Chris Dawes

Skuit

Sadly C & B that is the world of professional sport.

You get paid big bucks to perform.

If you don't live up to the Hype than you are discarded as quickly as the contract will allow.

Of course this is true, but it is not a measure of effort or ability, it is a measure of expectation.

I think you're exaggerating. It's a forum, where people discuss the performances of players etc. Here, you're destined to get a few headcases and extremists but for the most part, the criticism is level and fair.

Dawes has not been doing as much as he could be for the most part of the season, that's a fact.

Edit: Do you think in his time at Melbourne, he has justified his contract (which is probably $500K plus)?

All anyone should need to know is that Roos picks him every single week because he understands football and the importance of this player for our club at this point in time

But some people feel the need to come on here and bleat for him to be dropped every week, as if Roos is some clueless mug and it is they who should be coaching instead

It's annoying. Back the coach.

• Like 8

I've never understood why supporters care about what the players are paid. It has no impact on what happens once the player steps out on to the field, so why worry?

As far as I'm concerned, Josh Mahoney is there to lose sleep over player contract value so I don't have to.

Exactly - and we all know that over the last decade or so we have been such a complete mess of an organisation that in order for decent players from other clubs to agree to come here we have to bring more cash to the table. It's really simple.

• Like 2

Django, you've just illustrated the flaws and frankly personal offensive presumptions that is much of the criticism of Dawes on here. How could you possibly know he hasn't been doing as much as he could? To call it a 'fact' is indefensible. You and I have no idea whether he's giving his all, but I'm pretty sure the club has a much better idea. Whether he's 'justified' his salary is equally fraught. He is being paid the salary that market forces allowed him when he was contracted to the MFC. Justifying it depends only on him doing as much as he can, thus we come back to the original point. Any expectations of him being a better footballer, with a greater output than he is or has shown are entirely yours. And your expectations are based on WHAT knowledge of him as a man or of his innate abilities? Precious little I think.

that sounds like something joan kirner would say

it's not stretching reality much to say most supporters have been underwhelmed by dawes' on field form (regardless of how much he tries)

• Like 1

it's not stretching reality much to say most supporters have been underwhelmed by dawes' on field form (regardless of how much he tries)

That may be, and I'm not arguing it, but how does that devalue my point, and how does it justify the personal nature of the criticism toward Chris Dawes? As for the Joan Kirner comment, you're joking I presume.

That may be, and I'm not arguing it, but how does that devalue my point, and how does it justify the personal nature of the criticism toward Chris Dawes? As for the Joan Kirner comment, you're joking I presume.

Is it possible to have an opinion of any player without it being personal Webber?

I'm staggered that anyone can honestly suggest that performance shouldn't be measured against contract size.

Nobody IS arguing that.

Yes it is amazing.

I think the point is that once the contract is done the club (and we) just have to live with it - no point in costing every kick (as some humourist did on here using $cully's stats). Crying over spilt milk gets you nowhere.

of course they fly d-l. that's why i chose them - blues and flying - and the fact their species name is calliphora vomitoria

blue-bottle-flies-for-sale.jpg

eerrr,,,, disappointed dc, I thought you were calling them 'bluebottles', that rotten parasitic wasp that annoys people over the warmer months of the year.... either way a Whiteant on their blue jumpers, or a parasitic Bluebottle wasp on their red jumpers?

250px-Female_blue_ant04.jpg

same old, same old.

Gotta admit i have bagged Dawesy this year but on the weekend he was very very good for us. I just want him to do this on a regular basis.

That said in terms of what we paid for and pick we gave up (2nd round draft pick) he has been a major disappointment.

I presume you mean, the late Joan Kirner, dc? if I'm not mistaken. & what would she say?

I wonder what impact Dawes' personality has with his working relationship with Hogan? One thing I've noticed is that they never get in each others way - I put this down to both mutual smarts and Dawes' awareness of his place in the world.

He says himself that Hogan is #1 and he's a battler, but accepts it and doesn't lose confidence from it. It's an admirable personality trait.

Please, this is completely wrong. Dawes has jumped in front of Hogan on several occasions.

Exactly - and we all know that over the last decade or so we have been such a complete mess of an organisation that in order for decent players from other clubs to agree to come here we have to bring more cash to the table. It's really simple.

And yet you called Davey a dog for holding out for a 4 year contract....

Dawesy is one of those blokes that needs a few weeks back after an injury before he starts to hit his straps. Unfortunately he's been injured quite a lot. If he can remain injury free he'll play good footy for us - like he has the last couple of weeks.

• Like 1

I've never understood why supporters care about what the players are paid. It has no impact on what happens once the player steps out on to the field, so why worry?

As far as I'm concerned, Josh Mahoney is there to lose sleep over player contract value so I don't have to.

Paul Roos is there to lose sleep over the performance of the team too 'Nasher', but I think a few of us still do as well.

Please, this is completely wrong. Dawes has jumped in front of Hogan on several occasions.

Dawes playing up the ground allows Hogan to be a target in the 50.

If it wasn't for Dawes being able to provide a target across HF - Hogan would have to constantly chase kicks up the wing.

• Like 1

Contracts can be used an indicator sure, but then the consideration of who was on our list at the time he signed the contract and no doubt it was heavily front ended due to the state of our list. The fact that we need to pay certain percentages of our salary cap is also a fair indicator of why he recieved so much. Has he been worth the cash, no due to his chronic injuries, but there is no doubt that he has steadily improved and depsite not hitting the scoreboard, in the last month of football, even 5 weeks he has been able to play pretty solid football and has been a really important contributor to the team.

Whilst people say "you can get anyone to play his role" or how multiple players can do the unrewarded running or constantly present and have more of an impact than him, the fact is the way our list is we do not have that available and not many clubs throughout the AFL have two star key position forwards.

He is an important player to our structure and our team improving over the next few years, until we can find a viable replacement, we need him fit and on the park as much as possible.

• Like 2

I think your post illustrates your poor understanding of the concept of "getting in another forward's way"...

It's not about contesting for the same mark - if you're in the vicinity, you should be expected to contest regardless of the circumstances.

It's about not interfering with your teammate's leading patterns and maintaining space between you, rather than dragging your defender close to another forward, allowing a 3rd man up or "help defence" when it goes to him.

• Like 1

Dawesy is one of those blokes that needs a few weeks back after an injury before he starts to hit his straps. Unfortunately he's been injured quite a lot. If he can remain injury free he'll play good footy for us - like he has the last couple of weeks.

Really? Because last year coming straight back in against Adelaide he kicked 3 and was close to BOG

• Like 1