POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 16

Demonland

You lot need a different hobby. The team did what they had to to win. Yesterday you would have been thrilled to beat Brisbane by four goals. Today we get the win and all anyone can talk about is that it was ugly footy and we didn't win by enough? I don't know about the team, but this club certainly has some of the worst supporters in the league.

Haha.

Or generally there are a few of us who are expecting more after 8 years of the most embarrassingly bad footy the AFL has ever seen.

By all means, feel free to be content with ordinary football and ordinary wins and following an ordinary side.

I'm searching for a bit more from this club atm.

We still have a bunch of blokes who consistently turn the ball over and make shocking decisions. We're the worst skilled side in the league by a mile.

• Like 3

Haha.

Or generally there are a few of us who are expecting more after 8 years of the most embarrassingly bad footy the AFL has ever seen.

By all means, feel free to be content with ordinary football and ordinary wins and following an ordinary side.

I'm searching for a bit more from this club atm.

We still have a bunch of blokes who consistently turn the ball over and make shocking decisions. We're the worst skilled side in the league by a mile.

Did you see Brisbane today?

• Like 2

We've played better on several occasions this and last season and lost so I'm taking the win, very much Sydney 04 & early 05 in our display today ugly as but never in danger although playing like that you and the opposition are never far away.

Liking Harmes and good to see Dawes and Howe putting in decent displays, Big Maxy developing week by week and a big positive in the 2nd half of the year.

JKH is almost at the cross roads, I know it's only 2nd year but he tends to cruise a lot and really lacks a solid work ethic to get the best out of himself.

Bang on, mate. Agree with everything you say there.

Never disappointed to win but geez it was horrible to watch and would have been worse had we lost.

So u think on this form we will beat saints then?

And given the same circumstances of today's match the saints will let us kick one goal after half time if we r in a similar situation?

Very lucky to get the win and it beats losing again but it was horrific to watch.

Think we have another player in Harmes, worried about JKH.

Harmes looks a player to me too. Faded badly at times today, but that's okay. He's only playing his second game. I really like his hands. He can pinpoint a difficult handball, but manages to thread the eye of the needle and hits the target. Did it last week as well. His goal assist for Tommy Mac's second was brilliant.

FMD!! This thread is bitterer than me!! We won the [censored] game!! FFS!!

Just on this, thought it was easily the worst game Jones has played since 2013. :P He looked for the easy handball around the back the whole time, chose poor options and his disposal was ordinary. Hoping he and Vince can bring their A games next week, otherwise St Kilda will towel us up.

You lot need a different hobby. The team did what they had to to win. Yesterday you would have been thrilled to beat Brisbane by four goals. Today we get the win and all anyone can talk about is that it was ugly footy and we didn't win by enough? I don't know about the team, but this club certainly has some of the worst supporters in the league.

This is a seriously ludicrous overreaction.

Are we supposed to NOT talk about how poor we were in the second half? Are we meant to just talk in nothing but glowing terms when we win? That's not what good clubs do. Good clubs set themselves high standards irrespective of the result.

• Like 11

Bang on, mate. Agree with everything you say there.

Harmes looks a player to me too. Faded badly at times today, but that's okay. He's only playing his second game. I really like his hands. He can pinpoint a difficult handball, but manages to thread the eye of the needle and hits the target. Did it last week as well. His goal assist for Tommy Mac's second was brilliant.

Just on this, thought it was easily the worst game Jones has played since 2013. :P He looked for the easy handball around the back the whole time, chose poor options and his disposal was ordinary. Hoping he and Vince can bring their A games next week, otherwise St Kilda will towel us up.

Jones was one of the only who stood up in the 3rd quarter.

Goodwin and Macca need to put a bit of work into Dom Tyson disposal, God he wasted it a lot today, is becoming worrying.....

Hasn't even played 50 games yet. He'll improve.

I thought Stretch showed some promise off half back. Loved the look of Harmes as well.

Harmes has a go doesn't he. Looks good.

ANB to me is someone i'm just not sold on. Reminds me a lot of Grimes in the way he goes about it. Will need to watch him more before i make any sort of decision on him.

