Changes vs Eagles

bandicoot

This is a real danger game for the Weagles.

We go in as under dogs with a boost of confidence from the Geelong game.

They've got some pretty sore bookend players from their match against Richmond in Schofield, McGovern and Cripps (to a lesser extent), none of whom are definite starters.

They'll all be touch and go this week.

On top of McKenzie and Brown being out, I think at least one or two of those sore three won't get up for this game and if that's the case they're in trouble providing our midfield fires.

With Hogan coming in, they'll have him, Dawes, Howe and potentially a resting Gawn or Spencer to deal with if we decide to play two ruckman to combat Nic-Nat.

This is definitely a winnable game, but we need our midfield to get on top and we need to convert most entries inside 50.

Nope I refuse to get my hopes up for this game. After round one I was pumped for the GWS game, after the dogs win I was up for the Port game... I think it's best to go in hoping for the worst like last week and if the impossible is pulled off its great and it's better than having you hopes crushed Edited by JV7
  • Like 1

You do realise that the "Cox effect" relates to all of Naitanui's stats and not just his Melbourne games ?

Btw, the stats only reinforce what my eyes have always told me. Jamar has had his measure for the reason Rjay mentions.

Is that the same Jamar who's playing for Casey? The same Jamar who would be lucky to get 11 touches over 4 games? (Which is what NicNat averages against us per game)

If you honestly think Jamar is our best option for NicNat then it's not your eyes that are the problem...

• Like 1

Is that the same Jamar who's playing for Casey? The same Jamar who would be lucky to get 11 touches over 4 games? (Which is what NicNat averages against us per game)

If you honestly think Jamar is our best option for NicNat then it's not your eyes that are the problem...

I coined the name Doughnuts for Jamar some 10 years ago, Stu, so it's fair to say I've never lost much sleep whether Jamar has played or not.

That said, I'm more than happy to offer a suggestion that allows more erudite thinkers, such as your goodself, to show me the error of my ways.

Edited by ProDee
  • Like 1

I coined the name Doughnuts for Jamar some 10 years ago, Stu, so it's fair to say I've never lost much sleep whether Jamar has played or not.

That said, I'm more than happy to offer a suggestion that allows more erudite thinkers, such as your goodself, to show me the error of my ways.

I don't have that much free time ProDee...

I haven't once advocated for Jamar's inclusion at the expense of Spencer and I think Jake played his role well in the center last round - but before we get carried away and slag off the Russian regarding comparative around the ground statistics, Spencer had a total of six touches against the Cats.

Makes sense. If he was in Perth anyway and extra two days will be fine. And having him sit on a plane for the hours just to fly 3 hours back to Darwin and pointless govern he has back related hamstring issues.

Just watched a replay of the Cats game. Whoever gets dropped will be very unlucky.

The Toump was probably our weakest player on the day but he was great against the Saints.

Even Bail, Jones and Spence were solid contributors.

Dawes was very strong and contested well, eventhough didn't hit the scoreboard.

Riley did well as the sub.

Glad I'm not a selector this week.

• Like 2

Just watched a replay of the Cats game. Whoever gets dropped will be very unlucky.

The Toump was probably our weakest player on the day but he was great against the Saints.

I agree chook. Hogan and Garland are the two obvious ins. I like Riley as sub however would not be against retaining M. Jones and nominating him in as sub as he can hit the scoreboard a little more than Riley. Either Riley or M Jones out and one other, possibly Stretch or Bail. Edited by Ethan Tremblay

Everybody seems to be focussing on NikNat as though he will be the crucial player to stop. Interesting to look at WC's B&F last year where he was named ninth, whilst JW was similarly tenth in our B&F. Perhaps we should be looking at the eight guys ahead of NN when we are suggesting changes rather than putting all our focus on Spencer and Gawn?

• Like 1

Everybody seems to be focussing on NikNat as though he will be the crucial player to stop. Interesting to look at WC's B&F last year where he was named ninth, whilst JW was similarly tenth in our B&F. Perhaps we should be looking at the eight guys ahead of NN when we are suggesting changes rather than putting all our focus on Spencer and Gawn?

Don't be too concerned about where he finished in the B&F last year. He is a prime mover and with Priddis sets up their mids, if we don't allow them first touch then we are a long way towards winning the game.

• Like 2

I agree chook. Hogan and Garland are the two obvious ins. I like Riley as sub however would not be against retaining M. Jones and nominating him in as sub as he can hit the scoreboard a little more than Riley. Either Riley or M Jones out and one other, possibly Stretch or Bail.

I watched Stretch closely and really liked his game. May not accumulate great numbers yet but he knows how to use the ball well by hand and foot, makes good decisions and is composed under pressure.

Brayshaw and ANB are getting all the raps but Billy is right up there as well.

• Like 8

Sure he can Rusty, but no better than Peder etc. did in the other games that Gawn was exhausted in by the last quarter; then our midfield would die and we'd lose the match.

It seems Spencer now contributes far more to our midfield success than that. He hits harder, tackles and exhausts the opposition more and allowed Gawn to play the whole game without running out of gas. Okay Geelong had little ruck strength, but that means this will be more important against the Eagles.

