improve or he should be out of the team.

• Like 2

I still like him and I think it's valuable to keep a club veteran, but I lost some faith in him this year. Can't recall him shutting down an opponent and he really didn't stand up to pressure when it counted. Could it be because Dunn and McDonald usually took the 2 talls and he's not that damaging a rebounder? I've seen much better form but it remains to be seen whether he can stop leaking goals at crucial times, because someone has to if we're going to get to the next level

• Like 1

I still like him and I think it's valuable to keep a club veteran, but I lost some faith in him this year. Can't recall him shutting down an opponent and he really didn't stand up to pressure when it counted. Could it be because Dunn and McDonald usually took the 2 talls and he's not that damaging a rebounder? I've seen much better form but it remains to be seen whether he can stop leaking goals at crucial times, because someone has to if we're going to get to the next level

His decision making is the bigger concern for me. He really does play reactive, dumb footy at times. I'd love to see him play forward next year. I reckon he could offer us something up there.

Edited by AdamFarr

I was impressed in the GWS game and one of NT games, I think port, when we were being slaughtered he seemed to be only one who was desperate and winning one an ones in the backline. Certainly saved a for more goals on this occasions. Agree though that his rebounding would be great if it was like it used to be.