Round 18 - non-MFC games.

KingDingAling

Richmond work so hard to support each other at the contest and they always have numbers at the drop of the bal

We do neither and thats why we still suck

I don't think we can narrow it down to just the two things HH. Handballing to a player under the pump and failing to spot up a player metres in the clear would probably make the top ten reasons we suck list. But we'll roll the Pies.

The umpiring was pathetic in both directions. Although I hate Hawthorn I don't like Richmond either and wasn't too fussed who would win, so I don't think I had the usual problem supporters have with thinking their team was hard done by the umpires. If anything I think Richmond got the better of it.

I reckon Gunston(?) got that free for holding the ball near the end for no other reason than a clear free to Hawthorn was missed just before. Deliberate out of bounds was a joke. But the worst was paying in the back when a player was tackled properly but in the end the tackler was over his back. No push involved. You can toss a coin as what is going to be paid most of the time. I'd hate to have to explain the rules to a foreigner. No wonder it is so hard to expand the game in NSW.

• Like 1

The umpiring was pathetic in both directions. Although I hate Hawthorn I don't like Richmond either and wasn't too fussed who would win, so I don't think I had the usual problem supporters have with thinking their team was hard done by the umpires. If anything I think Richmond got the better of it.

I reckon Gunston(?) got that free for holding the ball near the end for no other reason than a clear free to Hawthorn was missed just before. Deliberate out of bounds was a joke. But the worst was paying in the back when a player was tackled properly but in the end the tackler was over his back. No push involved. You can toss a coin as what is going to be paid most of the time. I'd hate to have to explain the rules to a foreigner. No wonder it is so hard to expand the game in NSW.

Agree on all counts. The picking and choosing of deliberates was particularly perplexing. Deledio just walked the ball over the line minutes earlier, under no pressure, and the umps can't wait for a stoppage and throw-in. The most minute chance to penalise Hawthorn though? Deliberate!

That "in the back" call was an absolute joke, and the fact that umpires can interpret 4 or 5 different potential free kicks from the one incident leaves the game far too open for mass confusion and umpiring favourtism.

A... relatively senior MFC personality told me earlier this week that the umpires had "absolutely no f***ing clue" after our Saints match, and after tonight it's hard to disagree.

LOL

Did anyone just see the Clarko presser? Teed off on Carey after a laughable Mark Stevens "interrogation" about Frawley.

Boy, oh boy, was that some telly! Glad I stayed up. Carey's body language afterwards was absolutely priceless.

LOL

Did anyone just see the Clarko presser? Teed off on Carey after a laughable Mark Stevens "interrogation" about Frawley.

Boy, oh boy, was that some telly! Glad I stayed up. Carey's body language afterwards was absolutely priceless.

What was he teeing off on Carey about?

What was he teeing off on Carey about?

The moronic statement last Friday night about Mitchell probably not getting a game in the ones at 17 other clubs. Probably the dumbest thing Duck's said since, well... we shouldn't go there.

As for Wayne's priceless response after the presser (while shifting uncomfortably in his chair)? "Well, Clarko, I called Mitchell and apologised, so... you've got... your team lost tonight! Get over it!" All to rapturous laughter from his equally braindead commentating cohorts at Seven.

Edited by Lamashtu

How the hell did we beat Richmond (and Geelong and Fottascray for that matter) yet succumbed to the Druggies and Saints

I take some consolation in this fact. I think it shows our gameplan stands up against some final contenders, the problem is sustaining it for 4 quarters (and learning how to kick straight!)

• Like 2

The moronic statement last Friday night about Mitchell probably not getting a game in the ones at 17 other clubs. Probably the dumbest thing Duck's said since, well... we shouldn't go there.

It has to rank as one of the stupidest things ever said on air.

I rekcon we might be able to squeeze Sam Mitchell into our midfield. It'd be tough, but I reckon we could do it...

• Like 2

As for Wayne's priceless response after the presser (while shifting uncomfortably in his chair)? "Well, Clarko, I called Mitchell and apologised, so... you've got... your team lost tonight! Get over it!" All to rapturous laughter from his equally braindead commentating cohorts at Seven.

They are the worst!

• Like 1

The dumbing down of the game by the broadcasters is a disgrace. I just roll my eyes at the gimmicks they continually invent, patronising the "stupid, unintelligent" viewers who simply can't comprehend AFL and need it spelled out to them. It's like Play School for Aussie Rules.

Funnily enough, you see no such thing in cricket, basketball, NRL, and so forth. Seven's been nothing short of a disgrace since Ten lost the rights; not having a free-to-air competitor was the worst possible situation for fans of the game. There's no competition, no need to prove themselves, no need to... I don't know... show games in the 21st Century standard that is high definition?

It has to rank as one of the stupidest things ever said on air.

I rekcon we might be able to squeeze Sam Mitchell into our midfield. It'd be tough, but I reckon we could do it...

I hate him so much it's unreasonable.

It's because he is that good- and such a brain dead happy dumbo.

Only the very stupid can go through life with a dumb drooling smile like .

He needs more pain in his life. More i say.

The other Hawk players treat him like a rookie

That is because he hasn't done anything for them yet.

Maybe they thought he would come good in 'their system'.

They are learning a 'leopard doesn't change its spots'!

On another item: does the AFL need to tighten the '20min sub on for a concussed player' rule.

Frawley went off and there was some commentary about 'when was he concussed' and there was skeptiscism as he didn't go into the rooms or do the 'usual' tests. And Hawks needed Hartung to come on to give them some speed and impact the game, which he did.

Hawthorn have developed a few tricks to stretch the rules without penalty and seriously disadvantage the opposition in that game: Gibson's stomach punches, Mitchell's knee causing corked thighs. This pseudo concussion might be another.

Hope AFL look at the Frawley temporary sub out and ask Hawks questions and check the concussion tests.

Otherwise Hawthorn will continue to stretch the rules.

Would hate to see this tactic in a 'sudden death' Final or the GF.

Clarkson got bristly when asked about it after the game.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

Great to see a side wipe that arrogant grin from Hawks faces! Players and fans!

The Tigers have risen from the ashes again, altho more impressively this year than 2014.

In both 2014 and 2015 they had bad starts in terms of W:L.

The reason I suggest is Brett Delidio! He was out injured in the first half of both and it took a while for him to impact play again.

So if he doesn't play, Tigers almost certainly lose.

He stands up week after week. We won in 2014 and 2015 when he was out. Last night he kicked the 1st 3 goals.

Take him out of play and Tigers struggle to win.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

Clarko was also asked about the 'dangerous tackle' free kick, and there was one last week as well. As he said, there is no rule in AFL for a dangerous tackle, where did it come from all of a sudden?

They just make 'em up as they go...the way of the AFL

this was probably the loss the hawks had to have on the run into the finals.

let's face it, they're still going to be top 4, and they can play anywhere and win anywhere. it makes top 2 much, much harder for them to attain - and last night's loss is a boon for fantasy players, as they won't be able to rest players on the run-in to the finals.

afl is going to be spewing if freo and meth coke do finish 1-2 tho, as subi only holds about 35k doesn't it? if four finals are held there, their coffers are going to take a massive hit.

• Like 2

Chris Dawes was on the money when he said the Hawks were vulnerable some weeks ago! And to think many on here scoffed at his comments at the time!

• Like 3

Richmond supporters have been visibly the worst supporters of any AFL team when they were down.

Amazing and interesting amount of mileage Cotchin must travel.