Yes I did.

It was like watching Melbourne at their worst going up against Melbourne at their second worst.

succint...and sadly true.

About the only saving grace, after collecting the 4 points, is that it could have been worse.

Suppose we can be thankful it wasn't.

Saints will be worried now undoubtedly :rolleyes:

This is a seriously ludicrous overreaction.

Are we supposed to NOT talk about how poor we were in the second half? Are we meant to just talk in nothing but glowing terms when we win? That's not what good clubs do. Good clubs set themselves high standards irrespective of the result.

I don't think anyone has said that. But have a look at some of the posts that led to that 'overreaction' - you'd think we'd been slaughtered by the worst team in the league (except we are the worst apparently).

A lot on here thought we would lose. We put them to the sword in the first as we got the ball and moved it forward with efficiency. They then played better and we played circuit work and lairised when we had opportunity. Hogan and Gawn the difference. Good confidence builder for Howe and Dawes. Stretch and Harmes took another step in their development. Defensively I thought it was the best we had spread and held position for 4 quarters. Offensively we were horrid in the second half.

Another 4 points. Now 5 wins. I'll take it.

We were decent defensively, but what I noticed about the Lions' zone is that they never (at least consistently) moved their defensive zone over about 25 metres of where the ball was. This meant that so often we could kick over their zone simply by hitting up a short target. It was like playing an under 12s side that all cluster near the ball carrier. It also meant that either the Lions' players weren't working hard enough or Leppitsch is a rubbish coach (or both).

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 1

I don't think anyone has said that. But have a look at some of the posts that led to that 'overreaction' - you'd think we'd been slaughtered by the worst team in the league (except we are the worst apparently).

Some posters are reasonable in their observations. But others are the same ones who refuse to acknowledge a single positive in a loss. P-Man isn't one of these posters, but it is annoying when certain posters don't seem like they will be happy until we are handing out 10 goal thumpings week in week out.

• Like 1

No doubt the win is good for spirit and all of us. Beats a loss any day...BUT let's not kid ourselves this game was not enjoyable to watch after half time. It was damn woeful and shocking brand of football on a perfect weather day.

The custodians of the game except for Hawthorn are destroying the game I love.

Players are like robots and stoppages are an ulcer on the backside of Australian rules football.

Anyway a win is a win....

• Like 1

I thought Stretch showed some promise off half back. Loved the look of Harmes as well.

Really liking Stretch so far. I wasn't sure about how he'd go but even as a slight kid he looks quite comfortable. Reads the play well.

Harmes did look a lot better today. Still a ways to go though.

• Like 2

I bet Roos is absolutely spewing we aren't sitting 12th on 7 wins, especially as we tire coming into the end of the season.

I reckon the young kids are knackered and if we don't get over the Saints, we'll struggle to get another win locked away this year.

No doubt the kids are tiring, the second half is testament to that. While some of our senior players continued to get their hands on it the kids didn't.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Stretch, ANB, Harmes and even Brayshaw miss a game or two over the coming weeks for fresher legs like Michie, Newton, Riley and even a Bail or Jones. Roos flagged in his presser that he wants to continue to look after the kids so I'd expect it to happen. It's the right move too.

• Like 4

I bet Roos is absolutely spewing we aren't sitting 12th on 7 wins, especially as we tire coming into the end of the season.

I reckon the young kids are knackered and if we don't get over the Saints, we'll struggle to get another win locked away this year.

I agree

Brayshaw looked cooked today. Hogan looked cooked last week

Just on Brisbanes midfield.... would have to be the biggest disappointment in the AFL this season.

I know theyve had injuries but they just look like a dysfunctional unit despite all the 'big names'.

Beams, Rich and Christensen are all lazy footballers.

ANB to me is someone i'm just not sold on. Reminds me a lot of Grimes in the way he goes about it. Will need to watch him more before i make any sort of decision on him.

Sheez, the blokes played a few games, managed to kick 3 goals in his first appearance, played the Sub on two occasions and you've got him in your sights.

Wow.

• Like 12