You could be right Rob

Not saying the 2 ruck combo doesn't work against certain opponents. Certainly did at the Cattery but as you say we don't really know how it would work as they didn't have a genuine ruckman that day.

Spencer is certainly a better ruck option than Dawes. But IMO i just think Dawes is a better substitute than Pedo (when he is available), if we can't afford a "too tall" line up against some opponents. Sure we might still lose the ruck contests in general if Dawes is used as the pinch hitter. But IMO from what i've seen, when Pedo is used we absolutely bleed goals out of the center bounce. I would never play Pedo as a pinch hitter in the ruck personally and see Dawes as a "marginally" better option for this "fill in" role when in the team. And i don't necessarily believe he earns a place every week either, especially with a fit Pedo available. I don't think when these 2 are around you can afford both in the team. It's Pedo OR Dawes depending on match ups etc but i wouldn't play Pedo if needed for any type of ruck role. One of the worst "part time" ruckman i've ever seen and not sure why we persist with him in such a role.

Edited by Rusty Nails

He did have an impact Chook i agree, but they keep playing him forward yet he rarely, if ever, impacts the scoreboard. IMO you can't justify your place in the forward line unless you're hitting up a few goals or more every other week (at least). That's why i have a preference for him coming off HB and playing a key role there (especially with Pedo out now), and then as pinch hitter in the ruck while Gawn is resting.

That's if/when we are playing him.

Edited by Rusty Nails

I watched Stretch closely and really liked his game. May not accumulate great numbers yet but he knows how to use the ball well by hand and foot, makes good decisions and is composed under pressure.

Brayshaw and ANB are getting all the raps but Billy is right up there as well.

Spot on. His name shouldn't come up in discussions for who will be left out.

Stretch showed exactly what you want to see in a young player. His composure and evasive skills in tight situations allows him more options when disposing of the ball. And even though he's not a long kick, his disposal is spot on. With greater endurance and strength he'll get to more contests, and his possession numbers will increase.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/weagles-web-fox-footys-gerard-healy-breaks-down-west-coasts-defensive-tactics/story-e6frf3e3-1227421618499

This is really interesting stuff from G. Healy on how the WCE are defending.

Whatever we do we need to move the ball quickly and dont get into the trap of kicking it long down the line.

• Like 1

You could be right Rob

Not saying the 2 ruck combo doesn't work against certain opponents. Certainly did at the Cattery but as you say we don't really know how it would work as they didn't have a genuine ruckman that day.

Spencer is certainly a better ruck option than Dawes. But IMO i just think Dawes is a better substitute than Pedo (when he is available), if we can't afford a "too tall" line up against some opponents. Sure we might still lose the ruck contests in general if Dawes is used as the pinch hitter. But IMO from what i've seen, when Pedo is used we absolutely bleed goals out of the center bounce. I would never play Pedo as a pinch hitter in the ruck personally and see Dawes as a "marginally" better option for this "fill in" role when in the team. And i don't necessarily believe he earns a place every week either, especially with a fit Pedo available. I don't think when these 2 are around you can afford both in the team. It's Pedo OR Dawes depending on match ups etc but i wouldn't play Pedo if needed for any type of ruck role. One of the worst "part time" ruckman i've ever seen and not sure why we persist with him in such a role.

Neither Gawn nor NicNat have the tank to ruck the whole game in Melbourne in winter.

In Darwin, the second ruck will come into play much more.

It's hard to know about NicNat. He's done well this year, and smashed opponents who aren't physically equipped to match him or to combat his leap. His leap gets him into a position for a free hit at the ball, especially at centre bounces, and when this happens he's very good at directing his hitouts to advantage. And the WCE mids have gorged off this supply against teams with a weaker ruck.

But if NicNat's leap is nullified and he's NOT allowed to get a free hit at the ball, how will their mids handle it, especially if a lot of effective hit-outs are going the other way? They're spectacularly good front-runners, but what if it gets tough? Of course, this all depends on Gawn & Spencer being able to break even, and us winning the clearances to back it up.

The clearances are so important in this game, we will have to go in with Spencer as well as Gawn. We lose the clearances, we get smashed.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/weagles-web-fox-footys-gerard-healy-breaks-down-west-coasts-defensive-tactics/story-e6frf3e3-1227421618499

This is really interesting stuff from G. Healy on how the WCE are defending.

Whatever we do we need to move the ball quickly and dont get into the trap of kicking it long down the line.

It probably is interesting however after I was a minute in it asks me to subscribe to access premium content!

i honestly have no idea what they'll do this week. playing up in darwin, going up against nicnat, hogan a definite back in, garland a maybe...

B: Jetta - Dunn - Garland

HB: Cross - T. McDonald - Lumumba

C: Tyson - N Jones - Brayshaw

HF: Watts - Dawes - Toumpas

F: Spencer - Hogan - Garlett

Foll: Gawn - Vince - Viney

I/C: ANB - Howe - Stretch

Sub: M Jones

Emerg: JKH - Bail - Riley